Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #267
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
No, it's not a V4, it's an I4. You're just proving my point with every post - nobody else besides you is calling that a V4, because it's not.

I'm well aware of the engine, the LGT 2.0 liter. It's a honey of a motor too, we legitimately have the power of yester-year's V8's in a compact, fuel efficient 4 cylinder.

If you want to know what a V4 is, go take a look at a Yamaha V-Max (the motorcycle, not the snowmobile.) Totally different from the I4 that you find in a car. Having owned one for several years, I can tell you it's one heck of a motor, what a beast. And the noise!!!
Look dude, the point is that it has 4 CYLINDERS IN IT. You are trying to play semantics and say "gotcha, he didn't define this particular TERM properly" to distract from the POINT I was making.

That's just disingenuous dude.

The point that was being made is that very few people buy V8 units, thus, Chevy has to continue to make the V6 Technology more bad a.ss every year and introduce 4 CYLINDER Camaros (you happy, now?) to keep unit sales of the Camaro going strong....again, because damn near nobody buys a V8.
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #268
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
20 pages and counting...

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #269
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
40 pages in no time LOL
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #270
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
V6 out sells the V8 in 2014

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Production Statistics
The Chevrolet Camaro was the bestselling performance car in America for 2014 with 89,377 sold in the US while another 8,255 were sold in other countries and with 97,632 total units sold for 2014, the Camaro was the bestselling muscle car in the world.
Of those 97,632 Camaros sold for the 2014 model year, 71,481 of them were equipped with the 3.6L V6. In other words, 73.2% of the bestselling muscle car in the world and the bestselling performance model in the US were fitted with the lowest performance engine while just 26.8% had one of the four V8 engines offered in the 2014 Camaro.
Cenafan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #271
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post

The Chevrolet Camaro was the bestselling performance car in America for 2014 with 89,377 sold in the US while another 8,255 were sold in other countries and with 97,632 total units sold for 2014, the Camaro was the bestselling muscle car in the world.
Of those 97,632 Camaros sold for the 2014 model year, 71,481 of them were equipped with the 3.6L V6. In other words, 73.2% of the bestselling muscle car in the world and the bestselling performance model in the US were fitted with the lowest performance engine while just 26.8% had one of the four V8 engines offered in the 2014 Camaro.

Most useless argument ever. ALTIMA'S outsell GTRs like 100:1 so they must be Nissans best car.
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #272
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Look dude, the point is that it has 4 CYLINDERS IN IT. You are trying to play semantics and say "gotcha, he didn't define this particular TERM properly" to distract from the POINT I was making.

That's just disingenuous dude.

The point that was being made is that very few people buy V8 units, thus, Chevy has to continue to make the V6 Technology more bad a.ss every year and introduce 4 CYLINDER Camaros (you happy, now?) to keep unit sales of the Camaro going strong....again, because damn near nobody buys a V8.
It's not semantics, an I4 and a v4 are very different. Any self respecting car guy would not be using the term V4 in place of I4 because it's a dramatic difference.

My point was, you're not a car guy, so your focus and priority are different than those that I would consider to be "car guys." And that distinction has everything to do with this conversation. Your average citizen/non-car guy is perfectly satisfied with whatever is under the hood (and often don't even know what is under the hood) as long as the car looks good. You fall into this category, so your model suits you.

There is also a much smaller subset of folks that want much more from a car than just getting from A to B. In fact, it's about the journey, not just getting from A to B, that they enjoy. These are the folks that want a V8, great suspension, strong brakes, a driver involving gear box, etc.

You're right, the I4 and V6 cars will grossly outsell the V8 cars. There is something for everybody. Why there has to be so much arguing over who has what is beyond me - doesn't make sense. Enjoy what you got!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #273
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post

And I thank them for their sacrifice.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #274
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
And I thank them for their sacrifice.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #275
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
[QUOTE=acammer;9237998]It's not semantics, an I4 and a v4 are very different. Any self respecting car guy would not be using the term V4 in place of I4 because it's a dramatic difference.

My point was, you're not a car guy, so your focus and priority are different than those that I would consider to be "car guys." And that distinction has everything to do with this conversation. Your average citizen/non-car guy is perfectly satisfied with whatever is under the hood (and often don't even know what is under the hood) as long as the car looks good. You fall into this category, so your model suits you.

There is also a much smaller subset of folks that want much more from a car than just getting from A to B. In fact, it's about the journey, not just getting from A to B, that they enjoy. These are the folks that want a V8, great suspension, strong brakes, a driver involving gear box, etc.

You're right, the I4 and V6 cars will grossly outsell the V8 cars. There is something for everybody. Why there has to be so much arguing over who has what is beyond me - doesn't make sense. Enjoy what you got![/QUOTE]

The only arguing going on is the V8 guys telling us V6 guys that we don't have a real Camaro. But I agree I'm all for everybody getting along and enjoying their car
Cenafan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #276
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I am a 6 owner (between 40 and 69 LOL). I bought the 6 car because it was the option I had at the time. Would I like an 8? Sure. Am I happy with my 6? Absolutely. The 6 has more than enough power (if you keep the revs up) to run with, or ahead of most of the cars out there that want to "play" with me, but still if I want economy, I can get ~30 mpg if I want. I've owned 2 V8 Camaros (5.0 / 305cu in engines) that this 6 would run circles around power and economy-wise.

This 'base' LS that I have also out handles both of the other Camaros (an '83 Berlinetta and an '89 RS). And just the other night, I made a crotch rocket eat my dust in the twisties because the rider only knew how to go fast in a straight line. Something I used to do all the time in my '89 against a race-experienced rider. A car will always (at least 99% of the time anyway) be able to out corner a motorcycle ... even though the two-wheeler hot rodders don't like to admit it.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #277
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
nothing wrong owning a v6 if u just need a car to get you from A TO B. but if like most of us here your a car nut then owning a v6 was the wrong car for you.
Nope, it is EXACTLY what I wanted.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #278
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
It's not semantics when you keep insisting that just because an engine has four cylinders that it must be a "V4". At best, it's stubborn carelessness.

Try to understand that the "V" part here refers to the general arrangement of the cylinders in an engine, as seen looking along the crankshaft's long axis. It doesn't have anything to do with the number that follows it, other than numbers that follow a "V" are usually even numbers (yes, V5 engines actually have been built, google it).

The I4 in my daughter's car and the H4 (H for Horizontally opposed) in my wife's current car both stand in opposition to your unwillingness to fix something about the way you want to identify 4-cylinder engines. I'll take what physically exists over what you might want to think here.

These days, the closest you'll get to "V4" in a regular production road car is when the L99 engine is operating in four-cylinder mode. But the 4 inactive cylinders are still there and their pistons are still moving up and down in them. As a historical curiosity more than anything, at one time there were a few four cylinder automobile engines with the cylinders arranged in a V configuration (most notably the European Ford Taunus - yes I spelled it correctly - and Lancia).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-03-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #279
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Everybody pack your sh#t up and move over to the "Why did i get a v8 thread" We have another ball bustin thread that about to take off and its not even on 24s yet but its rollin.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #280
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
It's not semantics, an I4 and a v4 are very different. Any self respecting car guy would not be using the term V4 in place of I4 because it's a dramatic difference.

But you saying "I'm not a car guy" means what exactly? Does it mean I don't know JACK SHYT about cars? That wouldn't be true, I know more than the average person but not more than a guy that works in a repair shop or manufacturing plant.

The "I'm not a car guy" is just another personal ATTACK from a V8 guy to a V6 guy. Dude it's getting old lol. It's either we are driving knock off Chinese Camaros, we aren't driving a "real" Camaro, we have little dycks, we are fags, or we aren't "CAR GUYS"........damn it dude lol, some of us just do NOT want to buy an overkill V8 package for a daily driver. That's really all it comes down to dude. Our dycks aren't little lol.

Quote:
Why there has to be so much arguing over who has what is beyond me - doesn't make sense. Enjoy what you got!
I've been saying "why can't we all just get along" this entire time. But of course the next 3 pages will be filled with more comments about how we all drive Chinese knock-offs, have little dycks, get periods every month, and aren't CAR GUYS.

It's stupid, it's misinformed, it's inaccurate, and it's insane for us V6 guys to have to tell "you car guys" about the damn benefits of modern V6 Technology like you DON'T already know this.

Trust me, those 75% of people who bought the Camaro V6 can buy the V8 option. We aren't broke. We aren't on welfare. We aren't starving. We didn't buy the V8 because we don't fvcking NEED the options that are included with it.
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote