Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #113
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
A lot of reviews, professional and owner state the Mustang is a bouncy mess when trying to drive aggressively. Even the PP firms it up but doesn't fix the inherent issues.

Sure a set of LT headers, intake and tune and they match the straight line performance ( and void their warranty). But there is a lot more to performance than straight line.

I presume big changes will come for the Mustang in 2018.
Well, from my experience Mustang guys who are into speed, 1/4, 0-60 know that a bone stock SS will more than likely beat them with their mods & tune. It's the ones that don't really look into speed that thinks the SS is the same speed or barely faster lol

Stang 5.0 with a tune, converter will prolly beat a stock SS and so will a tune, bolt ons Stang that had weight reduction. The rest won't even compete, stock or mods. Don't ask me how I know, I too owned a 5.0 once and it's a 4-5 car beating from the SS on average.

Life is good!!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #114
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcar16 View Post
yep. its always the jealous husbands attempting to show off their minivans and prove to their wives that they can compete with the camaro. so result: tailgating, angry gestures, break checks, weaving in traffic, and cutting everyone off.

clearly the camaro is not worthy guys
Brake*
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #115
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
The Camaro is a far better looking car in my opinion, so glad I stuck with Chevy (Bowtie or Die) instead of jumping ship and saving a few thousand to go with a Mustang!
Me too. I could've had a GT for the price of my V6, but I'd choose my car every day of the week over a Mustang.

If I had bought a Mustang, I'd have regretted it every time I saw one of these Camaro's.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #116
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
In July of 2014 I test drove a new Camaro, then test drove a new Mustang. In the Camaro I had the issue I have now of seeing over the tach and speedometer, because of that, and because of $6000 price difference for a nicely optioned Mustang after rebate and BNSF discount, I bought the Mustang.

I followed the AllfordMustang and MustangEvolution forums. Here you have a forum for problems with the Camaro. And there are a lot of them, but most of them are various isolated incidents rather than recurring problems on a lot of cars. On the Mustang forums someone would post a problem and there would be pages and pages of "that happened to mine too" posts. The first one I came across was paint bubbling up on the hood. As I researched this I found out it had been a problem with almost all ford models since 2004 when they started using aluminum hoods. There were two class action lawsuits going on because the problem keeps reoccuring, Ford would warranty it until you ran out of warranty then you were on your own. I popped my hood and found it going on. My car was built in March of 2014 I discovered the problem developing in November 2014. It is caused by iron contamination which essentially turns your hood into a battery that used the paint as an electrolyte.

I got the car painted under warranty and got it back in time to go visit a friend at Thanksgiving. On the way there, every time I stopped I got a "service brakes soon" and a traction control problem light. I took the car to the dealer where they found my master cylinder was leaking. They kept my car for a week with no loaner (no problem I have my Buick). When I got it back, it was a Friday, the brakes felt mushy to me. I just got the car back so I drove it home anyway figuring I would take it back in and have them bleed the brakes better on Monday. Monday rolls around and I take the car back, the service guy comes out and says they can't let me drive the car home. The new master cylinder is leaking worse than the last one. This time I made them give me a loaner as a matter of principle. This involved getting shuttled across town to a car rental place, picking up the cheapest rental they had, driving a tin can for a week, then taking it back to the rental company and waiting for a ride to the dealer.

So I get my car back. In April of 2015 I get a recall notice on the air bag. They had no parts they were just letting me know if I bump into something I could be seriously injured or killed by shrapnel. So there's that. Around November I look under my hood and the paint is bubbling once again. I think it was about this time I saw a picture of the new Camaro and loved it at first site. I wished I had waited.

Fast forward to April 2016, still no word on when they would get parts on my airbag. I am having buyer's remorse on my Mustang. I take my Buick in to get my oil changed. Our GM dealer does that just as cheap as I can do it myself. And they record it in carfax which can make an old used car a little easier to sell.

While there I go out to look at the new Camaros in person. Here comes a salesman. "He said do you want to drive it?" I told him no I am just there for an oil change and I don't want to waste his time. He says "no problem I have been wanting a ride in one of these anyway" The next day I was buying my Camaro.

Other recurring problems Mustangs were having on those forums, and there were TSBs out on all of these so I know they were real, were noisy lower control arms, when driving in the rain body panels would fill with water and need to be drained out by drilling holes in strategic places. Premature wearing out of the little button on the shifter for manual mode. There were some more but I don't remember what they were anymore.

I know I am comparing V6 to V6, And comparing a 14 Stang to a 16 Camaro, but in my experience the quality of my Camaro, in spite of it's flaws, is lightyears better than that of my Mustang.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #117
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Since the ZL1 was released ive had two people ask me if my Camaro "has like 650hp," and then they are quite disappointed when i tell them no only 455hp., and the ZL1 is not for sale yet...
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #118
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryMan View Post
Ha yes!
So far I delivered a BMW M4 (not positive on the yr), 2005 Vette, and a 2016 Mustang (had the ecoboost).

I crossed paths with a Ford Focus RS hatch (the RS does have some serious hp & Tq), but we just couldn't go at, too many cars, couldn't line up- it's all in good fun man!!

I'm basically the only Camaro SS slugging it out with the other cars in the Cleveland area...I've only seen a Hyper BLue SS on the road so far.

I also seen 2 of our RS V6 (possibly the T4) brothers on the rd. I know they are holding their own!

NO MAN...NO you're not lol.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #119
mws517
Red Hot A8

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, black
I have had a rice burner try me at a red light, i gave him about a 2 second head start and then just walked past him, I could hear his car just scream. I have had 2 chargers and and challenger try me as well. The last thing I saw of them were their headlights. I also had an RS roll past me and laughing as he passed me, well within a few seconds I walked by him and he wasn't laughing like his wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat was, I admit, that made me giggle.

Last edited by mws517; 10-21-2016 at 05:13 PM.
mws517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #120
DRK NY8

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I had some guy tell me SS stood for "Super Slow" and that the car weighed 4500 pounds. As far as I'm concerned, I don't weigh 700 pounds so he is definitely wrong on that one. Oh forgot to mention he drives a mercedes benz c300 which is absolutely horrid when comparing performance numbers. So many people look past my camaro, they did the same with my 2014 SS which I used to have. I live in a town that's full of entry level mercedes and BMW's who think that their sub par hp numbers can compare to a naturally aspirated engine with 455 hp and torque. Hell, these new camaros destroy plenty of M and AMG cars on the track now.

Last edited by DRK NY8; 10-21-2016 at 08:04 PM.
DRK NY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #121
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Until I find the like button <like>
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #122
2015 1LE SS

Drives: 2017 2SS
I've had a guy try to race me and my uncle in his C7 Z06 with a Infiniti G37
2015 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #123
Donner

I just got my 17 Camaro but have found that here in Southern Virginia, the respect between hot rodders is broad and awesome. There are exchanges of all sorts including the big wave out the side windows, the head nods of course, and even the thumbs up. Yesterday, I was stunned that a big Mercedes convertible gave me the former along with a big grin. It took me by surprise. Today I returned the gesture to an M6 BMW convertible that was rolling pass me on the interstate. Both of us were tops down a loving the sunshine. He was as stunned as I was yesterday so all is good.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #124
Donner

This was a fun thread to read. Here's my story (also posted on facebook)

On the way home from seeing the movie, the accountant (worth seeing if you like shoot em up bang bangs) the boss and I were rolling up Richmond Road, otherwise known as route 60. This was just prior to sundown. A silver fourth generation (1994–2004) mustang was working hard to real us in with his darting and weaving through traffic in a full scale effort to catch up. Once on my tail, he road rather closely though the lane to the left was mostly open (we were in the right lane and had been there all along).

Still, there was a fair bit of traffic about. Two young males were giddy and giggling broadly having fair prey in their sights. They had their windows down too. As they swung over to come along side, I spoke of them to the boss while flipping the HABU from touring mode into track. The NPP exhaust system opened up with a notable bark. I down shifted from 5th to 4th as their hood came along side my rear bumper. I had no plan to run them as I am breaking in the motor properly. It was just a threat. The growl of the exhaust was enough to lessen their zeal. Stunned, the poor driver pressed his brakes and disappeared in the trailing distance. He wanted no part of that action. I'll chalk it up to a win by intimidation.

Kindest regards,

Donner
Old 10-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #125
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
The true equalizer is racing on a curved course as it takes actual skill (Ill take that challenge any day). If someone rolls past me at a stoplight looking to race 100MPH down a city street, Ill send my congrats as they "win" their brand new criminal speeding ticket.

When the soccer mom driving the new Tesla sedan in ludicrious mode smokes everyone from a standstill, guess we'll declare her a racing legend. LOL

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 10-23-2016 at 01:05 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #126
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Around my area high riding big dollar v-8 pickups (all models with a lot of big diesel engines thrown in the mix) are very popular. Just about any time I roll away from a light with enough acceleration to make even a little exhaust growl and one of these big guys is next to me - they respond as if its a challenge and do this loud, tire whining, diesel clattering fly-by! I don't street race so I let them slide - what would be the point anyway. They seem to equate making a lot of noise with being fast.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote