Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
How they convert the Camaro to a Bandit-era Trans Am

Here's video of behind the scenes at the shop that converts an SS into a 740-hp Trans-Am
http://www.thedrive.com/video/4205/d...e-fun?xid=fbdt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
I love the idea that you could buy a Trans-Am.

With that said, at the end of the day, its always going to be a Camaro that been modified.

Dont get me wrong... if GM did a limited edition of TA's, then thats what I would be after.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #3
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I always wondered what an in-house GM designed 5th gen Zeta based Trans Am (or Firebird) would've looked like.

Since the Firebird always had a somewhat swoopier front fender and hood line appearance, GM probably would've modified the front fender and radiator core support structure on the Zeta II to accomodate the sleeker Firebird design.

GM did this beginning with the 3rd gen F-body back in 1982. If you take the front fenders off a '82-'92 Camaro, the engine compartment frame rail support structure under the fenders follow the more curved body line of the Firebird. The 4th gen F-body continued this same design practice as well.

When I look at stripped or wrecked 5th gen Camaros on Copart, the inner front fender frame rail support structure around the engine compartment follows a rather straight line for the Camaro style front fenders. A Firebird model would undoubtably be more curved down towards the front for a sleeker "beak-like" appearance.

So, the Zeta II would have been modified in this area back when initial development was taking place. I'm sure this would have increased development costs when the Zeta platform was originally selected to underpin the new 5th gen Camaro. However, I do wish GM hadn't axed Pontiac. Pontiac had a lot of potential when it came to performance cars and the Firebird Trans Am was one of them.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I always felt the TA was gaudy and still do. But I like the motor!