Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #29
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
I thought about a ZL1, but like anyone person said, NO Aqua blue... yeah I could repaint but there is another 5-8K for GOOD paint. Zl1s put down what 510-520 to the wheels and cost about $20K more than new SS. I have about 8-9K in the "power" portion of my build and am right at 500 to the wheels. I'm ok with that. By no means do I mean I'm done but for what I have paid to what I have, I would take mine over a stock ZL1 anyday. Sounds better, runs just as good (only real difference is drivers), and come on you just cant beat ABM lol... Although I gotta give it to GM the ZL1 front end was way better looking, but EASY swap.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
10k for cam /headers /cold air intake/tune, that's more like 1/2 of that with install by the best around here for that 100 h.p. but you determine how mild or wild the cam is and that's on you......so 5k is more reasonable with all parts included and a good timing chain and pump....... I know I buy all my own parts usually. SO then you think about suspension etc..... well then , most aftermarket parts are based a lot off of stiffness comparisons to the 1le or zl1 which they both can outperform..... its all in choices.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Aftermarket parts CAN be expensive, and many are not of the best quality, nor easy to install. But for some of us, it is the fun of creating a car that suits your individual taste, selecting and ordering the best parts, slogging through some difficult installation, and persistent debugging to achieve a integrated vehicle that performs and looks good.

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
I bought my car used. I couldn't exactly afford a brand new 2ss. But it can save up some cash and get a turbo or whatever when I can. And some people (like me) also would like to do some stuff on their own. Something about working in your own vehicle, be it a brand new sports car, or an old beater is something you can be proud of.
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #33
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
The deal here is the jump off platform. The ZL1 will chassis and drivetrain will handle in excess of 1300 Rwhp and not have issues. It is a really really strong car. The LSA will support 800 rwhp before you need to go into the motor with improved rods and pistons. Figure about 15,000 for a complete 800 rwhp build, with no internals. This is a package cost with no work done by owner.... all shop parts and labor. This is also priced by the best of the best, so cheaper is out there but why risk it.

The beauty of it is the car except for the tires, handles much higher power levels in stride and still has the ability to be a 1/4 runner, road course monster, or even a daily driver. Add just a few suspension mods such as Detroit speed springs and you have a super insane trackday car.

Now those who just want a straight line ride it is a different story, I would start with an SS and add the ZL1 drivetrain ie rear end, driveline, axles etc then mod the motor.

If you want a do all monster the Z is a better starting point.
I have to agree with NorCal ZL1. If you want an all around high end sports sedan and are planning on modding a SS go for the ZL1. When I purchased my fully loaded SS convertible just over 3 years ago I test drove a fully loaded ZL1 and wasn't that impressed as I was comparing it to my buddies Z06. And it was $24 more with the discounts than mine. If you calculate the tax difference in California that is another $2k for $26000 more. But, as I got started with my mods one thing led to another and with full suspension mods, wider PSS tires, all bolt ons, supercharger and gear upgrade I have spent at least $13000 as I don't do most of the work myself. This is more cost effective, but, if I take the next step to add a cam, ZL1 pump, better axles, etc. this is where it gets more expensive and less reliable. You get a stronger motor, trans, differential, forged wheels, mag ride, the aero kit, dual mode exhaust, flat bottom steering wheel, better brakes, nicer pedals and more. I like my build and it is my own style, but, if I knew what I know now and where I was going I would go ZL1.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #34
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
I have to agree with NorCal ZL1. If you want an all around high end sports sedan and are planning on modding a SS go for the ZL1. When I purchased my fully loaded SS convertible just over 3 years ago I test drove a fully loaded ZL1 and wasn't that impressed as I was comparing it to my buddies Z06. And it was $24 more with the discounts than mine. If you calculate the tax difference in California that is another $2k for $26000 more. But, as I got started with my mods one thing led to another and with full suspension mods, wider PSS tires, all bolt ons, supercharger and gear upgrade I have spent at least $13000 as I don't do most of the work myself. This is more cost effective, but, if I take the next step to add a cam, ZL1 pump, better axles, etc. this is where it gets more expensive and less reliable. You get a stronger motor, trans, differential, forged wheels, mag ride, the aero kit, dual mode exhaust, flat bottom steering wheel, better brakes, nicer pedals and more. I like my build and it is my own style, but, if I knew what I know now and where I was going I would go ZL1.

Yea a lot of people ignore the aero, and other engineering such as the PTM modes when it comes to the mod comparisons.

Then there is modding the Z which 600 rwhp is just a couple of thousand dollars. Just a CAI, headers and a lower 10% pulley and injectors will net over 600 at the wheels. Throw a BTR 3 cam in there closer to 700, with a fuel pump voltage booster.

Do a cam, headers, CAI, and injectors you have a low boost 600 and can skip the cooling mods

If you know how, or have the time you can install the parts yourself and take it to a good tuner. 750 at the wheels is then about 8 grand. Thats an additional 250 rwhp gain.

But the best part is the car is already capable of handling the higher power levels..... plus more if you want to spend more on it. My builder is running 1300 rwhp and the car is docile, and quiet unless you stomp it total sleeper car that runs the mile at 200+, and is stable as cruising down the freeway.

Then again props to.those who want to build up, esp makes sense for a straight line car.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #35
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Aftermarket parts CAN be expensive, and many are not of the best quality, nor easy to install. But for some of us, it is the fun of creating a car that suits your individual taste, selecting and ordering the best parts, slogging through some difficult installation, and persistent debugging to achieve a integrated vehicle that performs and looks good.

This is a great build, love it!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #36
dreyesforeal

Drives: 2013 camaro LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Yea a lot of people ignore the aero, and other engineering such as the PTM modes when it comes to the mod comparisons.

Then there is modding the Z which 600 rwhp is just a couple of thousand dollars. Just a CAI, headers and a lower 10% pulley and injectors will net over 600 at the wheels. Throw a BTR 3 cam in there closer to 700, with a fuel pump voltage booster.

Do a cam, headers, CAI, and injectors you have a low boost 600 and can skip the cooling mods

If you know how, or have the time you can install the parts yourself and take it to a good tuner. 750 at the wheels is then about 8 grand. Thats an additional 250 rwhp gain.

But the best part is the car is already capable of handling the higher power levels..... plus more if you want to spend more on it. My builder is running 1300 rwhp and the car is docile, and quiet unless you stomp it total sleeper car that runs the mile at 200+, and is stable as cruising down the freeway.

Then again props to.those who want to build up, esp makes sense for a straight line car.
makes sense. and yeah some just would straight line drag race or from a roll not neccesarily track it
dreyesforeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #37
Meltdown
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Interesting question.

I bought my 2SS/RS Camaro used. In general terms, I can afford a new Camaro...but then I wouldn't have enough left over to customize it to my personal taste.

After buying the car last December, I've sunk about $6k into it. $2k was simply routine stuff for consumables (brakes, fluids, belts, etc.) The other $4k was on a total audio system upgrade (Focal speakers front & rear, 2 amplifiers, subwoofer, Dynamat, Audison Bit Ten controller, & installation).

Next set of upgrades will probably (and this is simply a guess until I speak with an installer/tuner) run $12k or so. Whipple, headers, suspension bits.

Even with all that money spent on mods, I'll still spend less than I would have on a brand new SS...and vastly less than a ZL1. Moreover...I'll end up with a car that's been modified exactly to my liking. :-)

Cheers!
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #38
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
My thoughts as well. No disrespect to those that are proud of their stock cars, and take them to meets and such, but there's just something about wrenching on yours and coming away with that certain sense of pride and accomplishment.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #39
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
My thoughts as well. No disrespect to those that are proud of their stock cars, and take them to meets and such, but there's just something about wrenching on yours and coming away with that certain sense of pride and accomplishment.

Exactly nothing wrong with that. These days though I have been too busy at work to even open my tool box for years. I used to do everything, now I don't even change my own oil. I do my own detailing, but farm out the mechanicals. 10 years ago no way would I let someone do any mechanical work, or mods, builds etc. It sucks but now my busy life has removed any desire to do any project that takes more than a few hours. Wifes job is much the same, so we also farm out housekeeping, and yard care, so at least we can get out and burn some gas.

I would rather do it myself...... no time.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #40
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Though different from the OP's original post, this thread has taken an interesting turn. The focus on the ZL1 for modding is interesting, given how deep the GM parts bin for the 5th Gen has become. The Torsen differential in the Z/28 is one heck of a piece and doesn't even get a mention. ZL1 aero doesn't create down force. The ZL1 aero is more about absence of lift. In all the references to the ZL1, no one has mentioned that the ZL1 is by far the heaviest 5th Gen model.

What ever happened to buying the most stripped down, barest bones model and building from there?

Just thinking out loud here.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #41
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Yup...exactly.
Like stated before, some people starting from an SS platform are sinking upwards of $15k with cam + supercharger (plus basic bolt ons) and that includes install with a tune.

However that doesn't even touch the suspension in order to put that power into the ground and then you have yourself a heavily modified car.

Don't get me wrong, that's the beauty of modding and I think it's great! Shoot I would be right there with you guys pushing over 500 rwhp to the wheels with a sick suspension set up.

But in my humble opinion, I can't justify the price of a supercharger + cam + bolt ons nowadays when ZL1s are just right around the corner in terms of price.

To me it just makes more sense to get the all around better car, than to pay 6 year old prices modding prices on a car that ended up being produced over 500,000 times.
$7k for a supercharger and $5k for a cam with install + tune made sense 3 years ago.
The ZL1 was new, few people could outright afford a new one and a few more people could afford a slightly used one.

Now they're much more affordable and after you do the math like stated several times before, the prices on mods do not justify themselves in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash anyone here or tell people how to spend their money.

I just think modding prices are ridiculous when you do all the math at the end of the day.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #42
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Yup...exactly.
Like stated before, some people starting from an SS platform are sinking upwards of $15k with cam + supercharger (plus basic bolt ons) and that includes install with a tune.

However that doesn't even touch the suspension in order to put that power into the ground and then you have yourself a heavily modified car.

Don't get me wrong, that's the beauty of modding and I think it's great! Shoot I would be right there with you guys pushing over 500 rwhp to the wheels with a sick suspension set up.

But in my humble opinion, I can't justify the price of a supercharger + cam + bolt ons nowadays when ZL1s are just right around the corner in terms of price.

To me it just makes more sense to get the all around better car, than to pay 6 year old prices modding prices on a car that ended up being produced over 500,000 times.
$7k for a supercharger and $5k for a cam with install + tune made sense 3 years ago.
The ZL1 was new, few people could outright afford a new one and a few more people could afford a slightly used one.

Now they're much more affordable and after you do the math like stated several times before, the prices on mods do not justify themselves in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash anyone here or tell people how to spend their money.

I just think modding prices are ridiculous when you do all the math at the end of the day.
Nothing about the cars we drive can be justified.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote