Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Have you ever used this to remove the clear coat blob.. The amazon reviews are mixed for the clear coat blob...

Regarding your other points, they make sense now.. Thanks for the info.
What you will do is use it to level the blob, since it's been on for a while it may take a few applications.

Had you posted before buying stuff, for smaller chips, smaller then the size of a pencil eraser, Dr Colorchip works great, and you get everything you need with a basic kit for 39.99, including paint.

Edit: The reason you see bad reviews for this product is that people don't use it properly, it doesn't work, and they blame the product.

The green your seeing I'm 99.9% sure is from the tape. Scratch X contains a solvent, the dye in the tape left discoloration. Rubbing Alcohol, or distilled white vinegar should take care of it easily.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-08-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #16
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
I think I ruined it even more last night... I got some 3M masking tape (green) and then created a very small work area for the touch up with the blob... Used the Scratch X 2.0, but it didnt work.. Next I went back to PaintScratch.com's video on touch ups and as per their recommendation used the Lacquer thineer to reset the touch up. Well, it removed the touch up job nice and fine, but not the blob surrounding the paint.. The thing is now that work area has become a little green in color..a distinctive square .. not sure if its the color from the tape or if I actually removed more clear coat (which makes no sense cos the blob never went).

I should have just let the rock chip be there..

Next time I will try your idea of mixing the color with the clear coat and then applying it.
I've repaired a lot of rock chips over the years. They never turn out so perfectly that you can't find them, but from 5-10 feet away they'll fool people who don't know where to look. Two things:

1. Don't use excessive touch-up paint. I actually fold up a piece of aluminum foil and put a little dab of paint on the foil. I then use a shaved-down toothpick with a little droplet of paint on it to apply the paint to the car. Less is better.

2. No matter what, there'll be a blob. I like this 3M product (which you can get lots of places) to rub down the blob. TIP: to avoid wearing out the surrounding clear coat, wrap a double thickness of old cotton t-shirt around the flat side of a credit card. Pull the t-shirt taut around the card. Put some 3M on this flat surface (I like to use just one corner) and rub the blob carefully. As much as you can, rub only on the blob. Done right, you'll flatten the blob and spare the surrounding clear coat.
Attached Images

GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
So I have uploaded a couple of photos of the touch. The spotting is light and not visible through photos clearly... But if u concentrate on the black spot and the area surrounding it.. You can see the surrounding area being a bit darker than the rest of the car... Its like a small square around the black spot... Hope u guys can see it ... ItsIt's not visible through photos much.. And my wife didnt see it in person unless I told her abt the spot... But now that I know where the spot is... I cant get my eyes off it
Attached Images