Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #71
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I believe they did set up a profit sharing program actually.
That is nice to hear. I know when it comes time to give that extra, a lot of employers do nothing but give to upper management-frustrating.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #72
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I remember in the 70's when the warranty was 12 month 12k miles. That was it. Also that 5 year 100k powertrain warranty really only benefited a small market segment. Not that many people put on 20k miles a year, year after year. That being said since it only really effected a small customer base, why not leave it in place?
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #73
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
That is nice to hear. I know when it comes time to give that extra, a lot of employers do nothing but give to upper management-frustrating.
If so frustrating, then why did they not apply for her job, or negotiate some bonus into there pay?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #74
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
If so frustrating, then why did they not apply for her job, or negotiate some bonus into there pay?
My comment was not specific to GM

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #75
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Wait, I thought the dude abides?!!?!?!?! lol

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
transitive verb

1: to wait for : await

2 a : to endure without yielding : withstand b : to bear patiently : tolerate <cannot abide such bigots>

3: to accept without objection <will abide your decision>
Have you ever watched The Big Lebowski? Not what it means.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #76
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I remember in the 70's when the warranty was 12 month 12k miles. That was it. Also that 5 year 100k powertrain warranty really only benefited a small market segment. Not that many people put on 20k miles a year, year after year. That being said since it only really effected a small customer base, why not leave it in place?
Live in Texas... 20k is easy to do.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #77
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
...did you seriously just cite Consumer Reports as a metric for anything automotive?
Even JD Powers lists Chevrolet as #17 on power-train dependability. #20 on Mechanical Quality and #21 for Power-Train Quality.

I am happy my Chevy has been great so far.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #78
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I had NO idea there was no indicator for low oil in a modern engine. (However, if your oil was extremely low, wouldn't that show on the oil pressure gauge?)
I just finished working on a 3.6L powered Saturn Aura (near identical engine to the Camaro) that came in complaining of a check engine light and a rattling from the engine. I checked the oil, found it to be 4 1/2 quarts low. The rattle was the camshaft actuators due to aerated oil. While the oil pressure was not low enough to turn on the idiot light, it was low enough to become aerated. The oil pressure sensor is not sensitive enough to account for a near instant drop and increase of pressure. I in no way am giving an excuse for the 3.6L, as I am really no fan of it. An oil level indicator would be a nice thing, but ultimately maintenance of a vehicle should be left up to the owner of the vehicle. I am not going to rely on a human designed system when all that is required is opening the hood and pulling a thin piece of metal out to verify the level. I've never been stranded due to a mechanical failure of any of my vehicle, I keep a very close eye on them and repair or maintain as needed.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #79
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I just finished working on a 3.6L powered Saturn Aura (near identical engine to the Camaro) that came in complaining of a check engine light and a rattling from the engine. I checked the oil, found it to be 4 1/2 quarts low. The rattle was the camshaft actuators due to aerated oil. While the oil pressure was not low enough to turn on the idiot light, it was low enough to become aerated. The oil pressure sensor is not sensitive enough to account for a near instant drop and increase of pressure. I in no way am giving an excuse for the 3.6L, as I am really no fan of it. An oil level indicator would be a nice thing, but ultimately maintenance of a vehicle should be left up to the owner of the vehicle. I am not going to rely on a human designed system when all that is required is opening the hood and pulling a thin piece of metal out to verify the level. I've never been stranded due to a mechanical failure of any of my vehicle, I keep a very close eye on them and repair or maintain as needed.
Wow thanks!

I change my own oil as I think most on the forum seem to do. But I will be checking between changes now for sure. I am guessing about every other fill-up would be reasonable (about 600 miles).

The spat of recent engine failures I have been reading about (all showing no oil) does make me wonder where the oil went. Someone recently blew an engine 2500 miles after a change. Perhaps it leaked out on the road and went unnoticed? I always keep a clean cardboard mat on the garage floor to quickly spot any leaks.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #80
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
nothing a 2-3 grand reduction in Camaro price wouldn't fix

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #81
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
That's funny since VW despite the emissions scandal, had a profit of over 3%.
Have you sat in a VW? They're all Mexican made with interiors honestly on par with any Chevy offering and they charge a premium for the badge. So I'm sure they have their profit margins covered lol

Also I knew this thread would spiral lol
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #82
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
nothing a 2-3 grand reduction in Camaro price wouldn't fix
IDK. Seen one in the wild yesterday. Not sure I care for the appearance updates...
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #83
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Wow thanks!

I change my own oil as I think most on the forum seem to do. But I will be checking between changes now for sure. I am guessing about every other fill-up would be reasonable (about 600 miles).

The spat of recent engine failures I have been reading about (all showing no oil) does make me wonder where the oil went. Someone recently blew an engine 2500 miles after a change. Perhaps it leaked out on the road and went unnoticed? I always keep a clean cardboard mat on the garage floor to quickly spot any leaks.
The 3.6L is guaranteed to develop a leak at the front cover sometime in it's life. It's highly unlikely however to leak enough to cause a low oil condition. A 600 mile check of oil should be sufficient to catch the oil consumption. Good luck with your V6
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #84
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
The 3.6L is guaranteed to develop a leak at the front cover sometime in it's life. It's highly unlikely however to leak enough to cause a low oil condition. A 600 mile check of oil should be sufficient to catch the oil consumption. Good luck with your V6
My 12 LFX had the front cover seal replaced at 6k miles. Only slight weeping, but had it done. My dad's 12 has 12k miles on it, and I watch it closely, but nothing so far. Wish it would hurry up since I'm almost certain it's only a matter of time.