Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-03-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Laguna Seca 1.50.89

Damn, I still cannot break 1:50. Advice welcome!

PS - I **love** the 6 piston calipers. Best mod I've put on this car. The 2016/17s SS's can be ordered with them as a dealer installed option.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418667

CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
They were available on the 14/15s as a dealer installed option as well. Not sure many forked over the ca$h for them, though? Nice video!
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Are you still stock besides the brakes? I have only been there once and my best was a 1:48.2 in stock form. Before I got on track I did a ride along with backeddy he really knows that track and it gave me a good idea of where I could push hard. Also following some faster local guys gave me some line help and again where I needed to push harder.

I Will be there in a couple weeks but I now have about 100 more HP so while I expect to be faster I am not going to really know my true lap time improvements compared to last time. need a new benchmark with the car.
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I need to put my headphones on and listen to your throttle pickup points. At work right now, so I'll take a listen when I get home. I like your line through 2, I need to take a listen but I feel like you might be turning in slightly too early on 3. You left some speed on the table through 1 (though I get how scary 1 can be at full tilt). 3 was as far as I got before the vid cut out on me (work dammit). More later.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Excellent driving! It sounds (to me at least) that you could be a gear lower coming out of T1.

I'd love to drive around this place at some point.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Nice vid! It's funny, I've run LS so many times on Xboxone I actually know the track when I watch the vid LOL.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Watch and learn from Randy!

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
Are you still stock besides the brakes? I have only been there once and my best was a 1:48.2 in stock form. Before I got on track I did a ride along with backeddy he really knows that track and it gave me a good idea of where I could push hard. Also following some faster local guys gave me some line help and again where I needed to push harder.

I Will be there in a couple weeks but I now have about 100 more HP so while I expect to be faster I am not going to really know my true lap time improvements compared to last time. need a new benchmark with the car.
Embarrassingly, yes albeit minor ... I've added shorty headers, a CAI, tune and a harness bar / harness. I suspect I'm not smooth enough yet and scrubbing too much speed when braking and entering corners.

Cornerspeed92 ran 1:48 in a stock 1LE with no mods.

Seems that problem is my driving.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Nice vid! It's funny, I've run LS so many times on Xboxone I actually know the track when I watch the vid LOL.
XBOX Forza helped me between the straight and 1 to 2 & 3. You have to go full throttle and NOT LET UP over the hill at 1. In Forza you'll slide off path. In real life you can spin if you brake or let up. It's great to practice this on the XBOX.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
XBOX Forza helped me between the straight and 1 to 2 & 3. You have to go full throttle and NOT LET UP over the hill at 1. In Forza you'll slide off path. In real life you can spin if you brake or let up. It's great to practice this on the XBOX.
That's actually really interesting! How helpful was it to already know the right lines to take in the game when you got to the real thing? Are they close? Sorry I don't mean to derail your thread OP!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Hey Brian, all you need is more track time, it will come. Just getting this on your radar, im coming out of retirement running Fontana again on Oct 2nd if you can make it down. As well, how is it shaping up for you to run Silverstate in Sept?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Embarrassingly, yes albeit minor ... I've added shorty headers, a CAI, tune and a harness bar / harness. I suspect I'm not smooth enough yet and scrubbing too much speed when braking and entering corners.

Cornerspeed92 ran 1:48 in a stock 1LE with no mods.

Seems that problem is my driving.
Nothing to be embarrassed about, hey you are out there tracking it! Hell I am not the fastest by far and could improve a ton more but I am having fun! As cornerspeed said its all bout seat time.

Your lines look nice and clean and you look pretty smooth. Just seems you need to push it up a bit. I noticed in your video compared to mine, that I seem to have a bit higher sustained G's through the corners. That is just getting in a little deeper, faster and picking up throttle a bit earlier. Below is one of my vids not the fastest session but a decent reference.

Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #13
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I need to put my headphones on and listen to your throttle pickup points. At work right now, so I'll take a listen when I get home. I like your line through 2, I need to take a listen but I feel like you might be turning in slightly too early on 3. You left some speed on the table through 1 (though I get how scary 1 can be at full tilt). 3 was as far as I got before the vid cut out on me (work dammit). More later.
Listen to Randy's lap as posted in this thread and your own. Pay special attention to where he picks up the throttle in a corner versus where you pick up the throttle in a corner. You're also taking the "smooth is fast" mantra to a natural extreme. You can speed up your steering movements by a factor of three at least. Throw the car around a bit. You should get into the habit of feathering/testing the steering wheel mid-corner. Wiggle (for lack of better term) the steering wheel. If the car responds to the additional steering input, then there is more grip there and you are leaving speed on the table. If your steering motions aren't doing anything at all to the car's slip angle/motions, then you are already at the limits of adhesion and more speed or steering angle will have no positive effect. This technique also keeps the hands in perpetual motion and makes it more intuitive/easier/quicker to react to oversteer situations when they occur. This will, in turn, make you more confident in your ability to apply power out of a corner earlier and harder and greatly improve your lap times. In the following videos, watch the hands of the drivers mid-corner. Yes, some of its bump-steer, but most of its deliberate:

Watch Lally at 2:28 here:

You're lifting on turn one. I doubt you need to. Get on the throttle *before* the final apex of turn 2 and get on it hard. For turn 3, you're picking up the throttle initially before the apex, but you're not accelerating there, you're just maintaining RPM/speed ... put your foot into it deeper there to pick up more speed. There's some speed on the table in 4 and 5, but the lines are good. 6 is tricky in a street car in my opinion. Your line through the screw is good, and as mentioned earlier, you need to pick up the throttle earlier in the final corners (9, 10, and 11).

All in all, good job. Pick up that throttle earlier and you'll watch the time melt away.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Hi Brian.
Looks like some fun times. At the end of the day that, and the fact you drove the car home after the event are all that really matter. Laguna , like Sears Point are not the best of tracks to hang it out too much. Quite a few places if you screw up, the car will be finished. There are places to push it and places that it is best not.

I have this track on a simulator, which has a laser scanned track surface and is accurate down to every last bump. It gives you a safe way to learn the track, I even use a 5th gen race car, and its pretty accurate. A good tool, but not the real thing you need to drive home at the end of the day.

Just keep driving at your comfort zone.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote