Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #127
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
I don't like driving the car because I feel there are blind spots. The wife is normal human size and with everything adjusted she has noted no real issues other than a learning curve coming from sedans/suv's. I will say this we test drove 4 6 cyls and 4 v8 and every salesman spent more time talking about how it's harder to see out of than anything like 455 hp, options like nav etc. Also of note we have had some heavy rain here recently and the BSM will go off in anything more than a slight drizzle. Maybe it's just more lucky things that are "special" about our car. So we just pretend it's not there and we just double check before lane changes etc.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #128
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I bet an alpha based sedan would have worse visibility and trunk space than the current SS.. Have you been in a CTS?

Maybe they didn't sacrifice market share with the visibility. You simply don't know what percentage of people are turning away from purchasing the car due to visibility and you don't know how many would walk away if the design was different with better visibility. CLEARLY YOU BOUGHT THE CAR AND YOU ABSOLUTELY HATE IT.. Or so you say.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #129
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb91 View Post
The problem is some people may read the reviews and think the visibility is so bad that it's unsafe to drive, which is not true. I understand that some may not like the feeling of driving a car with smaller windows/a higher beltline, etc. but that's mainly a personal preference, not a safety issue - you can still see everything you need to see to drive the car safely.
And that is the almost 7 year old battle that GM is STILL fighting.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #130
ChefBorOzzy

You didn't experience visibility issues on the test drive, but did later? WOW. That's impressive. First thing that I noticed as soon as I sat in a 2012 Camaro was the small windshield and very limited rear window.. Same thing with the 2016.

I've driven an SS, CTS, and ATS. Alpha platform so far has had worse rear legroom than pretty much any other car in the class and typically has smaller trunks.. So, good luck with the Alpha based SS. It would probably be smaller all around.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #131
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
This is a mans car if you can't back it up you sir are a women go buy a smart car. Just joking I don't find it that bad same as any other sports car always a few draw backs but always worth the sacrifice. Visibility don't bother me I actually love the car for its small windows high lines and low roof.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #132
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I bet an alpha based sedan would have worse visibility and trunk space than the current SS.. Have you been in a CTS?

Maybe they didn't sacrifice market share with the visibility. You simply don't know what percentage of people are turning away from purchasing the car due to visibility and you don't know how many would walk away if the design was different with better visibility. CLEARLY YOU BOUGHT THE CAR AND YOU ABSOLUTELY HATE IT.. Or so you say.
But GM knows. They will just not likely share.

I saw studies waved by the styling guys. "xx% of the people buy our cars because of styling". And that carried weight. Problem is the number of buyers keeps going down for GM. What was never discussed was why xx% would not even consider a GM vehicle, or what % of rejectors did so for the same reason. I expect that to change for the first time in quite a while with the onslaught of new and at the very least competitive products. The whole Chevy lineup will be nearly all new in less than a year.

Don't misunderstand, in know there are many on is site that love it that there car is rare. But I spent a lot of time over coffee with friends talking about what it would take for GM to truly dominate again and I mean 40% market share dominating. That takes products with broad appeal to a widermrange of buyers in today's market. No longer can you afford even 3 brands to offer products fighting for the same sale.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #133
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I can't deny it, and won't. Because you're right.

I just happen to fall of the side of the fence that agrees with the decision they made to prioritize the style of the car over the glass area. It could be better...but then the style WOULD be sacrificed. No way around it. Would it look good? Yes. Stunning? Probably not. And they opted to prioritize design (based, again, on input from customers across the spectrum).

Once more, I'll remind you that visibility was an "issue" last generation. They chose not to change it in the redesign, therefore I have to assume they felt it was important enough for the car's character not to. That's a bet they'll have to live with and watch it play out over the next several years. Nothing will be done before a new generation.

But back in the present: I don't think it's hurting sales. And I don't think the Mustang's extra glass is helping their sales, any. It didn't impact last generation's sales, and there's no reason to support that it's affecting this generation either. So I do not agree with your argument that they could get more sales if they changed the design and add more glass. Which makes the entire discussion kind of moot.
You know the first question I get when I show people my Camaro? Seriously every person ask how I can see out of it. Every. Single. One. Know how many asked that about my GTO? None. See a perception problem there? You give people the idea and perception that it's hard to see out of then it's hard to drive then it's not going in their drive way.

You are absolutely fooling yourself if you think none of the extra Mustang sales are not coming from people who think it's a better all around car and it is. Part of that is the fact it doesn't have that stigma that it's hard to see out of.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #134
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
What part of I did NOT lose someone in my blind spot until AFTER I bought my 2016 SS don't you understand?
Same thing about not being able to see concrete curbs and islands in parking lots on my passenger side.

Do you realize what your sarcasm makes you look like when some of us are trying to have an intelligent and honest conversation about our Camaro's that we OWN?

And to those taking shots at my driving experience or manhood, keep it classy.
Maybe you should stop editing your posts and adding more information after I make a reply.

That's great you own it.. I suggest selling it and picking up another car that suits you and you can see out of. I have a very hard time understanding how a person can test drive a car and not notice the visibility issues if they are so extreme, especially in a car like the Camaro that we hear so much about.. It's one of the things I focused on during my drives in a 2016.

Have a good night!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #135
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
I can't understand how anyone could buy a piece of $hit from ford.
But, I can fully understand why a mustang owner can't understand the concepts that we Camaro owners are talking about in this thread. Maybe come back when you finally own the car we're talking about so you might have something constructive to offer.
I guess I wanted to be able to see out of my car.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #136
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Maybe I'm weird but I don't think visibility is all THAT bad. Sure, my Vette was better to see out of but once you get those mirrors juuuuuuuust right, it's not bad. Some people complain about not being able to see right in front of the car, but most sportier cars with long hoods and low seating positions tend to do that

.....guess it's all in what you're used to
Old 04-13-2016, 01:41 AM   #137
meb91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
With all due respect (sincerely), that's just not true.
I ALWAYS correctly align ALL of my mirrors.
When I change lanes, I ALWAYS check my side mirrors and then physically TURN and LOOK over my shoulder when changing lanes. I've driven for a living, I ride sportbikes, and I assume everyone is intentionally trying to kill me on the road.
Even with all that, I've had 3 times already in the last month where somehow someone get's lost in my blind spot.
I've been driving for 3 decades and this is the first time this has happened to me. Frankly, it's scares the $hit out of me.

It's not what's behind that's the biggest problem.
It's the damn passenger C-pillar blind area.

Another smaller concern is that I can't see curbs on my passenger side in parking lots because the damn belt lines are too f-ing high.

These are all things that I didn't notice on a test drive. I had to own the car before I discovered them.
I don't understand how that's happening for you - the way I have mine set up, I can always see a car in either the side windows, side mirror, or rear view mirror. When a car is behind the C pillar, I can always see it in my mirror. If this weren't the case, I surely would've crashed by now (as would everyone else on this forum)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #138
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
I don't own a Gen 6 Camaro yet but have about 50 miles of driving them with all the test drives. With the mirrors setup to my liking I can see everything I need except sitting in front at a stop light sometimes.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #139
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
This is a mans car if you can't back it up you sir are a women go buy a smart car.

Tell that this this women or any of the other women that "man" handle 10,000hp to over 300mph in under 4 seconds. Very few men would ever have the balls to even try it.
The car has an obvious visibly issues. It keeps coming up across all media forms. It must be pretty bad because the gen5 car isn't great for that either, but I don't remember folks complaining about it as much. Just because it suits you doesn't mean it should for everyone. That's all many of these guys are saying.

Last edited by motorhead; 10-02-2016 at 11:53 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #140
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
With all due respect (sincerely), that's just not true.
I ALWAYS correctly align ALL of my mirrors.
When I change lanes, I ALWAYS check my side mirrors and then physically TURN and LOOK over my shoulder when changing lanes. I've driven for a living, I ride sportbikes, and I assume everyone is intentionally trying to kill me on the road.
Even with all that, I've had 3 times already in the last month where somehow someone get's lost in my blind spot.
I've been driving for 3 decades and this is the first time this has happened to me. Frankly, it's scares the $hit out of me.
Don't know what to tell you, then. I have no blind spots. None. Zero. Zilch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
You know the first question I get when I show people my Camaro? Seriously every person ask how I can see out of it. Every. Single. One. Know how many asked that about my GTO? None. See a perception problem there? You give people the idea and perception that it's hard to see out of then it's hard to drive then it's not going in their drive way.
The first question I usually get is what engine is in it. The first time I've ever heard anyone mention the windows was one fool Mustang driver who wanted to goad me into a street race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
You are absolutely fooling yourself if you think none of the extra Mustang sales are not coming from people who think it's a better all around car and it is. Part of that is the fact it doesn't have that stigma that it's hard to see out of.
I don't make a habit out of fooling myself. But I see no data or even convincing rationale to support your claim. The last generation had the same stigma, but it outsold the Mustang...could you explain that phenomenon?

Look...I very rarely say this, but there's just a couple people in here who seem to have a violently serious problem with this, and I appreciate that you feel that way so: Consider buying something else. It's one of the beneficial parts of having dozens of choices in the auto market, seriously...