Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
I was wondering because I have a manual.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #16
keech

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Things go boom. When my 79 Z28 was new the TH400 auto trans lost all gears but first and reverse. I had to drive it 30 miles home on side roads in first gear (went about 25-35 mph the whole way). This was with less than 500 miles on it. In those 500 miles I never abused it or beat on it. I just drew the statistical short straw.
Agreed, that was when it was new. TH400's have proven to be hardy. Can you compare the two?
keech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #17
keech

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
I was wondering because I have a manual.
This is an auto. Staying active on the topic as I think it is a issue with a bad run of parts or design issue.
keech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #18
DsCamaro1

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS RS L99
Why are you guy's paying for GM problems. This should be covered under the Manufacturer warranty. If GM built these cars and they can't handle the wear and tear of the consumer then they are fully responsible for the problems that can occur due to manufacturer faults. Do not pay for this crap. Make them pay for it
Call your lawyer and file a dispute.
DsCamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #19
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
It is not gm's problem if it happens outside of their warranty. Just because the car isnt abused does not automatically mean that nothing in the powertrain will ever fail. And just because something breaks on your car that has also broke on some other cars, doesnt mean it should be covered. Every car has its "common" problems, doesnt mean they should be warrantied. The complexity inside an automatic transmission is amazing to someone who has never opened one up. Unfortunately its expensive if it breaks. Imo i would go to the dealership, see if they can contact higher ups for any assistance. Whether they help or not, i would get a trans replacement from them so you now have a good warranty on it
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by keech View Post
This is an auto. Staying active on the topic as I think it is a issue with a bad run of parts or design issue.
Sorry but I don't think I've seen a lot of talk here on automatic transmission
failures on the 5th en Camaro. I can't think of any off hand in 7 years. On the
std trans., now that's a different story. Seems like there's always complaints of
trans, linkage, clutch problems. Just saying the OP's problem is not common imo.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #21
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by keech View Post
With you having the same exact issue it sounds like a design flaw to me. Chevy is offering a rebuilt unit with a 3 Yr. 100K warranty. My concern is it will still be a sealed unit, it fathoms me that I or the service techs don't have the ability to check critical trans. fluid levels. I also understand things break / wear out like fan motors, brakes, shocks, exhaust, MAF, etc. But for a 2010 Camaro that is carefully driven during all months I cannot comprehend. I think my families expectation was a higher of level of core performance from the motor, rear-end & transmission.
+1.

Mfr's and dealerships want sealed unit repair - lowers the amount (and cost) of tech training needed, limits the number of special tools needed, reduces the cost of repairing units when you get them lined up at the repair depot. Makes dealerships more like McDonald's - perfect recipe for increasing profits.

Heck, they'll just say "yup, it's failed - only choice is to install a new one" that's what it's coming to. Either that or "we'll sell you a new car" - even better, 'cause then "sales are up" and the salesperson, dealership, and GM are all happy.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Not really, my father has a ford van for work, he had trans problems and went to the dealer. They said we can rebuild it if you want, or you can replace it. If they rebuild it its only covered 12months12k miles, but the replacement was 3 years unlimited miles. He opted to replace
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
+1.

Mfr's and dealerships want sealed unit repair - lowers the amount (and cost) of tech training needed, limits the number of special tools needed, reduces the cost of repairing units when you get them lined up at the repair depot. Makes dealerships more like McDonald's - perfect recipe for increasing profits.

Heck, they'll just say "yup, it's failed - only choice is to install a new one" that's what it's coming to. Either that or "we'll sell you a new car" - even better, 'cause then "sales are up" and the salesperson, dealership, and GM are all happy.
Absolutely not true. I am a Tech for GM. Under warranty I am required by GM to do a cost comparison. That means I remove the transmission, disassemble it, find the components that need replacement. Add up all the parts and labor and compare it to the cost of a new transmission. The cheapest repair is the option they take unless there are extenuating circumstances. On customer pay transmissions you will find that technicians are more likely to suggest a replacement because of warranty. If I rebuild a transmission, ONLY the components I replaced are covered for 12 months or 12k miles, meaning if another component fails you are paying again. It gets very costly this way. If I replace the transmission you get a 3 year 100 mile warranty. Having said that I would prefer if GM did it like Nissan and just replace a damaged transmission with a sealed unit. It is far less headache for me and I can get onto the next job instead of letting the disabled vehicle sit on my lift for a week while I wait on parts, all while only making on average 10 hours for the rebuild.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Was reading this and my heart skipped until I read auto, especially since I'm around the same mileage as you. Thankfully I have the TR6060. Best of luck in getting her back on the road, I'd try to get her towed to a performance shop to have the work done, I definitely wouldn't trust a local mechanic for a full rebuild.
Sold: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower, Custom Camshaft, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, 680rw 93/750rw E85, Tuned by CSP
Sold: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #25
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
So is what is the maintenance schedule on this transmission? I have a 2010 SS with the Auto transmission and I just reached 23K miles.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #26
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
I've never had a auto GM transmission that lasted over 80K. Just sayin.....
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #27
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Fellow forum members, I need some help trying to understand how the planetary gear in a sealed transmission in my 2010 Camaro RS that has been driven by my wife and babied just simply blows up with only 60K on the clock. Is it a case of turmoil happens or is there a long standing issue that I am just realizing to the cost of 3600 to repair. Please help.
Planetary gears very rarely fail on these autos, especially the newer ones with more than 4 pinons. Have you confirmed this is the case from the builder?

And if you're paying $3600 for that fix you have bigger problems than a broken transmission. It is a $50 part and maybe another $500 in labor. $3600 gets you a fully built unit, not a basic repair.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #28
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
So is what is the maintenance schedule on this transmission? I have a 2010 SS with the Auto transmission and I just reached 23K miles.
Depends

Read your owners manual, I think on my 2012 its something like 100K miles.
However mine spends a good bit of time at high temps so I had the fluid and filter changed at 44K miles (just over 4 years).
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote