Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Sounds like maybe you have past your Camaro days and are on to the wanderfull world of retirement, my grandpa loves his Chevy SS and judging by your dislikes of the Camaro a Chevy SS is exactly what your looking for.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb91 View Post
How tall are you, if I may ask? I was very comfortable in the driver's seat, I'm only 5'7" of course but this is the first I've heard of someone not being able to find a comfortable driving position. I've seen some guys on the forum 6'+ who said it was still comfortable for them. I'm not here to blast you, just wondering.
6' even, but I do have an odd build. I have short legs. Seated height I'm about 95%ile, which is why sunroofs in the past have been problematic for me. And I know that going in to an evaluation. I think 5' 9" is still average so I know more than half the people won't have a problem with the sunroof and can actually get the seat far enough forward.

I have been able to recline seats to make a car work in the past. But it's not ideal to be leaned back when driving, at least for me.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsoj23 View Post
See, if you adjust the seat properly... There's actually some decent room for smaller people... For sure not tall people... We need to put this whole back seat crap to sleep already... Lol
Like I said, there was less than the width of my hand left with my knee hitting the IP. And as I just mentioned above, for being 6' I have short legs and can get the seat further forward than most 6 footers.

Don't get me wrong, I get why people don't care. My worry isn't that GM didn't take care car of people that come to this website, that they did in a BIG way. My criticisms are for the folks that are just looking for a stylish sporty coupe to drive around. And anyone on here that doesn't think the new Honda Accord coupe falls in that category is kidding themselves. That too is a sporty coupe if you are in the market for an L4 or V6.

And for reference, I've had 4 adults in a Gen5 in a jam with me driving. That just wouldn't be possible in the Gen6 as you can see. That doesn't mean some of you can't make it work...............but many of you won't.

Here is the space left with my shins in the dash.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Number 3; 12-06-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Also I did observe that the issue with the seats not reclining is a real issue. We checked both seats. Could be different on a leather uplevel seat, but I doubt it. Oddly, all of the cars they had were 1LT and 1SS.

It reclines about half way to what you'd expect. So for example if you are on a trip and like to recline for a nap when you aren't driving? You won't be able to recline much more than on airplane. This is obviously true for a Corvette, but another reason why the Gen6 is getting ever closer to the Corvette.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Nice write up. I understand your dislikes. I think they are valid. I offer a couple points.

1.) Hoping to get out if a Camaro what you have in an SS is not possible. The SS is a sedan, and a damn awesome one at that. It really addresses most of your dislikes, and that exhaust note...

What I learned yesterday is it will be hard trade. I really wanted to be wowed enough by the Gen6 to make the tradeoffs, but the SS is really wonderful.

2.) You really should have driven a 2SS with MRC and A8. The blind spot detection and camera helps. I've had 4 5th gens. My current ZL1 is way worse in forward and side visibility. It's also harder to get in and out of the ZL1 compared to the 2SS that I test drove.

I'm apparently one of the few that still likes to see. LOL. Not sure why. My SS has all of the features, FCA, SBD and it will even self park. But these only enhance what I still feel the need to do myself which is see.

I do know I could "get used to it". I just don't think you should have to.

3.) Word on the back seat and trunk. Both are considerably smaller.

Yessssir, and for some/many that won't matter one single bit.

4.) 5th gen SS to 6th gen SS is a humongous upgrade. I've got to be honest, my ZL1 puts out about 630 at the flywheel and an A8 SS feels damn similar stop light to stop light. The car puts the power down better and feels way more nimble.

I think that if, as you suggested, I drove a 2SS (which is what I would likely get) I would be swayed enough to pull the trigger. We'll see in the spring.

All in all your points are valid and it really comes down to your own personal wants and perspective of the car. If you like your SS I can't see replacing it with a Camaro as a DD.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Thanks for the inputs on the backseat. I am concerned about this. I had a 2014 and the backseat leg room was tight for my young kids, but we managed on the occasional trips. I am concerned if it's significantly smaller. It's a Camaro and supposed to be cramped but not completely useless. I'm 5'10" with average leg length.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Like I said, there was less than the width of my hand left with my knee hitting the IP. And as I just mentioned above, for being 6' I have short legs and can get the seat further forward than most 6 footers.

Don't get me wrong, I get why people don't care. My worry isn't that GM didn't take care car of people that come to this website, that they did in a BIG way. My criticisms are for the folks that are just looking for a stylish sporty coupe to drive around. And anyone on here that doesn't think the new Honda Accord coupe falls in that category is kidding themselves. That too is a sporty coupe if you are in the market for an L4 or V6.

And for reference, I've had 4 adults in a Gen5 in a jam with me driving. That just wouldn't be possible in the Gen6 as you can see. That doesn't mean some of you can't make it work...............but many of you won't.

Here is the space left with my shins in the dash.....
Yup I see what you mean. I saw a 1lt yesterday and I can difinetely tell that mainly only children will fit comfortably back there. My gen5 has way more room for sure
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I'm 6' and I drove a 2SS with a sunroof. No issues with seating position or headroom.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #23
DanaM

Drives: 2010 Ram 1500 / 2006 Charger R/T
Send a message via Skype™ to DanaM
Nice write up and thank you it's kind of weird when you drive a muscle car and you don't have any good visibility and then you get in something and has good visibility when I'm in one of my trucks it's almost like too much visibility because I've been so used to no visibility in the charger.

I thought the 2016 Camaro came with the backup camera
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #24
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Thanks for the inputs on the backseat. I am concerned about this. I had a 2014 and the backseat leg room was tight for my young kids, but we managed on the occasional trips. I am concerned if it's significantly smaller. It's a Camaro and supposed to be cramped but not completely useless. I'm 5'10" with average leg length.
How old are your kids? My two sisters are 7/11
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I have sat in a bunch of them at the FNR tour and at a auto show recently. My kids are 8 and 11 and fit fine back there, my son loves it back there! I am not using mine as the family car to go on vacations with, I have a Cadillac SRX for that. It will work well for me for the local trips to get ice cream, the occassionally short overnight trip, etc. The backseat is not designed for anyone tall or like an adult especially for long trips. I am 6' have long legs and each time I sat in one with my kids, I adjusted the drivers seat to my liking and there were enough room for them to be comfortable. I actually sat in the back one time, it was hard to get in and out for me, but the seats go back far when you sit in the them, you kind of sink into them, they are deep.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsoj23 View Post
How old are your kids? My two sisters are 7/11
Girl 6, twin boys 4. I'm an older Dad, got started late.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
I'm just curious is I can fit a rear facing baby seat back there for once a month?
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #28
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
thanks for the post Number 3 .
it seems the one downfall for this car is the beltline. i think it could have been dropped an inch and still have a great looking car. a sports car should have good visibility, and it's getting more imperative these days with drivers doing more idiotic thing's.
as for the backseat, it's perplexing. Camaro6 is a couple inches longer than a first gen, (and we know even with increased crash-bumper space on the new ones the first gens had a lot of wasted space in the front end) yet the backseat is unusable. For me i'm not married and my friends are so i'm not carrying people around with me so it's not a problem. but still, i've always said i'd rather have another inch back there than in the trunk.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote