Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Not very good on snow thats been compacted to ice. Like at my apartment complex. Cheap ass landlord.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
Sand bags aren't needed. Winter drove my LS for three winters and the Camaro has great weight distribution the advantage would be minimal

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
gwoman

Drives: 2011 SS 'vert & 2015 SS coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
I mounted some scorpions on my RS 20s also. Looking forward to seeing how they do in the snow.

Warning: they have garbage dry weather traction, but thats not why you bought them right?!
Bought them for the snow, and they do suck on dry pavement!
gwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #18
gwoman

I think I'll leave the sand in the garage and test out the new tires on their own, only expecting a few inches in the morning and it's 55 degrees now, probably minimal snow on the roads!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
From everything I've heard, these 5th Gens are very good in the snow with proper tires. I doubt you will have any problems without the extra sand for weight.
I have the blizzaks on 19 inch wheels for winter and I survived the SNOWPOCALYPSE of 2015 with not one issue. The extra weight can't hurt, so if you want to, go for it.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #20
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
For gods sake whatever you do DON'T PUT SALT in the back of your car.
We had a 71 Cougar that was modded up a bit when I was about 12.
Stepdad put bags of salt in one winter.
Bags broke open.

Car no longer exists.. rusted out in a year.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoman View Post
Just put new Pirelli Scorpion snow tires on my 2015 2SS coupe, thinks of putting 2 60 lb tubes of sand in the trunk. Where would you place them? Would you do it? I live in Denver, been driving for nearly 40 years but this will be my first winter in a Camaro ( convertible Camaro is garaged for the winter) so my coupe is my winter vehicle. Appreciate your thoughts

I have the same tires on my 2012 1SS Coupe. My car has a manual transmission which complicates winter driving at times, but then again I can also select higher gears than normal when I have to.

Your car is quite heavy, just like mine. The rear suspension in a 5Gen is one of the reasons these cars are so damned overweight; you already have good pounds over the rear tires.

You can add sand for weight if you like, and it's not going to matter where you put it in the trunk: the suspension will be loaded regardless.

However, I would not (and will not) bother to do this in my own car. Last year we got 64.8" of snow....in just one month. According to the National Weather Service, Denver International Airport got 57.8" total snowfall in the entire 2014-2015 winter. What I do carry in my trunk is a good snow shovel with a shortened handle. I have used it...to get other drivers un-stuck.

I have not had any trouble cutting through snow and contacting pavement yet in the winters I have driven my 1SS in New England, whether driving down a highway that has 3" of hard-pack snow at 35 mph, or crawling along in stop and go traffic, uphill, during a major snowfall. No getting stuck even once.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #22
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
What is winter?
Do you troll posts about winter and say that?! LOL I swear I've seen that on at least 3. haha. You're missing out.... Empty snow covered parking lots = endless fishtailing fun
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Every time somebody asks "what's winter?", I think to myself "look at a calendar".
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #24
gwoman

ChrisBlairs, I also have standard transmissions in both my Camaros, the only way to run a muscle car IMO, but that's another discussion.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #25
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I have the same tires on my 2012 1SS Coupe. My car has a manual transmission which complicates winter driving at times, but then again I can also select higher gears than normal when I have to.

Your car is quite heavy, just like mine. The rear suspension in a 5Gen is one of the reasons these cars are so damned overweight; you already have good pounds over the rear tires.

You can add sand for weight if you like, and it's not going to matter where you put it in the trunk: the suspension will be loaded regardless.

However, I would not (and will not) bother to do this in my own car. Last year we got 64.8" of snow....in just one month. According to the National Weather Service, Denver International Airport got 57.8" total snowfall in the entire 2014-2015 winter. What I do carry in my trunk is a good snow shovel with a shortened handle. I have used it...to get other drivers un-stuck.

I have not had any trouble cutting through snow and contacting pavement yet in the winters I have driven my 1SS in New England, whether driving down a highway that has 3" of hard-pack snow at 35 mph, or crawling along in stop and go traffic, uphill, during a major snowfall. No getting stuck even once.
We both made it through last winter on good snow tires. Camaro is fine, but you need good tires.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Future rustbuckets...lol.

No one knows the rust patterns of the 5th gen yet. Going into the 6th season for some cars I'm sure we will find out soon.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #27
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Future rustbuckets...lol.

No one knows the rust patterns of the 5th gen yet. Going into the 6th season for some cars I'm sure we will find out soon.
Some day most of our cars will be rust buckets in junk yards. One man's garage queen is another man's second hand low mileage daily driver!

Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #28
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revrider550 View Post
Some day most of our cars will be rust buckets in junk yards. One man's garage queen is another man's second hand low mileage daily driver!

A "queen" would insinuate that she was being treated nice, pampered if you will. I look at the ground, I look at the sky, I look at the thermometer then decide which tool is best for the job. Plenty of choices around here, I like transportation.