Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
The mode you turned the car off is it the mode it starts in?

What I am asking is kind of a C7 Vette question which I believe would transfer to the Gen 6 Camaro.

If you turn the car off in say Track mode, when you start it back up is it in Track mode?
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Good question. I am curious too. I would think it would reset to default.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Good question. I am curious too. I would think it would reset to default.
I hope it doesnt, I want it to start in say Track Mode that way its louddddddddddd
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
it starts in the mode that you configure it to start up with. Al said you can pick which one to start up with and change it from there.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
DanaM

Drives: 2010 Ram 1500 / 2006 Charger R/T
Send a message via Skype™ to DanaM
Huh? Yeah, when I set track mode, they will be what I want it to start in. Why in the hell would it be different?

If i open my electronic cutouts, turn the car off and turn it back on they are still open. I do that all the time, this is a must have or else, back to shopping for cutouts for the 2016.

Too bad, I have already allocated that $500 bucks (cutouts plus install) to the GM offered lowering options.

Maybe the default is not to reset and go back to the mode it was in when before the car was turned off. FINGERS CROSSED!
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars and Tea View Post
I hope it doesnt, I want it to start in say Track Mode that way its louddddddddddd
I hope it doesn't too. Would be cool to start up in same mode when it was shut off

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
LbulletM

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z51
Like cwl011 said. You can configure it to start in whatever crazy combination of mode and exhaust your little heart can dream up.
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
On the C7 it stays in Sport during on/off but if left in Track it reverts to Touring when started back up.

I've asked about having it changed via tuning and it cannot be as of yet.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Al said in the video that was recently posted from the CamaroFest, that you can custom configure each mode. So even if it always starts up in Touring mode, you can configure Touring mode to be anything you want, including having the exhaust wide open.

I love the fact that it is customizable.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
On the C7 it stays in Sport during on/off but if left in Track it reverts to Touring when started back up.

I've asked about having it changed via tuning and it cannot be as of yet.
That may be due to emission and fuel economy certification cycle requirements. I'm sure GM would want it to stay in whatever mode the customer selects.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #11
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That may be due to emission and fuel economy certification cycle requirements. I'm sure GM would want it to stay in whatever mode the customer selects.
That is entirely possible - but there might also be a liability issue at play here as well. Consider this scenario: the car's in track mode; you forget about this as you toss the keys to your inexperienced teenage nephew so he can do a grocery run, and he oversteers your new SS into a lamppost because the electronic nannies are basically on vacation in this mode - an accident that would have never happened had the car been in the default touring mode. Is GM liable?
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Al said in the video that was recently posted from the CamaroFest, that you can custom configure each mode. So even if it always starts up in Touring mode, you can configure Touring mode to be anything you want, including having the exhaust wide open.

I love the fact that it is customizable.
That is an interesting comment. Part of the reason for the 2 stage exhaust I thought was passing Federal noise pass by regulations. So although you can pull the fuse yourself and even change the exhaust to be loud(er), GM has to pass the regulation out of the box as sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
GM has had enough cars wrecked over the years with employees turning off the nannies on high performance cars. 3 C6 Z06s as I recall when I worked on the program. So it may stay in whatever mode you want, but I would suspect the startup mode is full nannies on. After all, I believe Electronic Stability Control is now mandated by FMVSS 126 so simply having the car start up and be non-compliant doesn't work for my understanding. Yes, the customer can turn it off, but having the car start up and be non compliant seems against the standards intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
That is entirely possible - but there might also be a liability issue at play here as well. Consider this scenario: the car's in track mode; you forget about this as you toss the keys to your inexperienced teenage nephew so he can do a grocery run, and he oversteers your new SS into a lamppost because the electronic nannies are basically on vacation in this mode - an accident that would have never happened had the car been in the default touring mode. Is GM liable?
This
Old 08-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Here is language from FMVSS 126:

In addition, the rule requires manufacturers to install an ESC malfunction
telltale and allows manufacturers to provide an optional ESC Off switch (and associated telltale)
to temporarily disable the ESC system. Specific symbols and/or text are required to be used for
the malfunction telltale and ESC Off switch.

and later in the regulation....

E. ESC Off Switch, Telltale and Symbol
The rule permits (but does not require) vehicle manufacturers to install a driverselectable
switch
to temporarily disable or limit the ESC functions. This would allow drivers to disengage ESC or
limit the ESC intervention capability in certain circumstances when the full ESC intervention
might not be appropriate. Examples include circumstances such as when a vehicle is stuck in
sand/gravel or when the vehicle is being operated within the controlled confines of a racetrack
for maximum performance.
If vehicles manufacturers choose this option, the rule requires that the ESC system return to a
fully functional
default mode that satisfies the requirements of the standard at the initiation of
each new ignition cycle.
In addition, vehicle manufacturers are required to provide a yellow
“ESC OFF” telltale identified by either the text “ESC Off” or the following symbol:

So someone is hearing what they want or Al doesn't know what he talking about.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
JClay

Drives: Unknown
In the C7 what ever mode you left in it in, it will stay in that mode after you turn the off engine and restart the engine.

If it didn't you would have to continue to switch the driver's mode to active the performance exhaust.
JClay is offline   Reply With Quote