Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
climb-101

Drives: 2010 2ss
2015 winter project - wrecked 2010 2ss/rs

i picked up a 2010 2ss/rs the other day with 20k miles on it before it was wrecked. I figured it would be a good starting point to make a drag/street car out of. The price was cheap enough, less than 5k so im not afraid to cut it up a little to make a decent drag car.

this isnt my first venture into this type of project or my first street/drag car. I had a '70 chevelle that ran 10.30's and was a daily driver for a year or so, also built a '69 nova full tube chassis car but sold them both a few years ago to remodel the house. This will be my first venture into the new cars and newer style motors.

as far as the car goes, the kid was drunk and his a guard rail, The dealership he bought the car from got it back, pulled the motor/trans and and let the rest sit. I plan on swapping the rear independent setup out for a straight axle, (prob a 9"). cage for 8.50 NHRA, some lightening up the car, put the ZL1 or the SS front back on the, A new engine cradle that moves the motor back/down, and muves the suspension in a little, new upper strut mounts up front. once all that is done the motor stuff will get under way starting with a 6 liter and doing a twins along with a TH-400 trans.

all that being said, im going to need a few stock parts to get the front end back to a point where it will role and take it to the frame shop to get thing straight again. here is what im looking for to start with to get things mocked up and get everything back to stock. let me know if you got some stuff laying around you want to get rid of

engine cradle
drivers fender
drivers door
drivers suspension, knuckle, hub, both lower arms, strut
drivers HID headlight,
hood
along with whatever else from the front that i missed.

also looking for a steering wheel air bag cover and possable a new dash, not sure how the passenger side air bag deploys and what it messes up.
Attached Images

Last edited by climb-101; 08-07-2015 at 12:51 AM.
climb-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
gafool

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM
looks a a great ball of clay to mold into a monster!
gafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 AM   #3
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Agree, pretty cool almost starting from scratch. For sure patience will be part of this build. Good luck finding parts - if I see any I'll let you know.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
That looks like a great project. You'll have loads of fun building it. I am officially jealous.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
climb-101

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
Agree, pretty cool almost starting from scratch. For sure patience will be part of this build. Good luck finding parts - if I see any I'll let you know.

nice to some one from Montana on here. thanks for keeping an eye out, not to many parts up here in this neck of the woods. I think I found a 6 liter from a truck I might pick up to build. just have to find a 9" for the rear end so I can swap out the independent. I found all the stock suspention for the front drivers side except a strut for $100 (strut is another $100 for a new one). Then it will be off to the frame shop to get everything straightened back out. still got to find a drivers door/fender and bumper. once I get done with my other project which is a 1978 ford extended cab short box but all the running gear/frame and interior are from a 2000+ Chevy. it will have all the modern amenities but the old body stile I like.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #6
geparehe

Drives: Camaro
That looks like a great project. You'll have loads of fun building it.
geparehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Squishy

Drives: 2016 camaro 1SS
subbing to this thread, should be fun to watch this car come together again!

2016 BLK Camaro 1SS/LT1 M6:
NPP | black front/rear bowtie | Blacked out taillights

2011 IOM Camaro 1SS/RS LS3:
Stainless works 1 7/8" LT headers w/ Offroad pipes | TSP Cam 235/239 on a 112 | Powerbound 25% UD Pulley
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake | SW Retro Chambered Catback Exhaust | VMax Ported TB | Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Trunnion upgrade | LSA Oil Pump | BMR 1.25 Spings | R1 Concept d/s Rotors
Tuned by Lashway Motorsports - 501 Hp 430 ft-lb
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
climb-101

I got the car home the other day. got the windshield out and headliner as well as the airbags from the steering wheel and side windows. The new knuckle, wheel hub, and the 2 lower armed showed up yesterday so I can hopefully get to back to where it roles and run it up to the frame shop to get checked out. hopefully I will have an OEM ZL1 front, dash, and side skirts coming along with an engine cradle and new OEM RS lights and the drivers door. I also think I found a 9" rear to cut down and put in when I take the independent rear out of the car.

is any body looking for a rear end and drive line out of an SS, the car had 20k miles on it so everything should be in great shape still.