Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
frogfish

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels 2SS #125
New paint question. Help

My Camaro was keyed on both rear quarter panels so I took it to a highly recommended shop for repair. Needless to say I have a list of things that were not done correctly or damaged. My main concern and question is that I have mustard seed size dust? on both A posts with noticeable horizontal lines in paint. If that was not enough there is overspray on door, hood, and the trim pieces behind rear view mirrors. Today when the sun was shinning on it from the rear I could see ("buffing marks, micro marring"?) on both panels that were painted. Should I be seeing that in a fresh paint repair? They also damaged a couple of trim pieces putting the interior back and left a "glue" print on my front matt.

Any thoughts welcome, I am sick about it. If I knew it would look like it does repaired I would have just left it keyed.
frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Well obviously that's not normal results from a repair... What exactly are you asking?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
I can tell you first hand that buffing marks or "micro marring" are common when a panel is repaired and repainted. You should have seen how my repainted bumper looked. Their goal is to get the damage fixed, in and out. You'll definitely want to polish the panel(s) they fixed.

As for the overspray...it shouldn't happen but I'd try to clay bar that
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
frogfish

Thank you for your answers! The shop is rated as the top shop in the area and recommended to me by my insurance company. I am going to let the supervisor of adjusters look at the car repair first and then try and get it corrected. JTruck I am asking if it is normal to see an overwhelming amount of those wave like swirls in the new paint. They were not there prior to the paint repair. As far as me doing anything no way. They have a lifetime warranty policy and they can fix, repaint, replace any damaged parts or paint imperfections. If it needs polish they say they have a detail shop they can do it. I will let my insurance company take it up for me. They recommended the place and endorse them. I was just curious about the swirl marks on new paint. I read on the net that an inexperienced buffer could do it or using the wrong type of pad?

Thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfish View Post
Thank you for your answers! The shop is rated as the top shop in the area and recommended to me by my insurance company. I am going to let the supervisor of adjusters look at the car repair first and then try and get it corrected. JTruck I am asking if it is normal to see an overwhelming amount of those wave like swirls in the new paint. They were not there prior to the paint repair. As far as me doing anything no way. They have a lifetime warranty policy and they can fix, repaint, replace any damaged parts or paint imperfections. If it needs polish they say they have a detail shop they can do it. I will let my insurance company take it up for me. They recommended the place and endorse them. I was just curious about the swirl marks on new paint. I read on the net that an inexperienced buffer could do it or using the wrong type of pad?

Thank you
I wouldn't expect a new repaint to have imperfections. And if it did I would expect the shop to simply polish them out, they may be trying to skip a step or two to get the job done faster.

The swirls can be caused by a wide range of factors but will most likely come down to technique by the person.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Your making the right move getting your insurance company involved as
they recommended the shop. If you had selected the shop they would not
get involved with poor repairs. All your complaints are not normal, take it
back and have the shop fix everything to your satisfaction.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
frogfish

Thank you guys very much! I really appreciate this site and its members. Lots of experience out there. I'm sure I'll be in for a small struggle but hopefully My Camaro will get fixed. I took it to the detailer with only 3 miles on it when I purchased it to have Opti-coat applied. So I do try to take very good care of my car.