Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
For those interested in learning more about your 5th Gen Camaro Structure and the need or lack there of for a STB http://www.jpssonline.com/the-book-f...-2010-camaro-1

For a more general view on STBs, try this Rad and Track article http://www.caranddriver.com/features...g-it-tech-dept
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I know at one time awhile back a couple vendors were working on fabricating some adapter pieces. ..but they seemed to just disappear. I would like one just for show....but seems us '10/'11 owners are pretty much boned.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I know at one time awhile back a couple vendors were working on fabricating some adapter pieces. ..but they seemed to just disappear. I would like one just for show....but seems us '10/'11 owners are pretty much boned.
How about lighter and faster ;-)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisprz2010camaross View Post
I definitely felt the difference in the corners when this was the only handling upgrade I did.
as do most.

Strut braces, don't really offer the extreme changes a sway bar does, as that eliminates roll, hence the term, anti-roll bars...
however a strut brace, DOES create consistency by reducing chassis flex. this is where most feel the difference, in a corner, or on/off ramp that has sectioned bumps. its not a myth, its not a fad.

and no machine can detect the same action unless you are putting the car through the same motion, which I haven't seen a suspension/shock testing machine able to throw a car around with centrifugal force and add compression and rebound. this is the difference between machine and real world testing. its like when you dyno a car, vs data log on the streets. both are useful and helpful, but both have their places and results that are still applicable to the entire cars performance.

our cars are metal alloy ,and well engineered, but theres still an amount of flex to em. almost any car is engineered with an acceptable to the general public amount of flex.... hence the reason why most suspension is rubber as opposed to solid, or poly.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Just for looks- I'd like to get BMR's part#STB013. It is made for 2010-11's without factory mounting points. You make your own and BMR provides the hardware.

Only problem I've got is they say it won't fit my V6 (just the SS). I'm wondering if it would fit with the engine cover off (I don't run one anyway).

Anyone have some info on this?
Thanks!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
as do most.

Strut braces, don't really offer the extreme changes a sway bar does, as that eliminates roll, hence the term, anti-roll bars...
however a strut brace, DOES create consistency by reducing chassis flex. this is where most feel the difference, in a corner, or on/off ramp that has sectioned bumps. its not a myth, its not a fad.

and no machine can detect the same action unless you are putting the car through the same motion, which I haven't seen a suspension/shock testing machine able to throw a car around with centrifugal force and add compression and rebound. this is the difference between machine and real world testing. its like when you dyno a car, vs data log on the streets. both are useful and helpful, but both have their places and results that are still applicable to the entire cars performance.

our cars are metal alloy ,and well engineered, but theres still an amount of flex to em. almost any car is engineered with an acceptable to the general public amount of flex.... hence the reason why most suspension is rubber as opposed to solid, or poly.

I can understand both lanes of thought on the brace but far as bang for buck this might be one of the last things to do like putting the bow on the present....
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
JusticePete

What does the movement demonstrated in the video do when you are turning? Think before answering.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What does the movement demonstrated in the video do when you are turning? Think before answering.
when turning under regular driving, not as noticeable, unless roads are bad. here in baltimore, thats everywhere.

turning with a centrifugal force applied where the car is going around, and the force being applied kinetically is to push towards the outside, the outside tire when it hits imperfections in the road, will move upwards/inwards but move laterally inward. but its movement laterally with a force being applied, that's not just vertical, (semi vertical due to camber, shocks leaning in last I looked at the design of most cars.)

more effective way I can describe it, its like lateral drills in football, but the constant force being applied would be the O-lineman trying to pancake you, usually riding your hip/side, yet you still have to run your lane.

regardless, there is still movement. and as you've said many times, on MANY forums, not just this platform, reduction of movement, to allow suspension to work as it should, is key. that and consistent handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I can understand both lanes of thought on the brace but far as bang for buck this might be one of the last things to do like putting the bow on the present....
its usually pushed as a first, mainly because its an easy mod, and many people on here as with most forums are scared to do any work to their cars. kinda like getting your feet wet and the same line of thought as with power side, you usually start with intake headers exhaust, before you get into torque converters, internals, etc...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #23
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
This is the adapter kit your looking for. https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267 I put the strut tower brace put on my Camaro. I did not put it on to improve handling, I did it because I liked how it looked. I painted it and had my dealer install it and it looks great. I won't comment on how it improved the handling because I honestly can't say I felt any difference. But, I have got a lot of nice comments on how it looks.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #24
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks for the link think more for looks myself
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #25
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
This is the adapter kit your looking for. https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267 I put the strut tower brace put on my Camaro. I did not put it on to improve handling, I did it because I liked how it looked. I painted it and had my dealer install it and it looks great. I won't comment on how it improved the handling because I honestly can't say I felt any difference. But, I have got a lot of nice comments on how it looks.
Thank you! I think this is all the OP was asking for. I think the majority of us know it will not improve handling.....but the piece looks good and, once and awhile, it IS about the show and not the go.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote