Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #57
2010RSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS LLT M6
Ok, I am done. This is pointless. SMH
2010RSIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #58
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SSFever View Post
I took mine out last night in 30 degrees. I drove normal and it was uneventful. I started giving it lots of gas and the traction control was working overtime yet totally uneventful straight down the road. I tried hitting the brakes real hard to attempt to get the ABS to operate...No luck there, it just stopped on a dime.

So then I turned the nannies off and with cold pavement it walks sideways in 3rd gear if you make it....what fun but just makes it obvious why there is no auto racing in the winter time, because cold tires don't stick to cold pavement well, and I don't care who makes them.

If you bought the car and can't control the wheelspin with your right foot, depend on nannies and blame tires for your loss of control then you need more seat time in something a little slower before you move up to a moderately fast car.

And that's all an SS Camaro is, a moderately fast car that's traction limited. Nothing new, quick cars have been slipping and sliding on cold pavement for years. The only new thing is now they are available to the masses for cheap so a lot of people think they have some silly fast race car or something that no one can drive properly without nannies and all season tires.

So be scared all you want, that's your problem. I've owned a 5th generation Camaro since 2009 and have never lost control of it.

+1 ... perfectly said.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #59
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
OP, you did good! Responses ran the gamut from "OMG you did???" to "You coulda kilt someone!!" I did get caught with the P-zero's in a freak late storm that left me driving through six inches of slushy wet snow for 25 miles. Did great, passed people who weren't doing nearly as great, never lost traction, we survived with NO damage, if you can believe it.
I also have to say ditto to Nitto invo. Way happier with them on my Camaro.
I know, right?
One thing I have discovered over the years of frequenting car forums.....there are key words or phrases that will always set someone off. For example: Dino oil.....oil filters......budget headers and summer tires.
At least it makes an otherwise boring day exciting.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #60
bucolic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintc
So question for anyone that's raced these cars in the 1/4 mile.

You know what these cars do on warm tires in warm temps at the track.

What would happen with the P-Zeros on the 1/4 mile in 23 degree weather? What would you estimate the time and speed would be compared with a summer run? How safe would you feel giving it all it's got. Just curious on what an experienced driver thinks?

2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
bucolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #61
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I know, right?
One thing I have discovered over the years of frequenting car forums.....there are key words or phrases that will always set someone off. For example: Dino oil.....oil filters......budget headers and summer tires.
At least it makes an otherwise boring day exciting.
Don't forget "fuse pull" it's like adding a blower to your car overnight!

Unfortunately they pulled my fuse at the dealer before delivery so I never got to experience the massive increase in power.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #62
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcat3 View Post
Sure hope the OP has gotten the key fob recall done or he is really living on the edge with his daring deeds.
Oh no........I.....I.......I. .......I didnt know.....
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucolic View Post
So question for anyone that's raced these cars in the 1/4 mile.

You know what these cars do on warm tires in warm temps at the track.

What would happen with the P-Zeros on the 1/4 mile in 23 degree weather? What would you estimate the time and speed would be compared with a summer run? How safe would you feel giving it all it's got. Just curious on what an experienced driver thinks?

They don't drag race in the winter time because tires won't hook on cold pavement, too dangerous. You can run slicks on your car it still won't perform anywhere near what it will with optimum track conditions.

I'm sure that's the answer you are looking for, not sure what point it proves though we are talking about street driving in the winter on high performance radials, not drag racing times.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #64
bucolic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SSFever View Post
They don't drag race in the winter time because tires won't hook on cold pavement, too dangerous. You can run slicks on your car it still won't perform anywhere near what it will with optimum track conditions.

I'm sure that's the answer you are looking for, not sure what point it proves though we are talking about street driving in the winter on high performance radials, not drag racing times.
No just curious on what would happen. I only have about 3200 miles on my car and have never even squealed the tires on it and on the summer I stomped on it pretty good after I was moving and never had the traction control kick in. When it was 23 degree's that day the whole a** end was sideways and the traction control kicked in and was working good. Honestly it scared my a bit. I bet on the track in those conditions you couldn't keep it under double the time of a normal run.

2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
bucolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #65
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If I remember correctly it was the old nylon corded tires that had the overnight flat a spot issues. It wasn't the hard rubber.
You are correct. Both the cord and the rubber. As you probably know, rubber compounding was not as advanced back then. Were fortunate to have now what we have.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote