Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I use Amsoil Severe gear 75w90 with the Amsoil friction modifier
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #30
balla48801

Drives: 2010 SS
Jannetty sent 2 bottles of this with there posi mod.

Ford-M-19546-A12
balla48801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #31
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You're over thinking it.

Use your favorite brand of synthetic gear lube. Check the bottle. If it says it contains LS additive, don't add any more. If it doesn't, add the GM LS additive.

Then go do a bunch of figure 8s in a parking lot. That will work the additive into the clutches. Doesn't matter what the clutches are made of, kevlar, sea shells, or chocolate chip cookies. If it is an LS diff with clutches, it needs an LS additive in the gear lube.

I've always had great luck with Royal Purple Max Gear. Nothing to add to the RP. Amsoil is another great brand.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
You're over thinking it.

Use your favorite brand of synthetic gear lube. Check the bottle. If it says it contains LS additive, don't add any more. If it doesn't, add the GM LS additive.

Then go do a bunch of figure 8s in a parking lot. That will work the additive into the clutches. Doesn't matter what the clutches are made of, kevlar, sea shells, or chocolate chip cookies. If it is an LS diff with clutches, it needs an LS additive in the gear lube.

I've always had great luck with Royal Purple Max Gear. Nothing to add to the RP. Amsoil is another great brand.
Yeah I admit I am over thinking it I just am treading lightly as the diff is continuing with issues @ 10,5xx miles and a little over 2 years. I shall drain and fill today and I'll post how it goes.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #33
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Another shout for the Royal Purple with LS additive in it. I changed mine at 1500 miles then at 15k miles and I have been running on this current change for about 15k miles and no issues. I like to change it at 15k mile intervals, but I will be installing my 3.91s here soon and it will get new oil then.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
That's a typical dealer service department for your right there..lol

I would have asked the service manager to look at the service manual for an LSD unit... they do stuff like this all the time not using the right parts..

not everyone is mechanically inclined nor do they have the time to do their own work so they take their car to a dealer to get the work done but don't really know what goes behind the scenes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Yeah they both said that there is no such additive and that they just throw fluid in the "pumpkin"....They said they havent stocked any such thing for a long while..I dont get it? when I was a tech for chrysler I had tons of this stuff laying around..

Is this the right stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-400...Delco+88900330
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #35
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
dont go back to that dealer. there idiots. you use 3oz of friction modifier. no matter what your manual says. GM changed it to 3oz. 1qt of 75w90
+2 on instructions AND find another dealer!

Serviced mine again (3rd time) at 99K. Mobil 1, 75 w 90, 3 oz. friction modifier from Auto Zone. No noise before the service, no noise after the service.

Keep your receipts and document the mileage and car info on the receipt, in case GM asks for something stupid, in the event you have another failure.

If your "dealer" didn't use FM when they repaired the diff. last time, it make take a lot of figure 8's, and maybe another changing of the fluid (and FM) to correct the noise. I've had to do that with Dana's in the past, that were refilled w/o FM.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #36
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
In 2014 Camaro Owners Manual -
Found part Numbers for BOTH the Axle Fluid
and the bottle of Friction Modifier, including quantity.

Page 11-13
Camaro SS:
"Rear Differential Fluid 75W-90 Limited Slip (GM Part No. 88900401 and
Limited Slip Additive 88900330, in Canada 89021678 and Limited Slip
Additive 00992694)."

Page 12-3
Rear Axle Fluid:
V8 Engine* (L99 or LS3) Capacity 1 quart.
*Add 3.3 oz. (98 mL) of friction modifier to the specified quantity of axle lubricant.

Ordered both above GM OEM via ebay, arrived in 2 days, with shipping - Cheaper than at Dealer. Best to pour the friction modifier in first to make sure there is room for the specified quantity.
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Best to pour the friction modifier in first to make sure there is room for the specified quantity.
Ron
yes
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #38
Denis

according to the AcDelco bottle

this shit was more expensive than the gear oil was haha.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #39
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
according to the AcDelco bottle

this shit was more expensive than the gear oil was haha.
Don't get caught up in the "whole bottle" thing shown on the sticker. You need the amount shown in the owners manual. Should be half a bottle of additive and 1 quart of gear oil. This same additive P/N is also used in many other vehicles that have a much higher fluid capacity than a late model Camaro. Our differential fluid capacity is so small we just do not need the whole bottle.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #40
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Don't get caught up in the "whole bottle" thing shown on the sticker. You need the amount shown in the owners manual. Should be half a bottle of additive and 1 quart of gear oil. This same additive P/N is also used in many other vehicles that have a much higher fluid capacity than a late model Camaro. Our differential fluid capacity is so small we just do not need the whole bottle.
good to know!