Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #43
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
It makes me laugh when I see a dyno run being done with the hood open . All you need is a big fan in front of the car to keep the rad cool .
with your vehicle under load for several minutes at a time, the engine temperature will rise high enough to add fuel to try and keep it cool.

On the street you may be WOT for 15 seconds.

There's so much more involved than just the engine coolant temperature.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #44
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Put your money here.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #45
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
On a lot of the other performance forums they joke about the use of a CAI. I have them on my vehicles, but in the truck world there were lots of independent test quoted that showed little to no gain unless your engine was heavily modded and the stock system became a restriction.

It's all what in what you want. If you're doing it to reduce track times, there are better places to spend your money. If want a few extra HP and don't have a lot of mechanical skill, CAI and headers are good places to start. (btw, headers will give you way more bang for your buck than a CAI)

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 12-07-2014 at 08:59 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #46
srgibson74

Drives: 2104 SS
Thanks for all the replys...looks like I am either going with Vararam or CAI...and the other note...sorry it seems like this posted made eyes roll...I am a PA and work in a very busy ER 60+ hrs a week and rarley find the time to search through hundreds of post so I do apologize for adding drama to your day
srgibson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #47
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgibson74 View Post
Thanks for all the replys...looks like I am either going with Vararam or CAI...and the other note...sorry it seems like this posted made eyes roll...I am a PA and work in a very busy ER 60+ hrs a week and rarley find the time to search through hundreds of post so I do apologize for adding drama to your day

No drama, and happy to help. Consider this, The time you took creating the thread and reading the posts, then replying....You could have easily found your information/answers in less time.

If I minded, personally I would not have posted. Good luck and enjoy!

AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #48
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
A quick look at the bolt on fast list tells you what works .http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bolt+fast+list
You see who go's fast, then you look at their mods and the brand of intake .That will tell you what works in real life .
I think your confusing the CAI. I have a cai on my car..its not a CAI. People are simply listing mods..not manufacturers.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #49
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Im good with New Era OTR systems. Same concepts with good power under actual load
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #50
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Like my Haltech. Got it for 300. Did it based on Teds test since tnere really was nothing else to go on any better but hearsay. Made as much power as cai and kept fuel trims close to stock as well. Doesnt lookas nice but saved $100 and painted the thing anyway. Later added the scoop and between the two noticed some better pickup getting up to and past freeway speeds, other then that didnt feel much as buttt o meeter isnt that good. Now when I added shorties and hi flow cats that combo does push the a/f and it gets irratic so tuned it to smoothen it out and the whole combo works great.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #51
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
When you find a Vararam that fits your year (2013+ application), please let me know.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #52
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #53
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I think your confusing the CAI. I have a cai on my car..its not a CAI. People are simply listing mods..not manufacturers.
With a little searching you can find out what brand of intake they are running . Most post their mods in their sig or garage .
Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #54
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
with your vehicle under load for several minutes at a time, the engine temperature will rise high enough to add fuel to try and keep it cool.

On the street you may be WOT for 15 seconds.

There's so much more involved than just the engine coolant temperature.
That may well be ,but if you were on a road corse ,you would be under load most of the time . To me cars should be tuned to the conditions it will be used on . With a big powerful fan it should create enough air force and cooling to simulate road conditions I would think. It is hot as hell here in Phoenix and a good tune should account for that . We cant ride around without a hood in the summer. Seams to me that open hood tuning would cheat IAT temps and raise dyno numbers . Also after a dyno tune it should be driven and data logged and fine tuned ,and that is with the hood closed. Real life conditions may not produce high dyno numbers ,but you will have a safe tune that runs good hot or cold all year long . If I am wrong ,and that is possible , please feel free to let me know how and why . Because im going to run my car hard as hell in the heat of the Phoenix summer with the AC on and would prefer to not burn a valve or trash a motor with an overly aggressive tune ,for the sake of jumbo dyno numbers done with an open hood ,and conditions my car will never see.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #55
RyansLS3

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
CAI

K&N
RyansLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #56
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
That may well be ,but if you were on a road corse ,you would be under load most of the time . To me cars should be tuned to the conditions it will be used on . With a big powerful fan it should create enough air force and cooling to simulate road conditions I would think. It is hot as hell here in Phoenix and a good tune should account for that . We cant ride around without a hood in the summer. Seams to me that open hood tuning would cheat IAT temps and raise dyno numbers . Also after a dyno tune it should be driven and data logged and fine tuned ,and that is with the hood closed. Real life conditions may not produce high dyno numbers ,but you will have a safe tune that runs good hot or cold all year long . If I am wrong ,and that is possible , please feel free to let me know how and why . Because im going to run my car hard as hell in the heat of the Phoenix summer with the AC on and would prefer to not burn a valve or trash a motor with an overly aggressive tune ,for the sake of jumbo dyno numbers done with an open hood ,and conditions my car will never see.

If its tuned correctly it wont matter if its on a road course, street or strip. You can make the tune less aggressive or more aggressive but there is no difference in the "type" of tune.

Hood open and fans running doesnt really cheat the tune, nor does it change the tune. The engine compensates for temps. The test was consistent and the variance of temps would be the same regardless of the hood being closed or open. For example if there was a ten degree difference with the hood closed and a 5 degree difference with the hood open. your still gathering data, and the conditions are equal for all products.

Granted I have some issues with the test also. Yet it still is so far one of the best sources of how these CAI's act. My own testing showed similar temps and fuel trims with my K&N, AIRAID, and my CAI inc. So even though the hood was open I had very similar results with my hood closed in the street.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote