Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Cruising RPM's?

It's my first V8 so please forgive my ignorance. I'm just wondering what acceptable cruising rpm's. I feel like the car is fine running at just over 1000 rpm's. I've just never had a car that can run so smoothly at such low rpms. I don't think it's ever lugging (I think I know what lugging is from everytime my car does the 1-4 forced shift!). Just want to make sure I'm not damaging the engine. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Sounds fine to me... Seems I run the same at times... Like any other engine you can hear it if there are issues with low rpm under load.

Enjoy the car!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
6th gear on highway, ~ 70mph I RPM 1200 LOL

Its fine.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
It's my first V8 so please forgive my ignorance. I'm just wondering what acceptable cruising rpm's. I feel like the car is fine running at just over 1000 rpm's. I've just never had a car that can run so smoothly at such low rpms. I don't think it's ever lugging (I think I know what lugging is from everytime my car does the 1-4 forced shift!). Just want to make sure I'm not damaging the engine. Your thoughts are appreciated.

each car will be a little different but I have no trouble cruising at 1,000 rpm either. And that's what cruise is- if I need to accelerate, I downshift, becasue that's what the manual transmission is for.

if your engine speed is keeping up with your gear choice vs speed demand just fine, you're not lugging. You'll know when you're lugging: you need to keep adding throttle but the engine is struggling to make rpms.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
That's what having a lot of torque feels like- You can maintain good speed and still be able to pull out of the hole at relatively low RPM. I love V8's for this reason.

When I drove a 6-speed SS, I found that the engine was happiest cruising between 1500-2000 for tame driving with good fuel economy without having to apply too much throttle in too high of a gear, on mostly flat roads. 1800-2200 seemed best for rolling terrain. Downshifting to 4th or 3rd for a throttle-heavy pass at highway speeds was always a lot of fun though
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Most in town driving Ill sit around 2K, just to have that extra jump if necessary. On the highway Ill set the cruise to 80 or 85 and be pulling right at 2K rpms.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
What have you changed? My Camaro is ~1600 at 70MPH.
I would have to be at 55MPH to turn only 1200 RPMs in 6th.
It's around 1200, on light throttle in 6th going 70. No changes, car is stock. I can verify tomorrow, but on run to grocery store (beer run!) it was right around there.

I hate 6th BTW. 5th is sort of a wast gear too. To pass or get moving I grab 4th.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
It's around 1200, on light throttle in 6th going 70. No changes, car is stock. I can verify tomorrow, but on run to grocery store (beer run!) it was right around there.

I hate 6th BTW. 5th is sort of a wast gear too. To pass or get moving I grab 4th.
This link has a chart for the stock rear gear and the 3.91:1 gear:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357518

6th is for economical constant speed highway cruising. 5th is a gear I use many times on highways that have a 40 or 45 mph limit.

The chart will possibly help to show where and why 6th and 5th are useful, with either rear gear ratio. The transmission gear ratio of 5th and 6th are interesting. 4th is an easy gear selection from 6th