Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #57
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Good stuff! Thank you for the additional info. Lot of food for thought.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #58
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Interesting thread on the crash bars, thank you for linking that. Is there a solution to avoid Dremeling that rear bumper cover in a succeeding iteration? Any thought to perhaps welding in a threaded bung to both bars where you could attach a RennLine folding tow hook? Kill two birds with one stone. It'll bump the price of course but offer an elegant solution to the tow hook problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
I like the way your thinking on this one. The crash bars alone wouldn't make me jump, but if it solves the towing issue then I'm in...

If you guys are serious about this, PM me, and I will make it happen. I could place a threaded bung right behind the square cap on the lower grill.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #59
Moreno1

Have to give props ti Justin for getting the front tow hook check off the to do list.......

Name:  026.jpg
Views: 4656
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  0072_zps9caa5b87.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  008_zpsf3dfba72.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  87.6 KB

Might be able to get my buddy Kevin to do to do a run off bars for the community. If you are interested PM one of us. If we get a few guys on board, I can get him to do us another batch.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #60
Moreno1

For those of you who are interested in losing some weight. Justin is over at Xtreme in Wisconsin were they are designing and making a moly tubular rear cradle to match the front one.

Going from this

To this

The goal is to drop another 50 lbs. total of 97 between front and rear. Keep tuned to our build thread as Justin is sending pictures daily.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #61
on3wego

Drives: 2014 zl1 triple black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
For those of you who are interested in losing some weight. Justin is over at Xtreme in Wisconsin were they are designing and making a moly tubular rear cradle to match the front one.

Going from this

To this

The goal is to drop another 50 lbs. total of 97 between front and rear. Keep tuned to our build thread as Justin is sending pictures daily.

I bet this is going be super $$$$. The front was over like 3k iv heard. No telling how much the rear will be. Nice to save over 100 lbs. But still not worth the money. Bmr needs come out with k member and such or someone does besides extreme. Just bc there the only people making these for now doesn't mean should jack price up
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #62
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3wego View Post
I bet this is going be super $$$$. The front was over like 3k iv heard. No telling how much the rear will be. Nice to save over 100 lbs. But still not worth the money. Bmr needs come out with k member and such or someone does besides extreme. Just bc there the only people making these for now doesn't mean should jack price up
The first few were $3500. after those are made, price is going up. Like ZL575 said, Craig is a fabricator, and the pricing is all based on time and material.

I am here in WI right now, working alongside Craig from extreme on getting this cradle done. I know and am experiencing first hand the amount of work that goes into building something like this. Let me put it this way.... This rear cradle can be much more expensive, and still be a fair deal.

Also, the front is $1900.

Last edited by Moreno1; 06-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #63
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Have to give props ti Justin for getting the front tow hook check off the to do list...

Might be able to get my buddy Kevin to do to do a run off bars for the community. If you are interested PM one of us. If we get a few guys on board, I can get him to do us another batch.
Sending PM now; sign me up!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #64
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
"only" $4,500...

Ti Exhaust System available here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363486

And here: http://gthaus.com/ver3_ghprice.php?s...3#.U5ukjsJOU5s
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold

Last edited by 14pilot; 06-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #65
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post

Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #66
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Duck and cover. I believe the $4,500 is only for the axle back and mufflers. To make it a full Ti catback, just add another $1K and you're all set.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #67
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Lordy.

Quote:
1. Weight - Both Meisterschaft Touring and GT models are significantly lighter than the OEM unit to reduce
unsprung weight. With the Meisterschat Ti Titanium units, you will be able to shed up to 75% of the weight from
the OEM unit.
Mufflers reduce unsprung weight? Reallly?

No dyno #, no weight #, "pretty" quad tips. Yeah.

I also like the 'backpressure can wreck your plug wires!' stuff.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #68
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Elephant in the room??

At what point do you stop spending too much money to win a $50 trophy?

Cost per pound of weight saving is important. As is the location of the weight savings; as has been mentioned in previous posts.

And, as the car is designed, and materials specified as a system, to work in harmony, doesn't throwing a lot of new parts into the system possibly have some important downsides?

Some weight savings seem obviously desirable, but there is usually a downside like additional cost to consider. But there are also more important things to consider - quality, reliability, compatibility, and especially safety. Lots of people have been involved in arriving at the best compromise for all the above to build the best stock car you've already bought. Might be wise to proceed very carefully in second guessing them.

Especially in the area of safety on the track. Stay thirsty, but never compromise safety for performance unless you're willing to write a check for your life.....

That said, How much were those helium party balloons, again?
Jst sayin'
Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #69
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3wego View Post
Hey on3wego, I've been meaning to reply back but just haven't had the time. I still don't, LOL, but I thought it would be worth it from an informational stand point. I hear you.... we all want parts to be as economical as possible!

We personally have been waiting for someone to make a rear cradle for a long time. We asked Craig at Xtreme if he would make one and he just didn't have the time.

We met with Alan (Owner of BMR) two years ago at PRI in Orlando, FL and asked if he had plans on bringing one out. He said they did and asked we follow up with their sales guy in six months to get an update on the progress. We did, and they were no closer to starting. We were asked again to follow up six months later. We did and got the same answer. So we realized BMR making one was a pipe dream!!!

We went back to Craig and asked what would it take for him to make one and he said that if he had four orders at $3,500 a piece, he would justify taking his time to do the R&D to make it happen.

So we created a GB thread and were able to drum up four orders.

Here is an excerpt from the GB thread:

"In addition to any weight loss benefits, each cradle will include these additional benefits:

· ZL1 style lower control arm.
· Tubular Upper control arms. (Nobody is currently making these)
· Tubular trailing arm
· Tubular tie rod arm
· Solid mounted like-factory front sub (eliminates rear solid bushing
· Different mounting option for diff (Allows raising the diff and straightening the axles)
· Tubular cradle reducing at least 40 plus lbs

In addition to the cradle and all the performance benefit, there's approximately $2,160 worth of components that will come with each package, making it a great value!"

Tom from Hendrix contacted us and explained that moving the diff up will reduce the upward angle of the axles (especially on lowered cars, as the angle of the axles get moved up further creating extra stress on them) and make for better transference of power to the ground. This was the secret of the two top world-record holder's 60 feet launches. For the track guy, it means a quicker response coming out of the turn.

So when you look at the whole package, the cradle was only $1,400, a huge value!

Unfortunately, Craig has been so busy that it's taken longer to get ours (the first one) done. We offered to have Justin fly out there and do most of the dirty work. We paid for a $700 airline ticket just for the privilege. The plan was for him to be out there two weeks. It now looks like two weeks wont be enough time and we need to reschedule his flight further out (at least three weeks). BTW, we are paying the same thing as everybody else has, so we are doing all of this on our dime just to make it happen.

It's been so much work that Craig is thinking of not doing anymore after these!

So the bottom line is that there's a reason nobody has done them or they would have already. Hopefully Craig can figure out a way to make them for as little as $3,500, especially considering how anal he is about any gaps and tolerances. $3,500 will be a lot cheaper than what we have invested and we are not complaining!

Last edited by Moreno1; 06-14-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #70
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
The work that will go into that cradle, he won't make any on just 3. The jig alone will likely eat 20 hours to build right.
I'm going to do one sometime, but only for me. Lots of weight to be saved.
I do agree with the law of dismissing returns. It's so much easier and cheaper to make more power these days.
That said, track weight of 3500lbs and 450whp would be amazing.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in

Closed Thread