The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Future buyer with questions.

I am seriously looking at getting the 2015 C7 vette so im starting to do as much HW as I can. Now I know I can search a bunch but it is much easier to just ask the questions so I get answers that directly answer my questions and not someone else's so please forgive me if some have been asked before.
First im living in a apartment complex that has about 7 speed bumps that I must go over to get home. Iv gone out and attempted to measure them but that is easier said than done. So how does the C7 handle these? Also is there a difference in the z51 and the non packaged car. if I could get factory ground clearance numbers id love that. I cant seem to find those.

Second it looks like there are plastic cheep parts under the front splitter that protect it from scrapes. is this correct? If so I know my Ferrari TR has this same type of part and are easily and relatively cheep to replace. Being as this is a sports car I will have to deal with scraping the bottom but its much nicer to deal with this knowing I can easily replace the parts.

Third I live in southern Indiana and we get very cold weather and as I know being I also own a Camaro SS we shouldn't drive with summer only tires during sub freezing temps. SO my question is are the tires easily to replace or is there anything funky I need to know about putting all weather tires on a Z51.

Finally please tell me anything you wish you knew prior to buying so that I can make the best decision. This will be my DD except during dangerous conditions that's what a 4wheel jeep is for.

Appreciate all the help.
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Go for the C7 and get the Z51 with magnetic ride. Magnetic Ride was on my ZL1 and whether I was on the highway or carving corners on back country roads, it road like a Cadillac.

Ride height on the C7 is actually higher than my ZL1 was so speed bumps shouldn't be a problem.

All weather tires are readily available and don't cost an arm and a leg. I recommend the Michelin Pilot A/S3's.

They've got the best ratings and customer reviews on the market.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I have A Z51 coupe for a daily driver since early October. I'm just outside St. Louis, MO and see similar winter conditions. With the Michelin A/S 3 all season tires I had virtually no trouble getting around. Of course, I just stayed home during the worst snow storm, like any intelligent person should. I've also had no trouble on speed bumps -just go easy over them. A Z06 would have more trouble by far due to its big front splitter. The little rubber "spoilers" on the Stingray are flexible air deflectors to divert air around the front tires. They are very cheap & easy to replace and are almost a wear item like brake pads.

This car has been spectacular for my needs as a daily driver!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thank you both for the info. Im glad to hear everything that was said. The ground clearance wasn't a make or break being that I can switch apartments if I want or just buy a house eventually (if I decide to stay here) but knowing I wont have to makes it much much nicer. This car sure is hard to find a real justification not to buy ) thankfully the fiancé agrees )
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
All weather run flats are not avail yet, if that matters
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
This review talks about the ride differences between base and Z51:

starts about 4 min. mark.
I chose a base coupe because I'm not a racer and would like a smoother ride.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote