Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Lemon Law---anyone have experience with it?

For those of you who have followed my story, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure my car qualifies for the lemon law due to the amount of failed repairs thus far. Anyone ever been in a situation where they had to take advantage of this law? Did you need legal representation? What was the outcome? Thanks in advance
shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
SSmokinSS
Get Some

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
I had my 2000 S-10 bought back under the lemon law. It had to be in the shop for the same problem at least 3 times in one year, and be in the shop for more than 30 days total to qualify, I went through a transmission at 90 miles, 250 miles, and 3000 miles. It was a computer and grounding issue.
I had a lawyer, and his goal was to make me "whole", like the purchase never happened.

I was upside down on my trade by about $3000, and my trade in was long gone by the time I filed for the buy-back.
I ended up settling with GM paying one third, the dealer one third, and I paid the other third. Cost around $1200 for me to get out with lawyer fees.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
This stuff varies from state to state. Here is the information you need from your state: http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...rgia-lemon-law . Has your vehicle been in the shop for more than three times for the same nonconformity? Has your vehicle been out of service for more than thirty days for the same nonconformity?

Nonconformity has been defined by Georgia for you:
"(17) "Nonconformity" means a defect, a serious safety defect, or a condition, any of which substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle to the consumer or renders the new motor vehicle nonconforming to a warranty. A nonconformity does not include a defect, a serious safety defect, or a condition that is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modification or alteration of the new motor vehicle."

Is your car less than two years old, and does it have less than 24,000 miles? Georgia is actually very consumer friendly in this type of situation. In most cases, you should not need to retain an attorney.

If you succeed, your remedy is also defined under Georgia state law as:

Purchase Price * (1 - (number of miles you had driven the first time the problem appears/120,000))
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
shan1997

I'm going to do some more checking into the law then see what to do. I tried to call again beforehand to see if they would be willing to do something before seeking legal representation and Their response was to Call the dealership. Dealership called back and said I can A. Continue brining it in for repairs or B. trade my car in with the dealership but they explained I may take a loss if the dealership does not give me what my pay off amount it. How is that compensation for them being unable to repair a problem after 5 attempts?? I don't get it
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
May be time to try another dealer. They sound like clowns.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
Do Not Trust The Stealerships

As long as you have the proper documentation you should not have a problem. Take a loss my butt. I had a vette that the serpentine belt kept on blowing off the engine. They couldn't figure it out. I told the Stealership I was going to file for the lemon law. They laughed at me. The paperwork is easy to fill out. You don't need a bloodsucking lawyer to go through this process. In NY 3 attempts need to be made to fix the car and if the problem still exist bam your in. I cant see it being much different whatever state You will go in front of an arbitrator who will be simpathetic to you if everything is in order. I kicked Gms butt.Got every dollar back. DON LET THE STEALERSHIP B'S you.
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
Don't take the car back again. I love these Stealerships you may take a loss....Lmao YOU WILL TAKE A LOSS. TRUST ME FILE IT!
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
shan1997

John2012camaross thanks for the reply. I'm going to send you a DM
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
shan1997

Stealership. Don't think I've heard that one before this one in particular wants to take no ownership or responsibility for the last two years of back and forth, repairs, more repairs, rental cars, time off work. Don't get it,smh. Not trying to be difficult, just wanted my car restored to its normal working order. I shouldn't have to accept a flawed car that I paid a lot of money for. The lady from GM said they rarely buy cars back but the lemon law states the manufacturer must replace or buy back defective car. I'm Not taking any losses from a dealership that I don't know if they will actually buy car back for what's owed or not. That's crazy. I'm the one being punished and for what? Also not allowing any additional repairs other than the 5 that has already been attempted. I'm not going to let this go.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
db17

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2SS/RS LS3
Fill out your Lemon Law paper work!

Look in you purchase paper work. You should have been given a Lemon Law booklet. In the back pages are some carbon copy's. Fill them out. One copy you keep, one goes to GM, the other to your State Attorney's Office. I can tell you from personal experience that GM takes these very seriously. GM called me 10 days after I mailed them

I bought a brand new 2012 SS/RS L99 in March 2013 that was a left over. To make a long story short, (I can give you more details in a private msg if your interested) GM did what's called a substitution of collateral. Basically buying back my 2012, swapped the VIN #'s on my financing deal, and in return gave me a brand new 2013 SS/RS LS3 with a Hurst short throw, Dual Mode exhaust, and navigation! At no additional cost to me. It was the only car available that was the same color and interior as my 2012. I had made 4 payments by the time they gave me the 2013, so it was like I leased the 2012 for 4 months and I got to keep the same payment and the 0% financing.

Fill the paper work out first. I never needed a lawyer because GM stepped in and stopped the whole process and took care of everything. Also I went to a second dealership and they helped get the ball rolling when I met with the GM rep.
db17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #11
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I did a lemon law on my 2003 GMC Sonoma through the BBB. They were very helpful through the whole process and helped fight for me. Call them and see what they say.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #12
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
the convertible guys have tons of experience with this...

you have to decide what you want... your car repaired properly, a new Camaro or other GM product (buy back), or a cash settlement (lemon law)

The aberration for GM is done by the BBB autoline google it and you can start the process online. GM is bound by the BBB ruling you are not.

The first step to take is to get in touch with GM customer service and get a case number. Do some searching for "buyback" and you will find all that you need.

Good luck.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
tram 2 is right, go that way first..if it doesn't work there are lemon law attorney that will take action . I got a small cash back from dodge once..owned a stratus thought the slap stick was sweet!! mid 90s junk.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote