Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #43
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
If you can afford a Z/28, you'd be a fool Not to get one. It's a collector item already. You could buy one wait until 2016, and sell it for at least $100k easy. Not that I'd sell it. But it's a cash cow.
This to me is disappointing that it would be considered a collector car garage queen. I wish they didn't limit production, as I prefer to see them out on the tracks, being driven the way they were intended. I see Boss 302s on track often, hopefully the same will happen with the Z/28.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #44
Trickracen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you havent seen the GTR VS Z/28 video yet, Here you go

Trickracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
jlauber588

Drives: 2010 camaro
Even if price wasn't an issue I would still keep my 1le just for the fact of the z/28 is born for the track and I don't go that often. For me it was the great mix of performance and "luxury" the 1le had. I was wanting a car that I could drive every day and let loose on the track with if need be. I don't feel the z/28 could be as great of a daily driver

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
jlauber588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #46
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
In keeping with the "Bang for the Buck" comments, if given an additional $8,000. for upgrades to a 2014 1LE what would you (anyone) add to it? (No interest in FI)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #47
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
In keeping with the "Bang for the Buck" comments, if given an additional $8,000. for upgrades to a 2014 1LE what would you (anyone) add to it? (No interest in FI)
Cam/longtubes/high flow cats/CAI/tune, and a set of Forgestars with Nitto NT-01s will set you back a little more than that. This provided you're okay with sacrificing your warranty, many are not. It would be an absolute beast. Those are the mods I would do first. But then you may get addicted to speed like I did and keep going. Suspension, aero, roll bar, harness, LOL.

You can start with a stripped 1LE like I did, I shopped around and paid $35.9K for mine. Add your $8K on top and you are still a little more than half the price of a Z/28, but will be able to track with some pretty exotic cars.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #48
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Cam/longtubes/high flow cats/CAI/tune, and a set of Forgestars with Nitto NT-01s will set you back a little more than that. This provided you're okay with sacrificing your warranty, many are not. It would be an absolute beast. Those are the mods I would do first. But then you may get addicted to speed like I did and keep going. Suspension, aero, roll bar, harness, LOL.

You can start with a stripped 1LE like I did, I shopped around and paid $35.9K for mine. Add your $8K on top and you are still a little more than half the price of a Z/28, but will be able to track with some pretty exotic cars.
Nice thanks! Is that around 525 HP?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #49
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
IIRC he came out around 485HP and 460TQ. Check the links in his signature.

The 1LE van be made competitive to a Z/28 but the Z has some major advantages out of the shoot. Remember it's no biggie to add a can and ported heads with some LT's to a Z/28 also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #50
Firefighter

Just checked he put down 478HP/445TQ to the ground. Those are better than stock Z/28 numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
IIRC he came out around 485HP and 460TQ. Check the links in his signature.

The 1LE van be made competitive to a Z/28 but the Z has some major advantages out of the shoot. Remember it's no biggie to add a can and ported heads with some LT's to a Z/28 also.

Quote:
Just checked he put down 478HP/445TQ to the ground. Those are better than stock Z/28 numbers if I'm not mistaken.

That would be even more at 562HP (478RWHP).

I'm not looking to compete or better the Z/28 (I fully understand what it is). I'm looking for something that pleases me with its capabilities at good value.

Considering the SEMA V8 Concept 1LE with as suggested: Cam, LT's, HI-Flow Cats, CAI, Coilovers, Sways, Urethane Bushings & 6 Pot Front Brembos. $13-$15K?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #52
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That would be even more at 562HP (478RWHP).

I'm not looking to compete or better the Z/28 (I fully understand what it is). I'm looking for something that pleases me with its capabilities at good value.
I would say that out of all of the mods I did, the engine mods were the most satisfying. It is just night and day quicker, which makes the car really fun to track. It accelerates about the same as the GT-R I tracked with, is quicker than the GT3, and is just a tad bit slower than a C6 Z06. It helps that I have 315/30-18s, which are fully 2.6" smaller in diameter. Gobs of torque to the rear wheels

But it's not for everyone, there are drawbacks. No warranty for engine or drivetrain, possible issues passing smog depending upon where you live. In CA, we have 6 years before we have to smog check a new car. So just before the 6 year mark, I will likely convert the engine back to stock. But for me, those trade-offs are worth it. This build turned out well, and car has been reliable on the track.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #53
Firefighter

2nd Chance check my build. I'm on a similar path. Kind of a cross between the L/28 (Lingenfelter), The SSx, and some of my own ideas.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #54
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I would say that out of all of the mods I did, the engine mods were the most satisfying. It is just night and day quicker, which makes the car really fun to track. It accelerates about the same as the GT-R I tracked with, is quicker than the GT3, and is just a tad bit slower than a C6 Z06. It helps that I have 315/30-18s, which are fully 2.6" smaller in diameter. Gobs of torque to the rear wheels

But it's not for everyone, there are drawbacks. No warranty for engine or drivetrain, possible issues passing smog depending upon where you live. In CA, we have 6 years before we have to smog check a new car. So just before the 6 year mark, I will likely convert the engine back to stock. But for me, those trade-offs are worth it. This build turned out well, and car has been reliable on the track.
Quote:
2nd Chance check my build. I'm on a similar path. Kind of a cross between the L/28 (Lingenfelter), The SSx, and some of my own ideas.
Thanks! Thankfully no vehicle checks here.

I will thanks!