Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii View Post
I'd like a video of this...
can't post street racing vids here.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
MBMLS2GTO

Drives: LS2 GTO, 2012 Camaro SS (GF's Car)
HEY guys, new to the forum but I came across a camaro ss last week and it ran pretty strong compared to some I have seen. Who someone chime in and let me know what you would need to have to be neck and neck with me. He never pulled on me and neither did I. My girl has a SS which is why i am on here and I like them too but i'm just trying to see how i compare to one with what mods.

thanks
-AirAid Intake

05 midnight blue GOAT- SOLD/ then dumb ass totaled it :( RIP

MBMLS2GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
MBMLS2GTO

here is my mods

05 midnight blue GOAT
Power
-Pacesettler LT's w/jethot coating with no cats
-VARARAM CAI
-PRoRace UDP
-Livernois stage II cam, pac1218 springs
232/232 @.050 595/595 114LSA
-Borla exhaust system
-Ported intake and TB
-streetslayer clutch (not installed yet)
TUNED by RIAN(GeeTeeOh)

Suspension
-Maverick Man Coilovers
-Hotchkis Sway Bars
-Diff bushing,Cradle bushings
-concept one RS-8 executive edition
-AirAid Intake

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
ls1 gto's are turd sandwich stock, 14 second cars at our track.

I even beat one twice from dead stop in my accord lol, he asked if I was turbocharged....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
The main crutch of the GTO is the rear suspension. It can be a finicky bitch to launch properly, and since a lot of the GTOs are very cheap to buy nowadays, every sideways cap-wearing mouth-breather trades in their IROC for one, and they don't know how to do anything other than smash the pedal to the floor.

This^ I remember one day at my local track, I had no problem beating the LS1 GTO's that were there in my 04 Mustang GT that was a high 13 second car. I know those cars should have eaten my little 2V mustang up, but the drivers couldnt drive. they all needed the driver mod big time.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
MBMLS2GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This^ I remember one day at my local track, I had no problem beating the LS1 GTO's that were there in my 04 Mustang GT that was a high 13 second car. I know those cars should have eaten my little 2V mustang up, but the drivers couldnt drive. they all needed the driver mod big time.
Any car that has a crappy driver is gunna FAIL. The ls1 might not be the ls2 powerplant or the ls3 but it can handle its own with some basic bolt on's. The thing with our cars is getting traction and the suspension isn't the greatest either but once those weak links are taken care the Gto can surprise many people. Personally I love mine and like that they only made 20-40k through all 3 years. I have had plenty of people underestimate mine and all they saw was rear lights with beautiful exhaust tones
-AirAid Intake

Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMLS2GTO View Post
Any car that has a crappy driver is gunna FAIL. The ls1 might not be the ls2 powerplant or the ls3 but it can handle its own with some basic bolt on's. The thing with our cars is getting traction and the suspension isn't the greatest either but once those weak links are taken care the Gto can surprise many people. Personally I love mine and like that they only made 20-40k through all 3 years. I have had plenty of people underestimate mine and all they saw was rear lights with beautiful exhaust tones
I completely agree. I have lot of respect for just about anything with an LS motor in it. Just happens that I always lucked out with people that needed the driver mod haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I owned two GTOs (05 manual, 06 auto).
The LS2 GTO is a much better match from an LS3 Camaro, but it is still a slower car.

Some have already mentioned the GTOs difficulties getting off the line. I had a bxtch of a time launching my GTOs smoothly.
My 5th Gen Camaro SS launches like a dream compared to my GTOs.

The GTOs soft suspension setup combined with those excellent seats makes it one of the most comfortable cars to drive on the street. But the suspension really hurts its ability to get off the line smoothly. My manaul GTO was the worst car I've ever owned for wheel hop issues.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #22
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
My '06 GTO I bought new and is meticulously maintained with Mobil 1 and all services at the dealer for record purposes, and has no where near a 100k miles. Plus I started driving "sports cars" in the 80's so of course think I know a thing or two about how to handle one.
As far as the SS with a novice driver I can hang if the driver knows what there doing they will pull on me eventually. My 06 stock Goat still pulls on plenty of Mustangs though and lots of others. Just the other day a Mustang pulled up beside me maybe a '14 when I was leaving the car wash with damp tires. Lets just say there is nothing like your tires smoking with a slight fishtail while you fly pass the Stang that wanted to race. Needless to say it turned at the next corner.
Some of the most fun I ever had was going 3 wide In my Goat with a ZR1 Vette, and Viper at over 140 and none of us more than two cars apart with me in the middle. To fun.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #23
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
There's no way in hell you're gonna have a stock GTO hang with a ZR1 Vette and a Viper. Both of those cars are lighter and have more power, especially up top than the LS2. I have several kills from a good friend who owns a 06 GTO with the following mods: PTB, ported intake manifold, Vararam CAI, full exhaust (Kooks 3") and a custom tune by Pat G. My car first run had catless down pipes, CAI and canned SCT X4 tune. We went from a 20 roll first run and he never had a chance. As soon as I hit 2nd gear, I put lengths on him quite easily. 2nd run was from a dig and he held a 1-1.5 car lead until I hit 2nd gear. I walked him down quite easily and by the top of 3rd I was already 5-6 ahead when he let off. When I got my headers installed, I asked for a re-run and he wouldn't oblige saying that it was gonna be worse than before. I've raced another friend w/a LSA CTS-V and considering the fact it's an auto and s/c, he didn't beat me as bad as I thought he would have. They are pretty fast yes, but not a match for the LS3 unless it has ported heads or aftermarket heads.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #24
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
I've had an 06 GTO, 360 rwhp can not keep up with a ZR1 or Viper, they must have been cruising at 140, not racing lol
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #25
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Speeds ranged between 60-150. Everyone was just playing both those cars would smoke my Goat especially if lined up. The goat top end 160 back then. However the stock GTO did 0-60 in around 4.3 thats not exactly falling to far behind from a dead stop, but didn't go from those speeds. It was who wants to be the most irresponsible on a 4 lane interstate full of traffic at those speeds.
Didn't say it was smart, didn't say it was fair, and didn't say I won, just said it was hella fun especially when we split the prison bus down the middle.
In the end the Vette pulled on the Viper, the Viper ended up pulling on me and we took the next three exits respectively.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #26
91redchevy

Drives: '13 2ss rs 1le
The best time I ever ran in my '04 GTO A4 was a 13.1xx@105 or so. This was tune and muffler delete only with good tires. Perfect weather, late fall. My '13 1le all stock pulls much harder from a dig or roll. Haven't tracked it yet but the only reason the Camaro would be slower is the idiot behind the wheel.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:43 AM   #27
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I never had a SS beat me in my 06 GTO. My mods were k&n CAI, pedders suspension and a ripshifter. Best quarter was 12.4 with 386 to the wheels.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #28
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
I had an 05 m6 gto and seat of the pants it felt about the same as my 1le
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote