Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Melba Toast

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
My muffler deletes on my LS3 is seriously loud!

Also, these 5th gens have a lot more sound deadening in them then S197 mustangs and 08+ Challengers, so the exhaust sound is fairly quiet on the inside of the car. It's VERY deceiving.

I did a burnout a few days ago and had a buddy of mine film it for me from the outside and afterward he was telling me just how unreal my car sounds "Dude, that thing is LOUDDDDDDDD from the outside, jesus christ!" was his exact comment he said to me right after the burnout.

Said burnout:

And, i cant even begin to tell you how many people have literally jumped after I start my car up from how loud it pops and growls on startup. Still on stock manifolds/catback/resonators, just muffler deletes.

Also, the shop who told you that these cars need the back-pressure from the mufflers doesnt know these cars. The stock cans are a straight through design with an internal J-pipe. You will not lose any power nor is it "bad" for your car.

In short, Muffler deletes will definitely be louder then the borla attak axle back on an otherwise stock L99. That huge resonator underneath is what is killing your sound.

I would sell the atak's you just got, recoup what you can, get the muffler delete and see if thats enough for you. If not, pickup the JEGS X-pipe for these cars to replace your stock RES..then im sure you'll love the sound.

Solo or JBA High flow catted mid-pipes are a good option if you're not willing to go the long-tube route either. It just really depends what youre willing to spend.
3rdgen3-- THIS. That Video. Man, thats what Im talking about!

Ahh so the 5th gens have a lot more sound deadening in them? Crap... now that makes sense. I loved the borla that I had my Challenger. It was actually quad exhaust. But the Roush on my GT 5.0 ...man... It took me back to when I had my '69 Z/28 back in the day. It was like thunder from beneath. I would roll by the neighborhood slowly and set off ALL their alarms.. but that was all the work I put into it and the engine. It was a MONSTER.

Ok. So. It looks like the muffler delete seems to be the solid solution amongst everyone. Which was my first instinct. Actually I had a used set of SLP Loudmouth 1 that I got from someone but decided to sell them and go with the Atak, thinking this would be better. Guess that was my fault for not even trying out the Loudmouths first...

"And, i cant even begin to tell you how many people have literally jumped after I start my car up from how loud it pops and growls on startup. Still on stock manifolds/catback/resonators, just muffler deletes."

see...THATS what I want. I love THAT! But you have an LS3, so it will be considerably louder than mine right? But thats awesome! good stuff!

"Also, the shop who told you that these cars need the back-pressure from the mufflers doesnt know these cars. The stock cans are a straight through design with an internal J-pipe. You will not lose any power nor is it "bad" for your car"

Really? I thought as much, but, I believed them because they are the best shop around here, are really well known and do custom exhaust for show cars and
such. So I took them at their word and decided not to do the muffler delete. Now I'm really regretting not just giving it a shot first. I just didn't have the money to keep doing things over and didn't think it would be an issue after the Atak system... dammitt...

If I keep the resonators intact though, and do the muffler delete, will it still be LOUD and Nasty or still be muffled and lower note again? And now that it's cut already and fitted with the Ataks, will they have to weld something in or can I just remove the Ataks and then put say the Loudmouth 1 on there? Or will it not fit properly because its already cut for the fitting of the Ataks? I'm not sure I want to weld straight pipe JUST in case Im once again not pleased with the delete!
Melba Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Melba Toast

Oh and on muffler deletes can you HEAR it in the cabin or still quiet inside?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
CamarocrayZ

Drives: CGM 2SS
yeah you can hear it in the cabin, really well but it will mellow out
CamarocrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Melba Toast

Ok. So I'm doing a bit more research online....forums and videos again.

Looks like I have two choices to think about right now.

1) Pull off the Atak axle backs and do muffler delete with keeping the stock center resonator.
2) Keep the Ataks on and delete the resonator by putting in an X Pipe instead.

Either of these will give me a MEANER LOUDER MUSCLE car sound right? (until I go HF cats and LT headers later on)

OK THIS SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I WANT. It's an A6 with a muffler delete and x pipe. My only concern is the drone and AFM though...

Last edited by Melba Toast; 03-15-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: adding video
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melba Toast View Post
Ok. So I'm doing a bit more research online....forums and videos again.

Looks like I have two choices to think about right now.

1) Pull off the Atak axle backs and do muffler delete with keeping the stock center resonator.
2) Keep the Ataks on and delete the resonator by putting in an X Pipe instead.

Either of these will give me a MEANER LOUDER MUSCLE car sound right? (until I go HF cats and LT headers later on)

OK THIS SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I WANT. It's an A6 with a muffler delete and x pipe. My only concern is the drone and AFM though...
If you're against tuning, get the RANGE device to deal with AFM and you can always pickup the Solo performance J-pipes. Same as muffler deletes, its just pre-made with the j-pipe welded on to cancel out all the drone.

I dont have drone problems in my car unless im holding 2200rpms, which i dont have any reason too so its easily manageable. Cruising on the highway my rpms are low and in 6th, its pretty quiet.

Either way you put it though, if you want a real "muscle car" sound, you need to ditch that L99 resonator and either deal with AFM or tune it out/RANGE device.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #20
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Drives: 2012 SW L99 2SS/RS
Since you dont want to go LT, HFCs and tune, If I were you id keep the ATAK axelback, get an xpipe to get rid of that huge restrictive resonator and a range device. No matter what option you choose though I would get the range to get rid of that annoying AFM. Ted from Jannetty racing has a great thread that I am too lazy to find and link right now that talked about improving your cars exhaust note by starting at the front. This way you dont have to do so many back and forth mods to finally get happy with the sound. I know that you dont want to lose your warranty just yet.

Me personally, I said to hell with the warranty

Edit- Also if you have friends that have different camaro exhaust setups or go to a meet listen to what they have in person instead of basing your opinion on sound from the internet only. This will also help save time and money by not having to constantly change stuff out. Over time however, you might develop what many others have, and will get used to the nice louder sound at first. Then youll get used to it and it will sound quiet. Before you know it, the cam and cut outs are going on lol.

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
PFADT Tri-Y Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Circle D 3800 Torque Converter
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Beckmann2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #21
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
I have an LS3 with stainless works retro chambered cat back and solo hi flo cats. I'm telling you right now it's awesome. Get with APEX and they will hook you up with a good deal. Best sounding setup I've heard on the new Camaro personally without headers.
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
dab86

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Headers, resonator delete, and headers will make ur L99 sound like a monster. The L99 has HUGE resonators. Get rid of them and it will make a big difference.

I have an L99 with headers, no resonators, and JBA 3 inch competition exhaust and its loud as hell!
dab86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
Melba Toast

Has anyone had experience with the Jegs X Pipe? How is the install; do they have clamps or have to be welded? I'm thinking if this is going to wake it up and increase the flow and volume I might start with this since I already invested in the Borla axle backs.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Melba Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckmann2420 View Post
Since you dont want to go LT, HFCs and tune, If I were you id keep the ATAK axelback, get an xpipe to get rid of that huge restrictive resonator and a range device. No matter what option you choose though I would get the range to get rid of that annoying AFM. Ted from Jannetty racing has a great thread that I am too lazy to find and link right now that talked about improving your cars exhaust note by starting at the front. This way you dont have to do so many back and forth mods to finally get happy with the sound. I know that you dont want to lose your warranty just yet.

Edit- Also if you have friends that have different camaro exhaust setups or go to a meet listen to what they have in person instead of basing your opinion on sound from the internet only. This will also help save time and money by not having to constantly change stuff out. Over time however, you might develop what many others have, and will get used to the nice louder sound at first. Then youll get used to it and it will sound quiet. Before you know it, the cam and cut outs are going on lol.
Yeah not at the moment. In time, I'm sure I will go HF Cats, LT and tune. But for right now, I just want make my exhaust set up work and be able sound louder and meaner than the muffled sound it has now. Just like everyone else on here I'm sure-- I'm driving a mean looking muscle car...and it needs to sound that way too!!

Thinking of getting the Jegs x pipe and the range device. I just really hate the GM had to do this with the Camaro. The whole AFM thing is just ridiculous to me. But ya know, I'm coming from old school gen (i can't believe I'm saying that already). I grew up owning all kinds of muscle cars. You buy a V8 for a reason. Simple as that.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends with 5th gen Camaros. My brother has a Mustang so we have our friendly rivalry and I get sh** from those around me for defecting from Ford to GM...LOL... So sadly I can't hear anyone else's set up as much as I would like to. Having owned a lot of different muscle cars throughout the years I can tell ya, I love it LOUD but I think I do end up getting used to it and then want louder and louder. Like with my Challenger. Over time, it sounded great to me but I never thought it was too loud at all... but my brother and other friends would always say they knew when I was heading to their house because they could hear the Challenger from blocks away! And I would always get stopped, asked about and complimented on my sound even thumbs up from a motorcycle cop at the stoplight!. It was just a Borla Mopar cat back, Tune and Mopar CAI..... One guy actually told me, he has a 1970 Hemi RT and mine sounded as close to his than he had heard of any modern Challenger.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
e7lek

Drives: Camaro SS
listen dude, all these people are right. but I dont see the answer here. This happened to me aswell. its the resonator. trust me when i say that, the resonator in the middle. take it off, do an X pipe. the car will be louder than the roush stang or even on par with it. your answer is right here in this paragraph buddy, dont hesitate just go out and install an X pipe and then whisper *thanks e7lek* to the wind

As for the AFM, i got the range device and wow. best mod to the car by far. makes it a true v8.

Let me know how it goes
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Here you go Pace already posted this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckmann2420 View Post

Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #27
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Remove that resonator. My car had it and I did the resonator delete, stuck the x pipe in it's place, got rid of the mufflers, did a set of shorties, and now it's almost where I want it. You'll get more of an aggressive and louder sound without that resonator for sure. As for sound in the cab mines not really bad but I have a sound system so I use it not have to hear the drone.
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #28
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I have the full cat back with high flow cats and LT headers and my borla ATAK is loud as hell! It sounds great, but the drone in the car is pretty loud as well.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote