Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #3333
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I thought the Walking Dead wasn't coming on again until fall?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #3334
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole_85 View Post
The ZL1 hasn't raped the GT500.
Three full seconds at VIR amounts to being soundly beaten. Either do the math yourself, or take my word for it that 3 seconds at VIR is about equal to a football field including both end zones. Every lap. By the end of a session you won't even see the taillights a lot of the time. And that's with the GT500 pulling out a 4.5 mph or so advantage in top track speed.

Obviously, lap time differences won't be as much on shorter courses, or on courses with a different mix of technicality vs power-friendliness. But normalized to the lap times, don't expect an awful lot of variation.

Quote:
The GT500 was built for the street.
So was the ZL1. What's your point here?

Quote:
You do not see their owners replacing the brake pads or relocating their splitters.
If it's road course GT500 owners that you're talking about not replacing pads, you need to find a smarter bunch of folks to talk to. Wasn't too hard to find brake discussion in the "Open Track Racing" forum. Me - I'll take dust and even a little more rotor wear if it comes with better brake feel/performance every time, so don't bother going there.

Quote:
They are very close on a road course.
See above for how far apart your idea of "close" really is. Sad to say, but the 1LE's Lightning Lap time is closer to the GT500's than the GT500's is to the ZL1's. Yeah, it is kind of a bitter pill to swallow when a 230+ HP advantage can't make a better showing than 0.9 seconds in 4 miles even though the GT500's top track speed advantage over the 1LE is over 12 mph.

Quote:
But we both know the 2013 GT500 rapes the ZL1 on a drag strip.
Always this same bragging-rights face-saver. Unfortunately, this isn't the last time it'll get trotted out.

Best I can tell you is to buy the car that fits you better and appreciate what the other car does better. Hell, seeing what the other guys have as advantages might even give you different ideas about what you want or need to mod on yours.

Pay attention to what I'm driving. I still enjoy it, a lot. But I know that it's got a few warts (that's why I make the mods I do). As a car enthusiast first I'd post this pretty much verbatim on any Mustang forum, and if the fanboys get a little butt-hurt that's their problem.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #3335
Nole_85

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Ok I'll play "nole" please feel free to post a video of a stock 13/14 gt500 hitting 200mph. And please don't try posting the one that popped up a few weeks ago that clearly should it "NOT" hitting 200. Also welcome to C5.....
I do not have to prove anything. I stated my case. Ford would be sued if the car will not do 200 mph. Just because some stupid magazine editorial staff could not coax 200 mph out of one is proof of nothing. It would cost too much to do a real test. Ford has to prove nothing. Most people know which car is the baddest.

And my money says because of the size of Da Ring, the 2013 Gt500 would beat the ZL1. It is widely known track times vary greatly depending on the weather and time of year. Head to head the 2013 GT500 would beat the ZL1 on Da ring.

Besides, tell me how many owners of either car have been on Da Ring or any other road course. The street and track are all that matters. And we know who dominate both.
Nole_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #3336
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I do not have to prove anything. I stated my case.Then you don't have a leg to stand on, thus you lose credibility Ford would be sued if the car will not do 200 mph. Sued by who? Ford made a claim and didn't live up to it, no one is going to sue over that, sheesh, get real Just because some stupid magazine editorial staff could not coax 200 mph out of one is proof of nothing. It would cost too much to do a real test. Ford has to prove nothing. Most people know which car is the baddest. Yep, It's the ZL1

And my money says because of the size of Da Ring, the 2013 Gt500 would beat the ZL1. And that's why Ford never released ring times It is widely known track times vary greatly depending on the weather and time of year. Head to head the 2013 GT500 would beat the ZL1 on Da ring.

Besides, tell me how many owners of either car have been on Da Ring or any other road course. The street and track are all that matters. And we know who dominate both.
Oh, boy! some people love to live in denial. Makes their day go better I suppose.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #3337
Nole_85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Three full seconds at VIR amounts to being soundly beaten. Either do the math yourself, or take my word for it that 3 seconds at VIR is about equal to a football field including both end zones. Every lap. By the end of a session you won't even see the taillights a lot of the time. And that's with the GT500 pulling out a 4.5 mph or so advantage in top track speed.
Wow, three whole seconds for a car with bigger tires, more camber, softer brake pads, IRS.................that was purpose built for a road course that owners are having to do changes to drive it on the street versus a car with a solid axle.

At 120 MPH three seconds is half a football field and I doubt it was pulling 120 at the stripe.

That's why Chevy was/is in trouble. They build cars for the track they try to sell to the public especially NASCAM. Ford builds a car to sell to the public they take to the track.

Quote:
Obviously, lap time differences won't be as much on shorter courses, or on courses with a different mix of technicality vs power-friendliness. But normalized to the lap times, don't expect an awful lot of variation.
The ZL1 lost at Willow Springs. Still behind after 3 laps.

Quote:
So was the ZL1. What's your point here?
How many owners are swapping out the brake pads, modifying the splitter, tires wearing out prematurely? I'd rather have a car that comes with brake pads and tires like stones. That gives me the option of buying really good equipment for the type of racing I choose to do.

Quote:
If it's road course GT500 owners that you're talking about not replacing pads, you need to find a smarter bunch of folks to talk to. Wasn't too hard to find brake discussion in the "Open Track Racing" forum. Me - I'll take dust and even a little more rotor wear if it comes with better brake feel/performance every time, so don't bother going there.
Owners can't use it on the street. There are laws. It's bad enough with these stupid little import drivers without a bunch of people my age trying to prove they are Dale Earnhardt. The GT500 handles plenty well for the street and is impressive on a drag strip. That what people want.

Quote:
See above for how far apart your idea of "close" really is. Sad to say, but the 1LE's Lightning Lap time is closer to the GT500's than the GT500's is to the ZL1's. Yeah, it is kind of a bitter pill to swallow when a 230+ HP advantage can't make a better showing than 0.9 seconds in 4 miles even though the GT500's top track speed advantage over the 1LE is over 12 mph.
Back when I had my 99 and 01 Cobras nobody talked about handling. It was "no replacement for displacement". The Terminators changed all that. People today are no different. The overwhelming majority buy what they like as far as looks, brand and straight line performance. The majority of ZL1 owners would trade what the 2013 GT500 has in a pico-second.

Quote:
Always this same bragging-rights face-saver. Unfortunately, this isn't the last time it'll get trotted out.
No face-saver at all. There aren't a handful of ZL1 owners that posted in this topic ever been on a road course. Look at the volume of videos on Youtube. All street and drag strip racing. All the ZL1 has to show it is better than the 2013 GT500 are a few lap times only slightly better on "AVERAGE" from mostly European magazine writers in this country. I'll take the volume of what I see on Youtube as a better presentation of which is a better car.

It's also small consolation to have the praise of some mag writer after you get wrung up in a drag race.

Quote:
Best I can tell you is to buy the car that fits you better and appreciate what the other car does better. Hell, seeing what the other guys have as advantages might even give you different ideas about what you want or need to mod on yours.
That's what I wrote above. I simply asked an owner that says "GT500's taste like chicken" with a long list of impressive mods without track time or videos or power numbers.

Seems a little odd.

Quote:
Pay attention to what I'm driving. I still enjoy it, a lot. But I know that it's got a few warts (that's why I make the mods I do). As a car enthusiast first I'd post this pretty much verbatim on any Mustang forum, and if the fanboys get a little butt-hurt that's their problem.

Norm
No secret the fuse for getting banned on C5 is a lot shorter than SVTPerf. I see Camaro/ZL1 owners posting on SVTPerf. just about as much as they want to and not get banned so I would question which group get's butt hurt the most. I can assure you if you think GT500 owners are butt hurt you have a perception that is flawed.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #3338
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Comes to camaro forum.

Sees negative posts about his car.

Decides to make account to try to change the minds of hardcore camaro enthusiasts.

Half the forum
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3339
Nole_85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Oh, boy! some people love to live in denial. Makes their day go better I suppose.
I notice I see a lot of these over here .

Kind of funny actually.

As far as false advertisement, are you kidding me. In this day and time. Ever hear about the idiot that took Sears to court for his pool that was a few inches narrower than advertised.

Sorry, a 700 HP car with a 3.31 gear will go 200 mph. The restrictor plate Cup cars in NASCAM are making around 500 HP.

As for your remarks about Ford releasing times. There was no need for it. They did a test for their engineering. Ford has/had nothing to prove. Look at these UFO's nuts that show a video a gate at Area 51 with the sign trespassers will be shot as proof the government is hiding something. Funny, most military bases I was at had the same signs.

As I said, all you have are a few magazine times to brag about.

I'll take the GT500.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #3340
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
I notice I see a lot of these over here .

Kind of funny actually.

As far as false advertisement, are you kidding me. In this day and time. Ever hear about the idiot that took Sears to court for his pool that was a few inches narrower than advertised.

Sorry, a 700 HP car with a 3.31 gear will go 200 mph. The restrictor plate Cup cars in NASCAM are making around 500 HP.

As for your remarks about Ford releasing times. There was no need for it. They did a test for their engineering. Ford has/had nothing to prove. Look at these UFO's nuts that show a video a gate at Area 51 with the sign trespassers will be shot as proof the government is hiding something. Funny, most military bases I was at had the same signs.

As I said, all you have are a few magazine times to brag about.

I'll take the GT500.
Oh, now I understand your logic, you read the National Enquirer. Son, I'm glad your proud of your Ford product, but coming over here and TRYING to prove the GT500 is a superior vehicle only leads to the conclusion that you're

Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #3341
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Comes to camaro forum.

Sees negative posts about his car.

Decides to make account to try to change the minds of hardcore camaro enthusiasts.

Half the forum
Don't you mean 3/4 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17587

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 06-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3342
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Whether you realize it or not, I'm trying to help you out.

Quote:
Ford would be sued if the car will not do 200 mph.
You can't prove a negative, and would not be uncontestable evidence even if you could. Sorry.

Quote:
Besides, tell me how many owners of either car have been on Da Ring or any other road course.
Stick around and try not to be such a rabid fanboy and you'll find folks who do exactly that. Not necessarily the 'Ring, as that's out of reach of most folks.

Quote:
The street and strip are all that matters.
Edited for clarity.
Maybe that's all that matters to you. That's OK. Really.

Quote:
Wow, three whole seconds for a car with bigger tires, more camber, softer brake pads, IRS.................that was purpose built for a road course that owners are having to do changes to drive it on the street versus a car with a solid axle.
Don't whine about what the other car has, it does not make yours any better (and might even get in the way of you making it better)..

Quote:
At 120 MPH three seconds is half a football field and I doubt it was pulling 120 at the stripe.
Math class is now in session.

4.1 miles = 21,648 feet
3 minutes = 180 seconds
Average speed = 21648/180 = 120.x feet per second
3 seconds at 120.x fps = . . . . wait for it . . . 360+ feet.
How long is your football field again?

I'll always run the numbers before I post them up. Doing so here was nothing out of the ordinary for me (ask around).

Quote:
The ZL1 lost at Willow Springs. Still behind after 3 laps.
Sure, you can always cherry-pick one or two results. Somebody somewhere in a ZL1 has probably beat a GT500 in a drag race, but it's not of enough interest to me to chase all over the internet to find it.

Quote:
How many owners are swapping out the brake pads, modifying the splitter, tires wearing out prematurely? I'd rather have a car that comes with brake pads and tires like stones. That gives me the option of buying really good equipment for the type of racing I choose to do.

Owners can't use it on the street. There are laws. It's bad enough with these stupid little import drivers without a bunch of people my age trying to prove they are Dale Earnhardt. The GT500 handles plenty well for the street and is impressive on a drag strip. That what people want.
If you've never driven on the street with more aggressive pads than OE, you simply don't know what you're talking about. You don't even have to be driving highway-speed-limit fast to notice the difference.

"Tires like stones" have no business being on a high performance car.

Yes, the GT500 does have fairly strong handling/cornering credentials. I've got GT500 wheels on my GT for a reason.

Quote:
Back when I had my 99 and 01 Cobras nobody talked about handling. It was "no replacement for displacement". The Terminators changed all that. People today are no different. The overwhelming majority buy what they like as far as looks, brand and straight line performance. The majority of ZL1 owners would trade what the 2013 GT500 has in a pico-second.
This one point is probably the one that bothers me more than any other - you are assuming that your preferences must also apply to me, that I have no choice but to be a drag racer who takes corners only because it is occasionally necessary.

Majority does not equal everybody. Maybe you never had any interest in cornering. That's OK too. Just don't assume that everybody else feels exactly the way you do. FYI there have been cornering oriented forums and whole sites devoted to cornering going at least as far back as your ownership of those two cars. My own interest in cornering is conveniently measured in decades . . . even while the original muscle cars were duking it out on the streets and at the strip.

Quote:
No face-saver at all. . . . . Look at the volume of videos on Youtube. All street and drag strip racing.
At or toward the end of a post makes it a face saver. Otherwise you could mention it first and get it out of the way as common knowledge. No, I guess you wouldn't find very many road course videos mixed in with drag racing and street racing. Try different search terms or whatever it is you do to find stuff on youtube.

Quote:
All the ZL1 has to show it is better than the 2013 GT500 are a few lap times only slightly better on "AVERAGE" from mostly European magazine writers in this country. I'll take the volume of what I see on Youtube as a better presentation of which is a better car.

It's also small consolation to have the praise of some mag writer after you get wrung up in a drag race.
I get it - one of the reasons you don't like the ZL1 is because it rates better than your car does outside of your world of drag racing. Would you put more faith in the results and conclusions of a handling comparison between these two cars put on by "Drag Illustrated"?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #3343
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
You're (mostly) all assuming "he" just arrived...OR perhaps she's "returning", after her last antiperspirant wore off...BAN...and may wear off quickly again...

As the Kotter show used as a theme song:

"Welcome Back"...

"90% of Fords are still on the road"...the other 10% made it home safely...

BACK
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #3344
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
You're (mostly) all assuming "he" just arrived...OR perhaps she's "returning", after her last antiperspirant wore off...BAN...and may wear off quickly again...

"Welcome Back"...

BACK

The gravitational pull back to this thread is just overwhelming.

Great try Norm...
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #3345
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

"Welcome Back"...

BACK
I almost agreed with you, then I realized I had no clue what you're talking about
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #3346
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I almost agreed with you, then I realized I had no clue what you're talking about
TV show from the 70's