Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
TGG1SS

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro 1SS M6 LS3
Differential failure - grinding noise when making right turn

Dropped by car off Monday AM for the service department to look at the gear box or check for any EO documents relative to this problem.

When I make a right turn (sharp turn) or right turn heading into a driveway, the gears grind and the car comes to a halt, sounds like a metal to metal grind

The service department has changed the diff oil and performed some recommended left and right circular turns as well as 4 figure 8's per a document they found. So far it hasn't done the trick.

Has anyone had the same or similar issue?

Waiting for a call from the service depo with some new news.
TGG1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Are you stock or any power adders?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
This? wrong one - just edited....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=differential
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
You sir need a new pumpkin.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
Are you stock or any power adders?
No adders, all stock.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
I would settle for chatter, but this is an all out grind, sounds like a wood chipper when it happens.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You sir need a new pumpkin.
I think this would be the best thing to do. I have a problem with the fact that this thing could grenade with my wife and daughter in the car as it is our daily driver/weekend car.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Sounds like you crushed your spider gears.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
FrankD01

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Mine makes a noise when I back up and turn. Usually happens when I back out of my driveway or a parking spot when the car is cold. Today I heard a grinding noise when I pulled forward also.
FrankD01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
TGG1SS

UPDATE:

Car was in the shop for around a week or so, they had changed the oil and seals and instructed me to drive the car for 500 miles and then call them with any information, Well, the car still does the grinding and completely stops when going upward out of a driveway and slightly turned to the left, also does the same thing when making a sharp right hand turn, next steps are to replace the "clutches" according to the dealership.

I have to say the William L. Morris Chevrolet of Simi Valley, CA has been spot on as far as working on this issue, customer service is great.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG1SS View Post
UPDATE:

Car was in the shop for around a week or so, they had changed the oil and seals and instructed me to drive the car for 500 miles and then call them with any information, Well, the car still does the grinding and completely stops when going upward out of a driveway and slightly turned to the left, also does the same thing when making a sharp right hand turn, next steps are to replace the "clutches" according to the dealership.

I have to say the William L. Morris Chevrolet of Simi Valley, CA has been spot on as far as working on this issue, customer service is great.
Hello TGG1SS,

We are very happy that you are pleased with your current dealership experience and expect that great service to continue going forward. I would also like to extend our assistance as another resource, should you have any questions or concerns. We work together alongside our dealership partners to help our customers.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD01 View Post
Mine makes a noise when I back up and turn. Usually happens when I back out of my driveway or a parking spot when the car is cold. Today I heard a grinding noise when I pulled forward also.
you sir just need a little slip lock

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-oil-additive/

i noticed the same thing in my buddy's ride (45th anniv ed). had some chatter when making turns and reverse when i did my gear swap. a little slip lock cleared it right up.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #13
Switch96U

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Mine took a crap on me at 1500, blew a seal out and at 2000 miles, there was slack in the gears and it destroyed the diff gears and bearings. Had to have all the interals replaced. Iam not sure if its the same thing just not as bad. The seal blew in a hard shift to 2nd and the while diff went when I shifted from reverse to 1st.
Switch96U is offline   Reply With Quote