Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
GM, just me personally but id take some consideration into making the ZL1, Z/28 models (or whatever high end model you deicde to go with) harder for others to make there LS/LT/SS into them. It may be impossible but owning several models I've never been the type to slap other models parts on it to make it a clone(unless it was produced that way from factory, i.e 1LE). It may be harder to manufacture but making it extremely difficult would deter others to clone.

Some may disagree but owning a ZL1 I've seen alot of cloning/copying going on as of lately, from the 1LE/ZL1 rims, to ZL1 conversion kits. It makes owning an actual ZL1 alittle less pleasing. I understand rims being easy to buy but making exterior changes to the body dramatically will make people think twice about doing major modifications. Simple bolt-on parts are what is making people do it, take that way, and that'll cure that issue. I understand you'll stay have the die hard cloners but giving them some speed bumps could be easy. Just like its hard for others to install the mylink Nav into older models the same could be done for other areas.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
I appreciate the honest input from a ZL1 owner. I know what you mean. All ZL1 parts should require a VIN, provide proof of ownership, and core exchange if applicable.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
I appreciate the honest input from a ZL1 owner. I know what you mean. All ZL1 parts should require a VIN, provide proof of ownership, and core exchange if applicable.
Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, alot of LS/LT/SS owners have gorgeous cars and can very do what they please with it. I wouldn't say, the ZL1 parts should require a VIN, but I just want GM to make them alittle more exclusive, to whatever the most powerful Camaro is for the 6th Gen. As of now, the ZL1 looks to be the most power 5th Gen, so they should make it alittle harder to replicate.

I remember Al being asked before the ZL1 was made into production if the front bumper could be bolted on the other previous models, and he said no. I'm certain they wanted people to stay true to there vehicle and shy away from people cloning.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
214Chevelle

Drives: 72 Chevelle
The only way to not clone/copy something is to not invent it. Once something is invented and released to the public and another feels it's worth copying, they'll do just that. Especially if a product is selling like hot cakes, they want in on the action too. And as long as it doesn't use any Chevy logo's or copywritten names, like ZL1, it can and will be done. Now, to name something a 1LE/ZL1 is not the same as ZL1 because the "1LE" was added. I'm no expert, just my $.02. But, I agree with you, I hate copycats.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
GM, just me personally but id take some consideration into making the ZL1, Z/28 models (or whatever high end model you deicde to go with) harder for others to make there LS/LT/SS into them. It may be impossible but owning several models I've never been the type to slap other models parts on it to make it a clone(unless it was produced that way from factory, i.e 1LE). It may be harder to manufacture but making it extremely difficult would deter others to clone.

Some may disagree but owning a ZL1 I've seen alot of cloning/copying going on as of lately, from the 1LE/ZL1 rims, to ZL1 conversion kits. It makes owning an actual ZL1 alittle less pleasing. I understand rims being easy to buy but making exterior changes to the body dramatically will make people think twice about doing major modifications. Simple bolt-on parts are what is making people do it, take that way, and that'll cure that issue. I understand you'll stay have the die hard cloners but giving them some speed bumps could be easy. Just like its hard for others to install the mylink Nav into older models the same could be done for other areas.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
LOL your kidding right....
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
jameslk55

Quote:
Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, alot of LS/LT/SS owners have gorgeous cars and can very do what they please with it. I wouldn't say, the ZL1 parts should require a VIN, but I just want GM to make them alittle more exclusive, to whatever the most powerful Camaro is for the 6th Gen. As of now, the ZL1 looks to be the most power 5th Gen, so they should make it alittle harder to replicate.

I remember Al being asked before the ZL1 was made into production if the front bumper could be bolted on the other previous models, and he said no. I'm certain they wanted people to stay true to there vehicle and shy away from people cloning.
I wonder if he meant to say, "no... the ZL1 bumper lines will not match with the hood lines."

If GM wants people to try away from cloning, they should treat all the ZL1 exterior conversion parts like their hood insert. Other than that, you can't make the 'ZL1' exclusive if you don't restrict sales of its parts.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Thanks.

Well if you don't want people to borrow parts from a ZL1 for their non-ZL1 camaro then how about all ZL1 owners leave their cars completely stock the way GM made them. After all the ZL1 is limited production and is supposed to be unique right? Isn't that why you are wanting GM to make it so people cannot put ZL1 parts on a non-ZL1 camaro?

Let's look at the flip side of this. It can also really irritate the non-ZL1 owners to see the real ZL1's being modified by their owners and putting aftermarket wheels on them (when the Black ZL1 wheels are one of the most sought after wheel for the 5th gen right now), different hoods, ground effects etc... Afterall a lot of us non-ZL1 owners would kill to have a lot of the ZL1 parts that the ZL1 owners don't fully appreciate and then end up taking off their cars because they want their already unique car to be "their own".

So in the end who cares what parts people put on their cars. Just let people make their cars look how they want. As another person already said the only time it really matters is if you are buying something you think is a ZL1 but it's not.

I feel like the ZL1 owers that are complaining about the ZL1 part modding being done to SS's and LT's is because they feel like their "status" is being pulled down since "lower status" camaros can easily borrow parts to look like the "higher status" car. It's just silly.
This "status" attitude is the same attitude that the Vette guys have with Camaro. They get upset when the Camaro get's too many vette parts or when their beloved C7 corvette has tail lights that somewhat resemble Camaro tail lights. Just silly. Mass production is that. The higher the volumes the cheaper the part prices which equals larger profit margins.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
People do it to BMWs, Jeeps, Camaros, Mustangs, etc... Not really an issue unless you buy something when you think you are buying something else.

The real core of the issue is the feeling of being elite or in more cases the want of being elite.

If you really want to be elite, go buy a Fisker Karma or a Bugatti...
Bingo... Well said!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You wouldn't have the ZL1 at all if all of us from 2009-2012 hadn't bought a TON of LS, LT, and SS models

You're not going to get exclusivity out of a mass-produced car, plain and simple.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq

Last edited by wullger; 01-26-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #25
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
If you're looking for an exclusive car, you're buying the wrong brand.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
jameslk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
The real core of the issue is the feeling of being elite or in more cases the want of being elite.
I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to be elite. The ZL1 stuff looks good and is functional. False badging is an issue. I don't think anyone is trying to make an exact ZL1 replica of their Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
I don't have a ZL1 myself-just some conversion parts. I'm just saying, if GM wants to make the ZL1 appearance exclusive, that's what they should do.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
This guy
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #28
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Dont you dare try to pulley down so your HP/TQ levels will be up there with mine. Dont you dare try to clone Ashley....

I Love Lamp...

Closed Thread