Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
audiomikej

Drives: the wife crazy talking Camaros
To those that want to make more power than stock, E85 is a winner. If 93 is available in your area than yes you can make more power. For us 91 octane areas who want a little more we are limited to race gas, nitrous, meth, alky, water, and E85. Of these choices E85 is my first choice. Another alternative I would consider is using a modified AC system to cool the supercharger intercooler water.
audiomikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Monsterpost
Banned

Drives: 2010 Dodge Charger Police
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
I wouldn't drop up to $60k on a sports car and then mess with the fuel to save a few bucks. It costs money to play the game.
The point isn't saving money, its making more power.
Monsterpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomikej View Post
To those that want to make more power than stock, E85 is a winner. If 93 is available in your area than yes you can make more power. For us 91 octane areas who want a little more we are limited to race gas, nitrous, meth, alky, water, and E85. Of these choices E85 is my first choice. Another alternative I would consider is using a modified AC system to cool the supercharger intercooler water.
I'd run it on 91 and enjoy the car. If I was going to 1/4 mile it and needed optimum times I'd mix in some octane booster to boost the fuel up a few points. Or a few gallons of unleaded race gas. CAI and scoop to keep the incoming air cool.

If I had a ZL1 (maybe next year), race gas, nitrous, meth, alky, water or E85, would not be used at any time. No need for any of it. I have a friend that lives in a 91 octane area and drives a CTS-V. I've never heard him complain once about lack of power or fretting over searching out fuel additives. He just enjoys the heck out of the car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
The fuel system was not designed to survive E85. Running it on occasion at the track wont be too much trouble but running it as a daily fuel will QUICKLY deteriorate every polymer seal and surface in your fuel system. Stand by for serious problems that will cost you tons of money out of YOUR pocket and not GM's. Excessive ethanol causes standard HSBN polymers to almost melt so GM won't have a problem seeing what the actual problem was that caused the damage when your injectors are plugged up with rubber and the fuel lines fall apart in their hands as well as a fuel pump that has no seals left.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
Gone to the bowtie side
Former Ford man

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 1SS, NPP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
The fuel system was not designed to survive E85. Running it on occasion at the track wont be too much trouble but running it as a daily fuel will QUICKLY deteriorate every polymer seal and surface in your fuel system. Stand by for serious problems that will cost you tons of money out of YOUR pocket and not GM's. Excessive ethanol causes standard HSBN polymers to almost melt so GM won't have a problem seeing what the actual problem was that caused the damage when your injectors are plugged up with rubber and the fuel lines fall apart in their hands as well as a fuel pump that has no seals left.
My dad was running a stock car in the early 80s and was having troubles with clogging fuel lines. It looked like someone had squirted silicone sealant into his gas tank. They diagnosed it as the new ethanol blends that were first showing up. I imagine you would get the same effect with E85.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
2000 - 08 Sep 09
3300 - TPW 28 Sep 09
3400 - 28 Sep 09
3800 - VIN 2G1FT1EW9A9153318
5000 - 21 Oct 09
6000 - 22 Oct 09
traded in for 2016 Camaro
Gone to the bowtie side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
Buford

Drives: G8
What is the highest horsepower Camaro on here running E85 through ZL1 pump?

I made 576rwhp no problem. But I just did a cam swap /DOD delete on my G8 and I cant find anyone who has done this before.

I did order a BAP just in case but wanted some first hand info before we lean into her
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Bcruse84

Drives: 2013 red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It may have only cost you $315, but how much is a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty worth. Cause now that is gone.
Warranty is over rated. I gave mine up 2 days after buying the car. Blew a head gasket tonight at 1980 miles. Now I get to go internal with my build sooner than I wanted. Btw 18 pounds of boost is too much for stock head gaskets.
Bcruse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Buford

Drives: G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
What is the highest horsepower Camaro on here running E85 through ZL1 pump?

I made 576rwhp no problem. But I just did a cam swap /DOD delete on my G8 and I cant find anyone who has done this before.

I did order a BAP just in case but wanted some first hand info before we lean into her
Anyone?
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The tuner will be able to tell you if the fuel system is maxed out for the power level the engine is at. AFR and injector duty cycle will tell the story.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
Anyone?
We are the highest so far.... But we did it right!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcruse84 View Post
Warranty is over rated. I gave mine up 2 days after buying the car. Blew a head gasket tonight at 1980 miles. Now I get to go internal with my build sooner than I wanted. Btw 18 pounds of boost is too much for stock head gaskets.

We need to party.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote