Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
keegan

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro Black
planning on getting ipf just a few q's though.

Next summer I'm planning on getting an IPF supercharger for my 2012 v6 camaro. I have a few questions though. Is IPF the best choice or is their something better? Are fuel upgrades needed? What supporting upgrades are necessary? and where is the place to get the best tuning in Metro Detroit? thanks for the help.

MODS
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust
-HOOD SPEARS
-WINDOW TINTS
-TAILIGHT/SIDEMARKER TINTS
-POWDER COATED RIMS
-RED CALIPERS
-2 12" TYPE R SUBWOOFERS
-BLACK BOWTIES

Last edited by keegan; 08-22-2012 at 03:13 PM.
keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegan View Post
Next summer I'm planning on getting an IPF supercharger for my 2012 v6 camaro. I have a few questions though. Is IPF the best choice or is their something better? Are fuel upgrades needed? What supporting upgrades are necessary? and where is the place to get the best in Metro Detroit? thanks for the help.
Well if you're def going to go with a super charger your only other option is Rx. Both systems use the same Vortech V3 centri super charger and are running very similar times (no surprise there).

The IPF system has shown to be a very solid system and great if you just want to use the stock set up making ~5-6 psi of boost. One of the things that the Rx system has going for it is the ability to change out the pulley size making double the boost (~10 psi). Now with all of that being said, if you're waiting until next summer I'm sure there will be more options on the market.

If you have an auto it would be a good idea to upgrade your rear diff.

Fuel upgrades are not needed if you're on the stock pulley, but if you up the boost then yes you will need to do something to aid the fuel system. Currently we're still in that "testing phase."
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
keegan

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Well if you're def going to go with a super charger your only other option is Rx. Both systems use the same Vortech V3 centri super charger and are running very similar times (no surprise there).

The IPF system has shown to be a very solid system and great if you just want to use the stock set up making ~5-6 psi of boost. One of the things that the Rx system has going for it is the ability to change out the pulley size making double the boost (~10 psi). Now with all of that being said, if you're waiting until next summer I'm sure there will be more options on the market.

If you have an auto it would be a good idea to upgrade your rear diff.

Fuel upgrades are not needed if you're on the stock pulley, but if you up the boost then yes you will need to do something to aid the fuel system. Currently we're still in that "testing phase."
thanks for the help and i love the look of your camaro

MODS
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust
-HOOD SPEARS
-WINDOW TINTS
-TAILIGHT/SIDEMARKER TINTS
-POWDER COATED RIMS
-RED CALIPERS
-2 12" TYPE R SUBWOOFERS
-BLACK BOWTIES
keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
IPF-Tuning

Drives: Camaro, CTS-V, Escalade, GMC Sierra
IPF is providing 7 LBS of boost at 7,200 RPM and we have options for changing Pulley's as well. The reason we are at 7PSI is we feel that is a safe number to push through this motor from a reliability stand point and for the stock motor only running 91-93 Oct. If you want to go with a Forged Motor we can safely add more HP.

I also have optional Tunes to make more Power with Headers, HF Cats with the IPF SC Kit installed and we are seeing over 400 HP to the rear wheels. And if you want to run race gas, we can push more boost through the engine. We are just restricted with what the motor can do without fueling issues with the Octane available to most of us which is 91-93. There is no fuel upgrades, IPF does it with the Tune.

Thanks,

Jesse!

Last edited by IPF-Tuning; 08-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.
IPF-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF-Tuning View Post
IPF is providing 7 LBS of boost at 7,200 RPM and we have options for changing Pulley's as well. The reason we are at 7PSI is we feel that is a safe number to push through this motor from a reliability stand point for the stock motor. If you want to go with a Forged Motor we can safely add more HP.

I also have optional Tunes to make more Power with Headers, HF Cats with the IPF SC Kit installed and we are seeing over 400 HP to the rear wheels.

Thanks,

Jesse!
Interesting I didn't know the IPF set up made 7 psi of boost, does it peak at 7 fairly quickly? The reason I ask is right around 7 (maybe 8) psi of boost is when the fuel system started to fail on my set up. If you guys have optional pulley's (which is pretty sweet) have you guys actually tested it out yet making more boost? If so what have you guys done for the fuel system, since that seems to be the big hurdle for us.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Interesting I didn't know the IPF set up made 7 psi of boost, does it peak at 7 fairly quickly? The reason I ask is right around 7 (maybe 8) psi of boost is when the fuel system started to fail on my set up. If you guys have optional pulley's (which is pretty sweet) have you guys actually tested it out yet making more boost? If so what have you guys done for the fuel system, since that seems to be the big hurdle for us.
Also very interested in a solution
Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Next summer I'm planning on getting an IPF supercharger for my 2012 v6 camaro. I have a few questions though. Is IPF the best choice or is their something better? Are fuel upgrades needed? What supporting upgrades are necessary? and where is the place to get the best tuning in Metro Detroit? thanks for the help.
Keegan if you enjoy modding and tinkering around with your car then I'd recommend the RX kit. It's almost like they have endless options and add ons i.e. stock, 8#, 10# pulleys - hi pressure fuel pumps, meth kits, Super Chiller. If you want a set it and forget it SC kit then go with IPF. So far their kit has posted higher Dyno numbers but RX kit has the fastest E.T. and trap speed. It's all very close.

The look of each is quite different. RX kit looks more hot rod, custom and IPF has a cleaner almost factory look to it. They do offer polished head units, both aluminum and reinforced silicone tubing which they do offer in several different colors. There's also other proprietary differences as well but you will have to discuss those with the respective vendors.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I'm sure both companies will work with you to suit your needs, in fact I know they will. Do yourself a favor and call each and discuss you wants and needs. I have talked to both and they are very helpful and knowledgable on both systems. I am going with one because it suits my needs at the right price. Unfortunately discussing this subject here usually results in mud slinging.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Don't know of anyone doing any actual tuning of the V6 Camaros in the Detroit Metro area.... Most likely they would need to be willing to do some remote tuning...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
iceman5730
Iceman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT SC/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Don't know of anyone doing any actual tuning of the V6 Camaros in the Detroit Metro area.... Most likely they would need to be willing to do some remote tuning...

IPF can do remote tuning they had done that with my install thru Mertin GM who did the install. You will be very happy if you decide to get one
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Rx is also remote tuning.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Forget those SC kits. Get you some twins, it beats both kits at 6psi's lmao!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
I've seen several of these cars and read the build threads, even driven one. Two great vendors. I think it just depends on your knowledge, what your goal is for power and how "handy" you are. I am NOT a mechanic or very knowledgeable about FI. I have had a supercharged car in the past and decided this was the only way I wanted to go. I want the packaged product without a lot of add ons that might cause me to modify other internals. I will eventually be doing a supercharger, just getting my ducks in a row.............and money in the bank!

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
matt6589

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
What suspension upgrades would those with these kits suggest are necessary once installing the sc? And for those with a manual, is a clutch upgrade necessary as well?
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipf supercharger help