Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Dry, Brown Film on Tires

Guys,

My tires have this brown "film" on them....I'm sure from tire dressing. Just washed the car and I sprayed Adam's All Purpose Cleaner on the tires and scrubbed them with a stiff hand brush. Some came off in the rinse (may have been just dirt), but I still have a dirty lookin' tire.

Any tips/products to get this stuff off? Thanks.......

CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You can use steel wool to get it off.

What were you using that caused that? So we can all stay away from it.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Did you spray some sort of wheel cleaner on before you saw the brown stuff? Stuff like Purple Power and other hardcore degreasers will have that effect on tires.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
My favorite product for tire cleaning is Bleech-White. It was made by a company called Westley's forever but I think they sold out to Eagle1 or some company like that. Really good stuff. I've been using it since Camaro's had white letter tires.
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You can use steel wool to get it off.

What were you using that caused that? So we can all stay away from it.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm thinking steel wool is not the answer. Have you ever rubbed rubber with steel wool?

As for what I used, I've used a variety of tire dressings....but I mainly use Adam's VRT. Being 1000 degrees in Houston, I haven't washed my car in a while...so I don't remember what I used last time I dressed the tires. But whatever it was (if it wasn't VRT)...it was a leading brand - like Meguiar's or Mothers.

I've used Bleech-White in the past....maybe I'll give that a shot.

Any more advice (esp. from Dylan) would be appreciated....

Funny thing is....it's only on my rear tires. Front tires look fine.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
The rubber on your tire in it contains an ingredient they called Antiozonant. It's an ingredient that helps your tire to prevent the exterior rubber surface from cracking, checking, oxidizing, and deteriorating from the manufacturer. This rubber is designed in in a way as to constantly work its way to the outside of your tire. After the antiozonant works its way to the outside of your tire and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. I think the technical term for this type of effect called Blooming? This is why you see a brown film on the surface your tires. You can wash your tires with car soap or an all-purpose cleaner and remove it, but in a short few weeks, it's back again. That's because the antiozonant will continually work its way to the outside part of your tire every time you drive your car around. So before applying a tire dressing you really need to do a thorough wash of the outer surface of the tire to remove any of the antiozonants on the surface also as well as any previously applied tire dressing and this will prepare your tire to accept a fresh application of tire dressing. Hopes this answer your question OP and I myself have been using ARO in cleaning my tires and dressing them with Blackfire Tire Dressing and had not any problems for years.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Awesome.... thanks for the info!

I know a coat of tire dressing would make it disappear....just was curious about the cause and how to handle it.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I'm thinking steel wool is not the answer. Have you ever rubbed rubber with steel wool?

As for what I used, I've used a variety of tire dressings....but I mainly use Adam's VRT. Being 1000 degrees in Houston, I haven't washed my car in a while...so I don't remember what I used last time I dressed the tires. But whatever it was (if it wasn't VRT)...it was a leading brand - like Meguiar's or Mothers.

I've used Bleech-White in the past....maybe I'll give that a shot.

Any more advice (esp. from Dylan) would be appreciated....

Funny thing is....it's only on my rear tires. Front tires look fine.
Yeah actually it's the only way to get that Turtle wax crap off of rubber. That's what it looked like you had, low grade build up. And Dylan (the guy you want advice from) is the one who mentioned it. Facepalm back atcha

*In life, there are no nandroids*