Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
man I hope this thing can be lowered

Sits way to high in my opinion. But wonder how the MR gets affected if someone decided to lower the car an inch?

Also, any modified SS owners going to miss their sound once they get the Zl1?

I know it sounds decent for a stock car but I dont think it compares to a SS with headers and exhaust... And Im willing to bet its going to take a while for a company to develop something for the zl1.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
DCEPTCN
Smasher Devourer

Drives: 2010 1SS, 1983 T Type Limited
Saw the thread title and thought it was about the price.
1987 Grand National, modded...sold
DCEPTCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
toilets

lol, yeah I think its going to hurt a little bit!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
payne.jeremy82

Drives: 2002 Lifted Trailblazer
I hope it can be lowered as well so i can install the Hotchkis Race Pack which comes with 1" springs
payne.jeremy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
[QUOTE=toilets;3863528]Sits way to high in my opinion. But wonder how the MR gets affected if someone decided to lower the car an inch?

I thought i read somewhere it will be 1 1/2" lower than SS?
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
I would not bet on being able to lower this car due the magnetic susspension. If you want to lower it than you better buy a regular ss
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
See the post by Nineball with regards to lowering a MR equipped car. He did so on his CTS-V and it looks bad ass.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
payne.jeremy82

Drives: 2002 Lifted Trailblazer
If thenew mag ride is based on the ctsv suspension only better it will have an input sensor with a rod attached to one of the control arms a i think if someone can do some mesurements before and after and shorten the input rod to match the drop then they can get the suspension back to zero and it shouldnt effect the mag ride at all but I am just shooting guesses here I have been looking closely at pictures but as of yet have not been able to see if it is a similar setup i guess i will have to wait til mine gets here to see
payne.jeremy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Joe View Post

I thought i read somewhere it will be 1 1/2" lower than SS?
The suspension is lowered 7 mm from the SS...and we calculated that the tires are 3/4" shorter...which makes for about a 1/2 - 5/8" overall drop...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Sits way to high in my opinion. But wonder how the MR gets affected if someone decided to lower the car an inch?

Also, any modified SS owners going to miss their sound once they get the Zl1?

I know it sounds decent for a stock car but I dont think it compares to a SS with headers and exhaust... And Im willing to bet its going to take a while for a company to develop something for the zl1.
LOL, how much lower do you want? Looks like eye level with a crocodile now.

Name:  Blue ZL1.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  332.7 KB
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
toilets

I have pedders coilovers and sit 1 1/2 inch lower than SS stock.. so I guess that is not too bad based on the calculations I see. Looks to be a little less than a inch taller than where I sit now...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne.jeremy82 View Post
If thenew mag ride is based on the ctsv suspension only better it will have an input sensor with a rod attached to one of the control arms a i think if someone can do some mesurements before and after and shorten the input rod to match the drop then they can get the suspension back to zero and it shouldnt effect the mag ride at all but I am just shooting guesses here I have been looking closely at pictures but as of yet have not been able to see if it is a similar setup i guess i will have to wait til mine gets here to see
The Mag ride is simply a function of the new type of fluid inside the shocks, of which the viscosity can be varied with an electrical charge.

Whether the car has ride height control is a seperate matter entirely.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
LOL, how much lower do you want? Looks like eye level with a crocodile now.

Attachment 295764
Hell Yeah BiggFoot......... that is the best analogy of how that pic looks that anyone could ever have thought of!! Terrific........... could be the basis for a commercial! Show the croc and the ZL1 in a faceoff........... of course with the croc in retreat!! Love it!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne.jeremy82 View Post
Just think about it… physically lowering the car but essentially ‘tricking’ the car to think it is still riding at the original height by modifying the potentiometer. That would be like making the steering wheel look straight when the wheels are turned 1” to the left, making the throttle petal stop at 80% when it hits the floor, or changing your brake pedal so that you press it for an inch before anything happens. Now get in that car and do a lap time.

The suspension geometry acts differently at different ride heights. So now the MR shocks are flying blind so to speak. Add a changed spring rate on top of that and you throw another wrench into the system. With the steering wheel, throttle, and brake example above you have the ability to compensate and get used to these things and could eventually drive the car well. The MR suspension has to do what it is told, what its programming is.

Normally for the suspension to be compressed 1” the car has to be under some heavy load, in a turn, going over a large bump or curb… Now you are riding there all the time because you are lowered but the MR suspension doesn’t know that.

The MR suspension will still ‘work’ but won’t be tuned properly IMO. It can’t be because you are feeding it the wrong information. You might not even notice this unless you are on a track, or you might actually notice subtle changes in ride characteristics on the street because the proper ‘corrections’ can’t be made.

Lowering a car with a normal damper doesn’t matter because the damper has the same characteristics regardless of ride height. The MR damper characteristics vary depending on multiple factors, one of them being ride height. If you ask what X+Y+Z is with Z = 1; Y = 2; X =3 and now you change Z to 4 but don’t tell anyone everyone will be wrong even if they think they are right.

Maybe someone can design a system that mechanically corrects for these changes, not just ‘tricks’ the system. Maybe the MR dampers can be reprogrammed. If they can’t….

IMO ff they took it to the ring after just making this one ride height change you would probably see the car wasn’t as good anymore. You might not even be able to place a finger on it, but it wouldn’t handle as well. It might run a 7:45, or a 7:50, or a 7:59, or who knows. If you want to lower it for looks that’s great, but I’d ask myself if it was worth it. On a car like this I personally don’t think it is.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote