Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #127
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
No not in jail or out riding..............before they went on the driviability test they found a LEAK. It was the water pump, something about a casting irregularity.

Since the water pump was chrome and not some normal everyday Chevy water pump they had to have the face/mounting surface machined smooth. The comapny that made it agreed to replace it once they received the old one back, so instead of waiting a week to get one they fixed the surface and re-installed it, got it hot and have no leaks on the motor.

Since wonderful Hurricane Lee has blessed us with its presence and dropped ALOT of rain in our area, they wanted to wait to do the drivability test. I guess they really didn't want to spend a bunch of time having to clean the undercarriage from driving in the rain, especially since I told them I wasn't real keen of having it drove in the rain. Problem is that rain is scheduled all week around here.

I am sure they want this gone as bad as I want it because it is taking up alot of room in their shop. Their assembly area is enough for 2 cars to be assembled and right now my truck is the only one in that area because they want to make sure it gets no scratches etc........

The inspectors contacted me on Friday to let me know what was going on and what was left to do. Besides the water pump( Which has been fixed by now) the only real thing left was the carpet and bolt in the seats.....The inspector said that he was told that they wanted to put 100 miles on it to ensure everything was correct, have DMV inspect it and then clean it up one last time.

I agreed to let them finish the truck and not penalize them for the delay since it was a mechanical issue.

My thoughts are that I would rather them get it hot, drive it around for a little bit and make sure EVERYTHING works properly. Sure I could hold their feet to the fire and could have had the truck picked up on Friday, BUT then I would have the issue of trying to get it fixed if something else was wrong etc........ Since he is being held responsible for warranty, and safety the inspector thought it was a good idea to let them fix the minor issues and make sure everything else is correct.

Was it a ploy for the shop to have more time? I have no idea. But they know that the inspectors will be back this week and the ole water pump is leaking excuse won't fly anymore.......So we will see.

It is ironic that this thread is in Camaro 5 and the waiting issue has been the issue, kinda like when we were all first waiting on our Camaro's to arrive.......
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #128
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
It is ironic that this thread is in Camaro 5 and the waiting issue has been the issue, kinda like when we were all first waiting on our Camaro's to arrive.......
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #129
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Great minds think alike......

Well the water ppump issue has been fixed. They texted me a 6 second video of the motor running.....Couldn't really tell a whole lot except a motor was running...real poor quality.

Of course we have drizzels today so no going to the exhaust and alignment shop today. The plan is for that to happen tomorrow when the weather is supposed to get better and do the drivability test on Friday. They want to put about 100 miles on it to test it out, make sure nothing else is wrong with it.

After that then they will install the interior, button up the stereo and let the paint and body guy have it. He has to paint the rear roll pan, the grille lettering, the side emblems and horn button accents plus any touch ups that are needed then BUFF the entire truck AGAIN.

I have never seen a vehivle that has been buffed this much. The final buffing and cleaning will take about three days or so...........I guess that is faster than I would do it. Claying, buffing and polishing is definitely a slow job if done right, or at least it is when I do it, LOL

I guess they took to heart the last time I saw it and put blue painter tape on places I didn't like, every piece was warranted but they were like WTF, How did you see that?

So basically from what I gather after Friday it SHOULD take a week to finish up, but I am not holding my breath. It is comforting to know that they are working on it steadily and DAILY....... I know I am really anxious to get it but do not want the final product rushed at this point cause now all the pretty stuff gets done and polished up especially with the money I have in this thing.

So the saga continues.........hopefully for only 1 more week.

I
Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #130
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Man, that's all great news! Won't be long now.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #131
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Man, that's all great news! Won't be long now.
Yeah it is, trying not to get excited because I have been down this road before with them. It seems like they conned the inspector, lol, as well and have gained some extra time...............The only good thing about that is they can only pass the buck and make up things for so long and the inspector will see through the BS.

Since it now runs, the major things have been done and only minor things are left besides the few items that need to be painted. I think they know it will not take long or much time to finish it and are kinda dragging their feet, making excuses on weather, water pumps etc...... but I hope you are right and MAYBE just maybe it will not be long now.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #132
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Exhaust is going on now.......Going with a real simple exhaust...have a set of Flowmasters that I bought years ago, don't even recall what chamber they are but I am having them bascially turn the exhaust out in front of the rear tires so it shouldn't be bad and should have some good sound to it. Later on once I get it home I can do some research on a good exhaust , maybe with an x-pipe, and have time to really look at some option.

After that then it goes to the alignment shop, which really should take much time at all. So hopefully all that willbe done today and will be driving and testing tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #133
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Ok for some new updates....... Friday the exhaust and alignment was finished up and driven for a very short time.

Some issues showed themselves during the short drive.....supposedly all minor issues like speedometer didn't work......probably an un-hooked wire.

All the minor issues are supposed to be corrected by Tuesday and then they are going to drive it for a couple of hundred miles to ensure that everything works, then send it for the touch ups and buffing.

So I am thinking Sept 23rd but I have been wrong before........
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #134
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
At the very least you know that progress is being made. Good luck!
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #135
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Talked with the shop last night and most of the initial minor issues have been fixed. They are going to go over the entire truck this morning, check every bolt and ensure it is tight and torqued correctly, make sure all the fluids are topped off and I guess just check the whole things out before they go on a little road trip.

Supposedly they are going to drive it about 25 or 30 miles this afternoon, come back and check everything again to ensure it is tight, that there are no leaks and that everything works like it should, then go drive it again for more miles. They told me they wanted to put a couple of hundred miles on it just to make sure.

Although I really want it done NOW, I do understand the liability if something goes wrong at 70 mph and the consequences if something major happens at speed. So I guess it is a good thing that they are being diligent in checking and re-checking everything multiple times even though I am being impatient.

Talked to the inspectors concerning these delays and my options. They both seem to be in agreement that it is better to ensure it is absolutely correct before I get it because too many dangers could erupt if something is missed or fails. Progress is being made daily and they understand what is being done at this point and the reasons they are being done so I kinda have to go with what they are saying at this point..........HOPEFully from what I was told that by next Friday it should be completed unless some major issues arise after the couple of hundred miles that they put on it.......So we will see.

I am hoping and thinking that Good parts were bought and appear to be installed correctly but as with anything when you change the entire drivetrain and associated parts the chance of failure is always there.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #136
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Friday Update..... Yesterday was a rainy day around here so no miles were put on it...( Today is better, no rain).

A little irratated today...come to find out alot of the things I bought years ago did not come with all the parts needed to complete certain areas.

I had bought a new polished aluminum dash panel and new gauges. Well come to find out the kit did not come with the turn signal and high beam indicator LED's. They are only 12.50 but jeez come on.

I had also bought a completely brand new metal bed for the truck. Now only at the last stages I find out that the rear fender braces were not included in the bed....Of course they are only 12.95 a set of three and I need 2 sets, one for each side, but the problem is not the money it is the availablity of these pieces.

Of course I ordered both of the needed parts and they will be here early next week but it just delays the completion . Don't really know whom to be upset with, the supplier or the builder.

You would figure that when you buy something " Complete" that it would come complete with EVERYTHING needed.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #137
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Friday Update..... Yesterday was a rainy day around here so no miles were put on it...( Today is better, no rain).

A little irratated today...come to find out alot of the things I bought years ago did not come with all the parts needed to complete certain areas.

I had bought a new polished aluminum dash panel and new gauges. Well come to find out the kit did not come with the turn signal and high beam indicator LED's. They are only 12.50 but jeez come on.

I had also bought a completely brand new metal bed for the truck. Now only at the last stages I find out that the rear fender braces were not included in the bed....Of course they are only 12.95 a set of three and I need 2 sets, one for each side, but the problem is not the money it is the availablity of these pieces.

Of course I ordered both of the needed parts and they will be here early next week but it just delays the completion . Don't really know whom to be upset with, the supplier or the builder.

You would figure that when you buy something " Complete" that it would come complete with EVERYTHING needed.
My car was supposed to be in the shop for 2 weeks this spring. It took them almost 3 months to do the work for similar reasons. They had to wait for parts at each step along the way. It's better to have it right in the end.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #138
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
It's better to have it right in the end.
That's what she sa .................... nvmd.

So far I've been realy careful to make sure I have everything I need before I start on a project OR that the parts I might need can be gathered fairly quickly.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #139
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Oh you are right but it is just kinda frustrating after all this time to be waiting on some LED lights and a few fender braces. I know there is alot that goes into it, an extremely amount of liability placed on the shops shoulders and the fact of getting things right the first time.

Since there is no rain today they will be taking it out for some miles to ensure things are working correctly.

Kinda funny though...they were working on the motor and breaking it in, trying to get the computer to learn the new system it had and all of a sudden it just quit running, like you hit the switch. They spent about 2 hours checking everything to ensure it was connected, ensuring that something wasn't loose etc.... only to find out that it was simply out of gas. You have to laugh at those stuations.

Supposedly they are going to run it a little while this afternoon, put some stress on the motor, tranny, rear end etc.... kind of get the motor rpms up.....change the oil again and then tomorrow put some miles on it at highway speeds. They really don't want to flog it till the rear fender braces get put on in case it flexes them a little...I can understand that because at this point it is easier to wait than take a chance of messing up a body panel.

These little delays are making the unltimate finish date to keep getting pushed back. They did tell me that once I get it that I have to bring it back after 1500 miles and have it checked. Said it would take a week. They are gonna re-check every nut, bolt connection on the truck to ensure that all items are right.

On a side note I really don't think I understood all that goes into something like this. I see it as a 63 Chevy Pickup, but once you change the entire drivetrain, electrical system, running gear and massage every body panel I guess it is to be expected that delays occur. After having been through this process I laugh now when I see ads for classic vehicle that say " Restored". They have no clue about restoring especially when you look at the pictures of the vehicle.

I liken this truck to Speedster's car, even though his is way more techinically advanced than mine, I think the process is still the same.

Side Note # 2..... I was playing on the net and e-mailed a couple of magazine editors about my old truck. They requested pictures, so I sent them some of the ones I had. A couple of them were intersted in putting my truck in their mags, so that is kinda cool. Now just have to get it back, LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #140
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Kinda funny though...they were working on the motor and breaking it in, trying to get the computer to learn the new system it had and all of a sudden it just quit running, like you hit the switch. They spent about 2 hours checking everything to ensure it was connected, ensuring that something wasn't loose etc.... only to find out that it was simply out of gas. You have to laugh at those stuations.
I've done shit like that so many times I can't even count. I sat in my Camaro a few weeks ago wondering why the heck it wouldn't go into gear and even took the shifter off to see if it was engaging the safety like it is supposed to.

After about 10 minutes of this I realized I had started my car with the remote start, and got in but forgot to put the key in the ignition.

Quote:
Side Note # 2..... I was playing on the net and e-mailed a couple of magazine editors about my old truck. They requested pictures, so I sent them some of the ones I had. A couple of them were intersted in putting my truck in their mags, so that is kinda cool. Now just have to get it back, LOL
At the rate your truck has been progressing it'll be featured before it's actually done.