Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #29
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
Pretty sure vettes sit lower with all the same characterstics and dont have this problem. So do porches, astons, and many other cars.

Honestly, if you dont think theres a possibility it COULD be the paint process, your just flaming.
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #30
cactuseater

Drives: .
Pretty much agreed. I'd NEVER drive an SS in the snow, or on loose gravel, etc. It's simply not made for it. Kind of a no brainer there. I have never seen a Corvette in the snow, nor an exotic. As 1BADLS said, the manufacturer would have to put a lot of garbage on the car and you'd wind up with a peacock rather than a clean look of the new Camaro. Thankfully, I do not live in that environment. Moved out of snow and salt 15 years ago. It was a challenge to keep my trucks looking new in that crap. One reason I traded up every 2 years or so, just was a losing battle all the time. I know folks that garage these cars and bring out the beater for the harsher weather....or select trips on rough roads. However some cannot afford that, and thus it's a hard nut -- it's going to get road rash at the minimum.

As for the actual paint issue -- in the event stated earlier, kudos to getting that car fixed. I went out and did a REALLY close look at mine after reading that. Thankfully it's smooth as glass with no gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Think about it, guys...

You're driving a car that's lower to the ground than most cars. It's also got larger wheels than most cars. The ratio of the wheel opening to the tire size is smaller. More style, angles and curves. Less black plastic cladding for a clean look. Tires reaching to the edge of the fenders, and those tires are like death star rock slingers because they're so dang sticky.

This isn't a Camry, or some crappy Mustang with black plastic rockers, and it's not an economy car with narrow, hard rubber tires.

Have you ever seen the rock chips on a racecar? Even after somewhat light usage, say, a small vintage car set up for race will look like the bottom half has been sandblasted off, and everything else is rock-dinged and chipped.

Don't want chips? Get a lift kit, and buy the cheapest, hard-rubber compound tires that you can buy. Put them on narrower wheels (also give up handling and traction), and then buy a gigantic set of mudflaps for the front and rear. You know, like a Subaru has. Or one of those big trucks--with the chrome lounging lady just flapping in the wind.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #31
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Paint on the camaro sucks and GM doesn't care...cant do anything about it. My dads daily driver 10 year old camry had less paint chips then my camaro before I sold it.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #32
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
same problem here... looks disgusting
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I don't see how if the Camaro is lower to the ground and flares out in certain spots that GM didn't know about a possible issue with severe paint chipping and take measures to protect against the issue. The splash guards do help. Those could have come factory installed instead of an add-on item. A thicker layer of clear coat would have helped as well. I think it's a reasonable assumption that a year old car's paint finish shouldn't look like it's been sandblasted from casual driving on normally paved streets and highways. The defense that the vehicle sits lower to the ground and curves and flares out is ridiculous and amazingly short-sighted. If those areas are highly susceptible to damage then they should have been protected coming out of the factory. It was either a calculated cost-savings measure or they were completely clueless to the issue and are burying their head in the sand not wanting to deal with it.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #34
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Wow! And I was upset about the 5 or so chips I have in that area. That really sucks... I just can't put the splash guards on. I wanted to do them in just the front but in all honesty it does take away from the sports car look.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
DCEPTCN
Smasher Devourer

Drives: 2010 1SS, 1983 T Type Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
These cars are not Pre Madonna's,
They're definitely post-Tiffany.
1987 Grand National, modded...sold
DCEPTCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #36
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I traded in my 2010 2LT for an SS recently. I had no paint chips in the gill area whatsoever. I did have splash guards installed just before its first winter, but in 6 mos of driving without them there were no chips. Must not be a global issue.

If your Camaro is a DD I recommend the guards. To each is own but in my opinion they do not detract from the look of the car at all. I have them on my SS now.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #37
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
TrailBlazers are especially known for this problem. The rear quarters before the openings flare out, and with daily driving they are a direct target of flying rocks and debris kicked up from the front tires and also from airborne travel. Try to do a research to see if there was a technical bulletin put out for this problem. In any event, I would suggest that you call chevy customer service and start a case with your problem. Dealers can be stubborn with paint problems, so try to stay calm and pursue this issue.

Good luck.

In the future when you get these areas fixed, look up some paint protection alternatives such as 3m and others.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #38
67for/me

Drives: 1967 Camaro
I think it’s a problem that Chevrolet needs to address. My car is one your old this month. I do freeway driving and some city.. The front of my car is completely covered in chips. I would say about every 3 inches there is a chip. In comparison we have a 1996 Nissan Maxima with 130,000 miles on it we have driven that car to California every summer and on mountain dirt roads. And front of that car has countable chips.
Yes I did not get a clear bra, totally my fault .But Chevrolet should install factory clear bras moving forward, and or repaint the front of our cars and install clear bras. It’s the water based paints on plastic that is the problem..

67for/me
67for/me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Looks like a job for Dr Colorghip.

Trust me, it works very well. It's not a 100% perfect solution, but it hides small stone chips like what you have very nicely.

Your problem looks bad enough that it will likely just happen again, so I would get a clear bra afterwards.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #40
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
What good will a repaint do? It will just chip-out again. It's part of the car, just drive it like you stole it! Mine has about 20 cigarette burns in the leather seat, but you can't see them when your sitting in it.
HAHAHA...thank god I finally quit smoking right before I got my 2SS. I smoked for 20 years and stumbled onto Chantix. I think I would've cried if I burned my leather seats Dude, I feel sorry for ya. Go get Chantix before your next car.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #41
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
These cars are not Pre Madonna's, they are meant to be driven and driven hard.
I agree with you 101% I keep an average mpg of around 11 and I'm proud of it I drive my car and I'm not fixated on rubbing it down after every drive. With that said, I still have some standards regarding durability.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #42
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
When I purchased my Trailblazer SS this was an issue I was aware of from a co-worker that bought one before me. Before picking it up from the dealer they applied the clear paint guard to the chip prone areas. There was TSB out about it so it was applied as soon as I mentioned that I was aware of the problem. GM should do this for the camaro also.