Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #141
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I have no doubt about Rice Rockets as we use to call them and trust me the ones around here are fast.

I guess I am just trying to get as much information on TT and S/C before and if I make a decision to do this. Like I posted earlier I am pushing around 450 RWHP now and was told that I could safely add another 140 rwhp with a S/C or more depending on the pulley that is put on.

I am sure both choices are great for certain applications. I am just trying to find out any " Other " things that need to be done , things that should be done, and things that are a good idea to be done, especially since I will have to go a minimum of about 3 hours to a shop to do this install, so if I need a catch can, pick poka dots or whatever I can have it done in one trip and can make sure all the parts are in stock when I go.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #142
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
This thread has been very helpful in my decision making process in regards to what Forced Induction I would like to go with and what would be the best for my application. The next hurdle for me is determining whether a Centri S/C or Twin Turbos would better fit a car that is going to be on a road course (hopefully quite a few times a year). I know with any of them I am going to probably be at around 600RWHP and where the power is under the curve and when it hits and falls off will be different with all of them and I'll have perma-grin regardless of which way I go.

I already have a CAI and Long Tubes so I know Twins would cause me to have to rip and replace that stuff, even the Centri would be having me putting the CAI up for sale. I am leaning heavily towards the Centri right now and there are a few options out there for them and with more PD options coming out I won't be short on any option there.

The good thing for me is, I HAVE NO MONEY RIGHT NOW , so I have time to see how all the options play out and other folks experiences.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #143
tsears

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Too much talk about Turbos laging - even if you think it helps the tires hook - they don't lag - Like I keep saying use the power wisely - Leave at 100% and then taper back until you get a bit and ease into
Hey Jo I guess I'll be adding a catch can to my list as well
tsears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #144
JClay

Drives: Unknown
So if TT is more "friendly" at the crank does that mean it has better fuel efficiency than a SC?
JClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #145
Blkcamaro757

Drives: 2010 camaro RS SS 6speed
Click on the link and watch. It explains pros and cons.

Blkcamaro757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #146
Blkcamaro757

Here is something more broken down with how eveything works.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #147
JClay

Drives: Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkcamaro757 View Post
Click on the link and watch. It explains pros and cons.

Thanks man those videos were very informative
JClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #148
Blkcamaro757

Yep no problem
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #149
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
This thread has been very helpful in my decision making process in regards to what Forced Induction I would like to go with and what would be the best for my application. The next hurdle for me is determining whether a Centri S/C or Twin Turbos would better fit a car that is going to be on a road course (hopefully quite a few times a year). .
I agree both choices are nice but if you want to Kill on a Road Course - Twin turbos far and a way beat the centrifugal - fact not fiction.
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #150
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Here is something more broken down with how eveything works.

Nice video but it claims the PD and twin screw make more power than a centrifugal and I would beg to differ. The video addresses the basics and I mean basic.

After listening to that video I would buy a supercharger - they call turbos dangerous and that is not true - they make it too general

Look at it like this - A centrifugal supercharger is like a belt driven turbo -
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #151
Blkcamaro757

If not tuned right or over boosting. I drove a supercharged and a turbo car and they both were fast. I loved the way the sc wines and I love the way a turbo sound while under boost and also when you left of the gas or to shift. But what gets me everytime is how you feel the turbo building up boost when just driving around town. How ever the sc was on a 98 prelude and the turbo was on a 95 eclispe. So nither can compare to what a v8 feels like. But i always been a turbo fan ever since i drove that eclispe. Before I became a muscle car lover I use to run them import cars. And every import car that had a turbo would always beat out the sc cars. They would put a integra motor into a little hatch back civic and run 12psi of boost and beat everything. I know the zr1 comes sc but if they was to put twin turbos on it it be way to fast LOL. But i rather have better mpg with a turbo, and not have to worry about belts breaking or slipping, or changing pullies. And I always notice turbos have more TQ to the wheels then SC. I'm more of a TQ fan then HP.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #152
Blkcamaro757

Then you hear about turbo lag. But the funny thing is with all this lag people speak of turbos still run good times at the track or on the freeways beat out SC cars. Me personally I love for a turbo to build up boost rather then have full boost at low rpms. The boost build up is the fun part cause it gets you ready for whats coming.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #153
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Then you hear about turbo lag. But the funny thing is with all this lag people speak of turbos still run good times at the track or on the freeways beat out SC cars. Me personally I love for a turbo to build up boost rather then have full boost at low rpms. The boost build up is the fun part cause it gets you ready for whats coming.
i agree ... thats fun aint it !
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #154
Blkcamaro757

Yes it is. And Turbos u dont get bored of cause u have boost controllers.