Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2024, 03:20 PM   #15
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
You really think the lesson learned here is that your buddy had a welded cast wheel? You just incriminated yourself and your two buddies. You think saying I’m in Mexico clears you. Do you really think the police and insurance company don’t investigate? Oh wait this happened when we were coming back and driving slow, lol. Good luck, hope the money you get covers your friends insurance denial.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:40 PM   #16
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
You really think the lesson learned here is that your buddy had a welded cast wheel? You just incriminated yourself and your two buddies. You think saying I’m in Mexico clears you. Do you really think the police and insurance company don’t investigate? Oh wait this happened when we were coming back and driving slow, lol. Good luck, hope the money you get covers your friends insurance denial.
Settle down Richard.....what are you all worked up about?
IndyZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:56 PM   #17
Killakamr6

Drives: 2019 Camaro Zl1 1LE
Quote:
Pdr shows when the accident happened that no one was speeding and the wheel that was fixed failed. So in my mind (the vette insurance goes after the Camaros, the Camaros insurance goes after the shop that “repaired” the wheel.) I would lawyer up and get it done. Also I believe the cops report has some say, he understood we weren’t speeding at the time. Just my thoughts as you have yours as well
Killakamr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #18
Killakamr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZrider View Post
It happens 🤣 Everyone has their own opinion (I’m also nowhere close to being a lawyer)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:02 PM   #19
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killakamr6 View Post
That makes me feel a little better. This must’ve been the bad cast. It was not impressive by any means internally. Like I said we have to be a little more mindful of that here in SC because the roads are awful
Was it the welded wheel that failed though? If so, it wasn't the casting that failed but the weld. Or are you saying the casting failed on the welded wheel but not where the weld was?
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 PM   #20
Killakamr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Was it the welded wheel that failed though? If so, it wasn't the casting that failed but the weld. Or are you saying the casting failed on the welded wheel but not where the weld was?
Yeah the wheel that failed was the repaired wheel a few weeks ago. Definitely not the castings fault, I would blame the repair
Old 05-12-2024, 06:28 PM   #21
Z OH 6

Quote:
Yeah the wheel that failed was the repaired wheel a few weeks ago. Definitely not the castings fault, I would blame the repair
I wouldn't make a blanket statement that all welded wheels are bad either, although I personally wouldn't run one. I know years ago it was very popular to have OEM wheels widened by Weldcraft, they would literally weld in a band of extra barrel to make the wheels wider and lots of people ran these on street cars and even race cars. I don't recall hearing about issues but again, it could be due to the skill and quality of the welding process. Weldcraft has been doing this for decades.

https://weldcraftwheels.com/

Regardless, it was a bad day for everyone involved. Really put a damper on what was probably a good day until that happened.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:37 PM   #22
Killakamr6

Quote:
I wouldn't make a blanket statement that all welded wheels are bad either, although I personally wouldn't run one. I know years ago it was very popular to have OEM wheels widened by Weldcraft, they would literally weld in a band of extra barrel to make the wheels wider and lots of people ran these on street cars and even race cars. I don't recall hearing about issues but again, it could be due to the skill and quality of the welding process. Weldcraft has been doing this for decades.

Regardless, it was a bad day for everyone involved. Really put a damper on what was probably a good day until that happened.
I gotcha,

Yeah definitely not knocking if there’s specialty companies that provide this service, but just simply a local repair shop on cars like these is probably best to avoid. Thanks for your knowledge 🤙

That’s why I love these pages
Old 05-12-2024, 06:45 PM   #23
Killakamr6

Quote:

That company does look legit though 🤙
Old 05-13-2024, 03:27 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
That company does look legit though 🤙
Very legit, they've been in business for decades. LOTS of positive reviews.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:07 AM   #25
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZrider View Post
He's from SoCal, that's all you need to know...
Old 05-13-2024, 08:42 AM   #26
Killakamr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
He's from SoCal, that's all you need to know...
Glad you saw that and said something 🤣
Old 05-13-2024, 09:06 AM   #27
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
A lot of these aftermarket chinesium wheels aren't strong enough to begin with. I'd never have a damaged aftermarket cast/flow formed wheel repaired.

Last edited by GearheadSS; 05-13-2024 at 09:40 AM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:32 AM   #28
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
A lot of these aftermarket chinesium wheels aren't strong enough to being with. I'd never have a damaged aftermarket cast/flow formed wheel repaired.
Yeah, I would do the same, chinesium or not, I don't think I'd ever trust a wheel that was repaired on my high performance track vehicle. Makes no sense.