Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-02-2024, 11:26 AM   #15
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
some of them do have a cloud upload with an sd card backup...ive already had a dash cam save me when a semi rear ended me....he said i brake checked him...nope he straight up hit me on the interstate....i use a blackvue cam...they have battery cutoff protection and sentry mode...very efficient and worth the cost....
IndyZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:22 PM   #16
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
It's not like a Ring camera, that's constantly recording & uploading to the cloud, so it's not really designed to be a theft deterrent. .

There are quite a few that do this. Ring even makes one.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
There are quite a few that do this. Ring even makes one.
Upload to the cloud requires data connectivity. At home, it can use WiFi and it could likely be configured to use your phone as a hotspot as well. Otherwise, you need an LTE package added on.

Ring, as an example, offers an LTE connectivity package for $6/month which includes 2GB of data transfer. On a 4K camera, that would account for about 6-7 minutes of video. On a 2K camera, you would likely get about 30 minutes of video. The cost to stream video constantly would be exorbitant, but the bigger issue is how to keep it powered while the car is parked.

The reality is that these things are good ideas on paper, and the companies will show you "interesting" ways to use them, but they simply are not geared toward being a true theft deterrent because they can get ripped out and tossed on the ground in three seconds then the thief starts the car and takes off with it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #18
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Upload to the cloud requires data connectivity. At home, it can use WiFi and it could likely be configured to use your phone as a hotspot as well. Otherwise, you need an LTE package added on.

Ring, as an example, offers an LTE connectivity package for $6/month which includes 2GB of data transfer. On a 4K camera, that would account for about 6-7 minutes of video. On a 2K camera, you would likely get about 30 minutes of video. The cost to stream video constantly would be exorbitant, but the bigger issue is how to keep it powered while the car is parked.

The reality is that these things are good ideas on paper, and the companies will show you "interesting" ways to use them, but they simply are not geared toward being a true theft deterrent because they can get ripped out and tossed on the ground in three seconds then the thief starts the car and takes off with it.

I didn't say anything about a theft deterrent, I responded to someone else saying they don't upload to the cloud like a Ring camera. Have you used one? I have one from Blackvue and by default it uploads a lower resolution video with a higher resolution saved locally. Regardless, that's a non-issue. Just buy a SIM card + data plan from your favorite provider. They can all connect to wifi too, so whether your car has a built in hot spot or you use a dedicated one like I do then data transfer is a non-issue.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:01 PM   #19
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Almost all of this systems come with either a seperate battery pack (thinkware/blackvue) or some type of hardwire kit with voltage sensing.

Quote:

sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:17 AM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
I didn't say anything about a theft deterrent, I responded to someone else saying they don't upload to the cloud like a Ring camera. Have you used one? I have one from Blackvue and by default it uploads a lower resolution video with a higher resolution saved locally. Regardless, that's a non-issue. Just buy a SIM card + data plan from your favorite provider. They can all connect to wifi too, so whether your car has a built in hot spot or you use a dedicated one like I do then data transfer is a non-issue.
I was specifically calling out the use of "upload to the cloud" as NOT being useful for theft deterrence because that topic has been broached in this thread. You gave even further confirmation of its lack of value for that with the comment about lower resolution video being what gets uploaded.

Resolution on a 4K camera, during the day, is pretty much the bare minimum necessary to be able to pull details like plate numbers. Anything less, and the video is only useful for "entertainment purposes" to watch something back and maybe show others, but you aren't getting details like plate numbers for accident or similar purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
Almost all of this systems come with either a seperate battery pack (thinkware/blackvue) or some type of hardwire kit with voltage sensing.
Whether it's the car battery or a battery pack in the camera, it's doing to draw down / die relatively quickly and the camera is going to shut off.

Any fault in the circuitry of the camera, and the hardwire kits may NOT shut down to protect a car battery... Then you have no camera AND a dead battery that won't start your car. I've been down the road before of electronics items that power circuits fail on and it kills the car battery... in the winter... allowing it to freeze... It isn't a lot of fun (or cheap) dealing with issues like that.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #21
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Fuzion View Post
Is it worth the investment? Like for traffic stops, theft deterrent?
Here is couple stories for you
Dash cam is a must for me and I have on both of my cars installed. I got the one with front and back cameras. Got it after a lady rear ended my wifes car in a parking garage and was telling it was my wife backed up into her car. She was little out of her mind.

A year after some guy ran the red light at the intersection and hit my wifes front end with pretty decent damage. The guy jumped out of the car, started accusing she ran the red light and not him. When I got there he made a huge stink videoing the whole scene yelling and cursing how nasty we are, basically trying to get away with it. I was really calm just waiting for cops to show up and didn't say a word about the dash cam. When cop showed up the guy started bullshitting him as well. When it was my turn I quietly pulled out the camera, gave it to the cop, he pulled up the video on his laptop and it clearly showed he was at fault. The cop told me have a nice day and I left in 5 mins. Should have seen his sad face when I pulled out that dash cam

Second time I had to use it when bunch of dumb kids were throwing big rocks from under the highway ramp which hit the hood of my car and basically ripped it. Couldn't understand where that rock came from until I watched the video.

I have many other instances I had to use it when something happened on the road around me

Best $50 I ever spent. Actually today I'd buy better quality dash cam with more features.

It's not effective for theft at all. Can't run it all the time, it drains the battery
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #22
oldguy0130

Drives: 2021 2SS red-line Camaro
Thank you Ember for the info
oldguy0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #23
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
I went with the Memento M7 Wifi, its a 2k front, 1080 rear dual camera setup with an option to add a 3rd camera for interior views.

It's good enough to show who's at fault and pick up closer (2 car lengths) plates.

It comes with the hardware to hook it to your battery and auto shutoff when the battery gets low (you set your voltage limit), its standby is also a lower drain then others on the market as instead of constantly recording or using camera motion sensing it uses radar to detect motion – reducing battery consumption by up to 90%. Honestly my favorite part is when I turn the car on but before I start it the camera gives me the battery voltage so I can moniter the "health" of my battery unlike the car itself that only shows what the alternator does because it dosent activate the gauges untill the car is running.

The Wifi part of the M7 allows you to download the video to your phone and view it with their app.

If you pull the card you can put it in your computer and with their app also see a google maps view along with other info like speed and direction.

Its pricey at $380 plus the cost of install if you pay to have it done but I couldn't be happier with the final product.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #24
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I guess that can be a problem for people who don't drive their car often and don't connect it to a tender.

I've left my car for weeks at a time while on TAD trips and not had it connected up to a tender and come back and it starts right up.

Camera kit is hard wired, recording 24/7.

Quote:
I was specifically calling out the use of "upload to the cloud" as NOT being useful for theft deterrence because that topic has been broached in this thread. You gave even further confirmation of its lack of value for that with the comment about lower resolution video being what gets uploaded.

Resolution on a 4K camera, during the day, is pretty much the bare minimum necessary to be able to pull details like plate numbers. Anything less, and the video is only useful for "entertainment purposes" to watch something back and maybe show others, but you aren't getting details like plate numbers for accident or similar purposes.

Whether it's the car battery or a battery pack in the camera, it's doing to draw down / die relatively quickly and the camera is going to shut off.

Any fault in the circuitry of the camera, and the hardwire kits may NOT shut down to protect a car battery... Then you have no camera AND a dead battery that won't start your car. I've been down the road before of electronics items that power circuits fail on and it kills the car battery... in the winter... allowing it to freeze... It isn't a lot of fun (or cheap) dealing with issues like that.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote