Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Slight bent wheel?

Hi all, just got new tires put on my car and when they had it on the balancer they noticed the wheel was slightly off in the front; slight bend in the rim. They showed me as well to verify.

Never felt vibration or anything off on the car driving long distances. I think I know were it possibly could be from but it would have happened over 15k miles ago (Almost 3 years).

Should this be replaced immediately? Drove home car felt fine; both a bit city and highway speeds (albeit extremely smooth with the new tires) but rather not put anymore stress on the suspension / wheel components if its going to wear it out faster.

Thanks for any input!
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
A picture might help.
If it balances OK, you are probably fine. If it bent so much it cracked the metal they probably would've told you.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy1LE View Post
Hi all, just got new tires put on my car and when they had it on the balancer they noticed the wheel was slightly off in the front; slight bend in the rim. They showed me as well to verify.

Never felt vibration or anything off on the car driving long distances. I think I know were it possibly could be from but it would have happened over 15k miles ago (Almost 3 years).

Should this be replaced immediately? Drove home car felt fine; both a bit city and highway speeds (albeit extremely smooth with the new tires) but rather not put anymore stress on the suspension / wheel components if its going to wear it out faster.

Thanks for any input!
I track my car a lot and I did bend a wheel on the track, same exact story as you though. I didn't know it was bent until they went to balance it. Shop around local areas for shops that repair wheels, they will make it like new again. No need to purchase a new one. They basically heat the metal and unbend it.

I've even tracked this bent wheel again several times and it has not bent again.

It's also not super expensive, I think I paid like $150 or so.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
A picture might help.
If it balances OK, you are probably fine. If it bent so much it cracked the metal they probably would've told you.
Haha sorry! I should’ve taken a picture! Literally couldn’t tell though unless it was moving on the balancer and ever so slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I track my car a lot and I did bend a wheel on the track, same exact story as you thought. I didn't know it was bent until they went to balance it. Shop around local areas for shops that repair wheels, they will make it like new again. No need to purchase a new one. They basically heat the metal and unbend it.

I've even tracked this bent wheel again several times and it has not bent again.

It's also not super expensive, I think I paid like $150 or so.
This sounds promising! I was like ahh well $700 down the drain. Is this a rush to get done or I can wait a bit? Car is a highway cruiser/ slight 25mph corner carver coming home nowadays
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy1LE View Post
Haha sorry! I should’ve taken a picture! Literally couldn’t tell though unless it was moving on the balancer and ever so slightly.

This sounds promising! I was like ahh well $700 down the drain. Is this a rush to get done or I can wait a bit? Car is a highway cruiser/ slight 25mph corner carver coming home nowadays
I don't know, it's probably fine for a bit but I would get it fixed asap.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:44 AM   #6
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Don't wait too long. I drove on a bent rim for about a year because it balanced fine but it did eventually crack and start to lose air. Gave me a reason to get new wheels 😁
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The body shop up the street from me has a wheel repair service that works out of a truck. They basically show up to do the wheels when needed. So maybe you can also check with a body shop for options.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Stock SS 1LE wheels are forged so they can typically be repaired and used again even at high speeds without issues. Cheaper cast wheels are more likely to crack than forged wheels and cast wheels that are repaired might just crack again. I have had 2 or 3 bent SS 1LE wheels repaired. You will probably have a bit of damage on the barrel from the repair but it will be a lot more expensive to repaint the whole wheel and hide the slight repair marks so I didn't bother.

If the wheel is bent it might wear out the hub and/or suspension faster so that's a reason to address it.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote