Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-31-2023, 03:24 PM   #1177
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
30 minutes.
So best case scenario six times as long, if you can find a working super fast charger. If not, maybe several hours.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #1178
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
So best case scenario six times as long, if you can find a working super fast charger. If not, maybe several hours.
I pointed that out and of course the data I found wasn't accurate... Data is only accurate when it fits his narrative.

Data I found..
Quote: "S&P Global Mobility estimates there are about 126,500 Level 2 and 20,431 Level 3 charging stations in the United States today, plus another 16,822 Tesla Superchargers and Tesla destination chargers."

His response...

Quote:
Those S&P Global Mobility folks sure know what the hell they’re talking about, right?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:18 PM   #1179
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I pointed that out and of course the data I found wasn't accurate... Data is only accurate when it fits his narrative.

Data I found..
Quote: "S&P Global Mobility estimates there are about 126,500 Level 2 and 20,431 Level 3 charging stations in the United States today, plus another 16,822 Tesla Superchargers and Tesla destination chargers."

His response...
OMG you are taking this way too seriously. Why did I post “ Those S&P Global Mobility folks sure know what the hell they’re talking about, right? ” ?

This was my badge for Media Days at NAIAS….
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:33 PM   #1180
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
OMG you are taking this way too seriously. Why did I post “ Those S&P Global Mobility folks sure know what the hell they’re talking about, right? ” ?

This was my badge for Media Days at NAIAS….
Ok...Well how am I suppose to know that? I took it like you were saying the info I posted was a joke.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:35 PM   #1181
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Yep. I'm heading to Oklahoma City next year for a competition. Pretty straight shot 880 miles and most of my friends who've made the trip can do it in about 13 hours. I figure in the Camaro I can make that run comfortably in 12 hours.

In an EV...? Two days? Three days? Hotel rooms, eating out, Even if the electricity were free the trip would still be much more expensive.
I don’t know what part of Georgia you’re coming from, but from Lenox Mall in Atlanta to Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC would take 18 hours with several 15 minute to 1 hour charging stops along the way. Definitely an overnight. Not something I would sign up for. I make this sort of trip once or twice a year. If I had an EV and no ICE vehicle I’d probably just rent a vehicle for the trip. Just like for some trips I’ve taken recently, even though I have 3 ICE vehicles in my garage, I’d rent a Suburban for a long trip rather than take my Camaro or SRX. Certainly not the MR2.

Quote:
I think I pointed out earlier that I charged a rental Model Y from 55% to 90% in less than a half hour and it WAS NOT a Supercharger.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 10-31-2023, 04:37 PM   #1182
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Ok...Well how am I suppose to know that? I took it like you were saying the info I posted was a joke.
I’ve mentioned it numerous times when I’ve posted data in response to your posts as well as several other posters. But, yeah I guess that still is a bit of an obscure reference.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:22 PM   #1183
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:

30 minutes would be an 80% charge at best. Also assumes everything is perfect: EV, battery, charger, location, availability...
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:50 PM   #1184
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
30 minutes would be an 80% charge at best. Also assumes everything is perfect: EV, battery, charger, location, availability...
80% is the magic number. For a 300 mile range EV, 80% is 240miles. Most people very rarely drive 240 miles in a day.

But also, lithium ion batteries charge faster and most efficiently when state of charge is between 20 - 80%. Above 80% the time required to add 1 mile of range is longer than it is below 80%.

When I plugged in the rented Model Y at 55%, the app told me it was charging at the rate of 207 miles added per hour of charging. I’m sure that at the point where it was charging between 80 and 90% the rate of charging was much slower. Still, it managed to get me from 55% to 90% in less than 30 minutes.

The car was a dual motor long range with 20” wheels, so the range is listed as 318 miles. So at 55% charge when I plugged it in it started at about 175 miles. When it finished charging it was at 90%, or 286 miles. So it added 111 miles in just under 30 minutes.

FWIW, Tuesday we’ll be picking up my wife’s dual motor long range with 20” wheels. And she’s already talking about driving it to Hilton Head Island when we go there for vacation. I will be trying to talk her off that ledge. Beyond that I sincerely doubt that car will ever see need for public charging.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:03 AM   #1185
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
FWIW, Tuesday we’ll be picking up my wife’s dual motor long range with 20” wheels. And she’s already talking about driving it to Hilton Head Island when we go there for vacation. I will be trying to talk her off that ledge. Beyond that I sincerely doubt that car will ever see need for public charging.
You punted on the Blazer huh?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 AM   #1186
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
The bottom line is that if you never do long distance driving you can certainly find a way to make electric work for you.

But America is almost 3,000 miles coast to coast.

Here’s why people like me won’t even consider one even if they were cheap and easy to charge:

My family is all around the Cleveland, OH area but my stepdad is from Travelers Rest SC, which is where most of his family still live. In 1992 his mom had terminal cancer. When his brother called to tell him she may not last more than the week, we packed up and took off. He booked it. We were in my Mom’s 1988 Olds Delta 88 and he kept it at 80 or in some places faster every chance he could. It was summer so the A/C was on as well. We literally stopped for bathroom breaks and gas. Left at 7:00 in the morning and got right to the hospital at 5:30 pm. It usually takes 12 hours to drive straight through. Don’t forget, you’re going up and down big mountains between W. Virginia and SC. I remember the speedometer needle being buried a couple times on the downsides of those Smokies - pretty sure he wasn’t touching the brakes.

She went later that evening. No one can convince me that could even be close to achievable with anything but a gasoline engine.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #1187

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
EVs need to be more straightforward with the use of their claimed "Range". A lot of the discussion here has been about "long trips". ICE mpg on city and highway varies a lot. On a long trip the Highway mpg is easy to determine one's "range". The EVs do not clarify highway range versus city range. No matter how big an EV's range becomes it does not translate to the same result as highway mpg on an ICE. The variables that reduce EV range are many and impact range much more than ICE.

ICE highway mpg increases range. EV highway miles decrease their range. I don't get why EVs do not differentiate between city and highway "range" and explain the conditions needed to achieve their claimed one size fits all "range". There might be a few high-end uber-expensive EVs that have good highway range, but that does not apply to the average buyer who won't be disappointed with an EV's true real world range, especially on a long trip. For example if an EV claims 300 miles of range, you won't get it doing 70mph on an interstate. Aside from the 80-20 percent thing, the "mpg" goes down at highway speeds, instead of up as with ICE.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #1188
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Look at what the gas prices today are in the UK. $7.42/gallon You wonder why they have no issue there with EVs?

I wonder if gas was $7.42/gallon here in the US if the US auto landscape would look any different. Maybe... but I still have my doubts.
Guess what? Electricity cost us about 250% what it costs in the USA too, the figures are entirely comparable.

Quote:
Leave it from a guy from the UK to tell us here in the US that our Gov has our backs.
No, governments do what gets them voted into power i.e. at least pretending to do what the electorate wants them to.

And for the other stuff, Solid state batteries do exist albeit in protoype form, a Rimac Nevera could charge from 0-80% in 21 minutes 2 years ago, a Hyundai Ioniq gets to 80% in 18 minutes and has a range of 360+ miles ....... wheres the tech going to be in another 2 years time?
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #1189
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Not into drama but, I will never buy a EV period.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #1190
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
You punted on the Blazer huh?
For now. The SS won’t be available until sometime mid next year and we need to replace my wife’s car before the snowfalls. The mid-trim models are barely trickling out of the factory. We may circle back to it in a couple years when it is more available and has the NACS charge ports.