Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Gunn108

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
electrical issue or BAD ECM? need help please

I recently picked up a 2011SS L99 it had a SC with 23k miles, wanted more power, so I sent it to Dallas (Andy Mages) for a cam and heads upgrade. Andy does great work if your in Texas ADMperformance.
I picked car up on my way home, the Stall looked to have came apart, transmission lines were full of shavings. Andy sent a truck to pick me up. He went to Dealer and had a new transmission waiting on me, installed after a few hours was headed home again. great customer service.
Now here comes the issue, car was doing great for 1st week or so. After a wash, was pulling away I got Service Stability trac, lost my gauges so I turned it off, went to start I got nothing. so I checked a few things, kept trying then suddenly it starts right up. Get it back home, pulled cable and let it set a while,then it would start up. Was thinking maybe I got something wet,thought things were fine. The car was in garage for a week or so, was taking it out and after driving for a period of time the trouble lights come back on, same thing. So I start searching. I have put a new battery in, I have added a new ground. I do have a 6th GEn starter to put on next. after driving most of day Saturday thinking I had it fixed, trouble lights come on, seems to shift harder run a little rough. So next day I fire it up seems to run perfect.. seen a lot of posts on ECM similar issues, was thinking it seems to only do it when car gets hot and runs great after it cools down.
please share thoughts if anyone had had similar issues? TIA
Gunn108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #2
csymes15

Drives: 2014 camaro ss 1le
Did you ever figure out what caused it?
My car is having a similar issue and can not figure out why
csymes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Nenous1

Drives: 2011 Camaro rs
I had a similar issue taking place with my RS' and i'd take the car in for quick wash afterwards service trac would come on afterwards, my issue ended up being my throttle body, but only after a carwash.
Nenous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #4
Miami_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn108 View Post
I recently picked up a 2011SS L99 it had a SC with 23k miles, wanted more power, so I sent it to Dallas (Andy Mages) for a cam and heads upgrade. Andy does great work if your in Texas ADMperformance.
I picked car up on my way home, the Stall looked to have came apart, transmission lines were full of shavings. Andy sent a truck to pick me up. He went to Dealer and had a new transmission waiting on me, installed after a few hours was headed home again. great customer service.
Now here comes the issue, car was doing great for 1st week or so. After a wash, was pulling away I got Service Stability trac, lost my gauges so I turned it off, went to start I got nothing. so I checked a few things, kept trying then suddenly it starts right up. Get it back home, pulled cable and let it set a while,then it would start up. Was thinking maybe I got something wet,thought things were fine. The car was in garage for a week or so, was taking it out and after driving for a period of time the trouble lights come back on, same thing. So I start searching. I have put a new battery in, I have added a new ground. I do have a 6th GEn starter to put on next. after driving most of day Saturday thinking I had it fixed, trouble lights come on, seems to shift harder run a little rough. So next day I fire it up seems to run perfect.. seen a lot of posts on ECM similar issues, was thinking it seems to only do it when car gets hot and runs great after it cools down.
please share thoughts if anyone had had similar issues? TIA
Check for bad ground at the battery. That was my issue with these symptoms. I added a 2nd ground wire at the battery and it went away along with the infamous random 'no start' issue that has been documented on these cars for years. After adding a 2nd ground wire on top of the factory ground wire and also increasing the idle crank (via HP Tuners) spark, viola - no more 'no start' issues (crossing fingers!) as well as Stabil Trac issues. Many users of Gen 5 Camaros have these issues as their cars age. Search the Gen5 Camaro for answers - that's what I did and found my answer. Ignore suggestions to hack into factory wiring - not necessary. Unfortunately, Chevy dumbed down these cars during production and skimped in areas like grounding to the chassis. A combination of better grounding and tuning makes an enormous difference in performance.

Last edited by Miami_SS; 06-29-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Miami_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:43 AM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
My Pontiac G8 V6 did that to me even though I didn't wash the engine bay.

It seemed to be missing and running on 3 or 4 cylinders when it refired and went into limp home mode.

I nursed it home and the code reader showed multiple codes and stability control.

My neighbor thought it was terminal.

I remembered an old trick after clearing all the codes I unplugged the MAF sensor and she cranked right over purring like a kitten.

Of course it threw that code but I plugged it back in and cleared the code and she has run great ever since.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote