Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
JohnB2016

Drives: Camaro 2SS
2015 Camaro LT 3.6 V6 Oil Pan Gasket?

Good afternoon,

I just recently (6 days ago) bought a 2015 Camaro LT Convertible and it has a bad oil leak when running. When the car is running, it's a drip every few seconds. I have not had time yet to get under it and see what is leaking. Guessing oil pan, cooler lines at the block and or rear main seal.

I started looking at prices/parts and I can not find an oil pan gasket on any Chevrolet or parts sites. Does this only use a RTV sealant? Seems odd, but even looking at the pan assembly, it does not show a gasket. Also, any suggestions on changing (if needed) the rear main seal vs the plate with seal already installed? The rear plate does not appear to have a gasket either. Is this correct? If so, and it only uses a RTV silicone sealant, how hard would it be to clean and reseal without removing the pan. From what I read, it is a PITA to remove, but not sure how much room there is once its dropped. Enough to clean and run a new bead?

I plan on finding a repair manual which will hopefully give more info then I have been able to find online.

Thanks

Last edited by JohnB2016; 02-09-2023 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add question
JohnB2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
I just checked the Chilton manual, and you're correct: the oil pan uses RTV sealant rather than a gasket.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:20 PM   #3
JohnB2016

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I just checked the Chilton manual, and you're correct: the oil pan uses RTV sealant rather than a gasket.
Thanks
JohnB2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
Marvin_Rall

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro
Hello!

You're correct that some oil pans are sealed with RTV silicone instead of a traditional gasket. It's not uncommon for modern engines to use silicone sealant for a variety of reasons, including improved sealing and ease of installation.

Regarding your rear main seal, it's possible that it also uses RTV silicone as a sealant. If you're having a leak in this area, you'll need to determine the source of the leak before attempting a repair. Sometimes the oil leak can be coming from the crankshaft seal, which is located in the front of the engine, rather than the rear main seal.

If you need to clean and reseal the oil pan or rear main seal, it's important to thoroughly clean the surface and remove any old silicone before applying a new bead of RTV silicone. This will ensure a good bond and proper sealing.
Marvin_Rall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crankshaft rear cover, oil pan, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, rms