Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #365
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Sorry, I don’t share your confidence in these EV decisions being well founded. There are to many instances of auto makers making boneheaded decisions. Pinto anyone?
Sorry Pinto was a rear collision case that simply was new at that time. Not to excuse what happened but there was not a test at that time for rear impact. We learn and we get better.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #366
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Although your post makes perfect sense, you are guilty of thoughtcrime and spreading misinformation. The inevitable EV future must not be hindered by unfavorable circumstances and realities. Causing EV anxiety and slowing blind acceptance of EVs for the greater good must be canceled by the woke mob, corporate interests and the bureaucrats. To speak of such things is to go against the grain of GM's multi billion dollar investments and the administration's new liberal world order.

EV Doublethink requires you to believe there is no grid problem. You must accept any shortages, reductions in the standard of living, quality of life, as well as higher energy costs and also believe that it is not even happening.

The Transition and EV future is inevitable.

I just tell it how it is. I am glad I live in an area that the woke have no traction. EPA doesn't really like us either but we have no risk of blackouts for now so there is that unlike the Northeast.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:53 PM   #367
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sorry Pinto was a rear collision case that simply was new at that time. Not to excuse what happened but there was not a test at that time for rear impact. We learn and we get better.
I’m not sure the Camaro sedan EV would look that much different than a coupe, but whatever they want to call that rendering- it’s not my idea of a Camaro.

You have an optimistic view, but I suspect you’ll put your money where your mouth is if they produce one. I respect you for that. I guess we’ll see. My family will be fine if we suffer longer term or intermittent blackouts, but I fear many won’t be as prepared. Mary B and EPA bureaucrats, on the other hand, couldn’t care less.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:54 PM   #368
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Leaving electrical grid shortcomings, high EV costs and environmental problems with lithium mining aside there is an elephant in the room the people behind the curtain want to avoid talking about. If sales of EV's grow anywhere near the pace projected the supply of rare earth minerals such as lithium and cobalt will not be able to keep up. This will result in battery prices (therefore vehicle prices) remaining sky high.

This is not rocket science. Lithium mining is a slow, resource intensive process requiring large amounts of land for the evaporation ponds. Scaling the process up is also slow and expensive.

The people behind the curtain know that "yet to be invented" battery technology will be required to prevent the EV house of cards from crashing down.

If the oil industry had to develop the infrastructure required to support an equivalent rate of ICE vehicle sales increases in the early 1900's that the battery industry is being asked to now they would have failed. The evolution from horses to cars didn't happen in 10 years and the numbers involved were microscopic compared to today.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:18 AM   #369
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Actually Ford found out about the problem pretty quickly, they just did the math and decided paying the claims was cheaper than fixing the problem. They were wrong.

Now many automakers have decided that the climate emergency crowd (the Chicken Littles of this story) are ascendant so it’s time to go along to get along. Time will tell if they’re betting on the right horse.

I think that people who can’t define what a woman is probably can’t look 50 years into the future and predict the temperature to within a tenth of a degree.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #370
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I find it curious that many of you have no faith in your fellow Americans updating the electrical grid. So our infrastructure will never improve?

Good thing none of you were around when gas stations weren't as widespread, or when we didn't have a interstate or highway system. You would have thought we'd be stuck with bicycles and horse and buggies forever.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #371
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I find it curious that many of you have no faith in your fellow Americans updating the electrical grid. So our infrastructure will never improve?

Good thing none of you were around when gas stations weren't as widespread, or when we didn't have a interstate or highway system. You would have thought we'd be stuck with bicycles and horse and buggies forever.
It certainly is a curious concept. Indeed, the power systems will stagnate for the foreseeable future because that is the current talking point that keeps getting regurgitated.

Surely there is no plan to make adjustments to accommodate the impending influx of electric vehicles utilizing the grid. Now, what won't surprise me, is capitalism being capitalism. Guaranteed, that the price to charge EVs will steadily increase to the point where we are sitting currently with gasoline. It wouldn't surprise me if you had EV-specific ports to charge your vehicles and those particular ports cost more money per-volt than anything else in your home.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #372

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I find it curious how many believe that shutting down existing nuclear and fossil fuel powered electrical generating facilities in the U.S will improve the infrastructure.

The suspension of dis-belief is required to think renewables of wind and solar will fill the void. Ask Germany how that's been working out so far.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #373
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:

I see people make this claim/argument so many times in EV threads. The problem with this argument is automobiles back then, roads, gas stations, etc... They ALL made everyone's lives better in every way over horses and trails. Toss out the fact of ICE drivers subsidizing driving an EV for now... (Because that will change) Today EV's do not make anyone's lives better.

Until EV's make peoples lives better and the masses can see why, they will not ever become mainstream without them simply being shoved down our throats. Things that are forced upon us that consumers don't see the benefit of, simply don't fair well in history.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #374
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:

I have great confidence in my fellow Americans, but I don’t share that optimism for our elected leaders. They control the purse strings, and there is far too much corruption and waste. What is the most recent government success story related to infrastructure? Same thing regarding education. We spend more per student, but they aren’t doing well. I think it’s a self-fulfilling circle down the drain. Something needs to change. Overwhelming evidence suggests our institutions and bureaucracies are partisan and corrupt.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #375
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

This would be true if you could build a power plant. I’m in them weekly. All of the money is going to renewables which will not give you the power we need. In fact the smaller fossile fuel plants are running at higher capacity to offset green energy which is unreliable. I’m not sure where you are getting your information from.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #376
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
How exactly is our infrastructure going to improve?

The Greens don't want nuclear. They don't want hydro. They're OK with solar and wind, but what about when the wind doesn't blow and it's cloudy? We don't have even a fraction of the storage capacity we need to bridge those gaps and no way to do it with current technology. That leaves fossil fuels to bridge the gap, but the Greens have declared fossil fuels verboten lest the sky fall.

So exactly how are we going to 'upgrade our infrastructure'?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #377
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
I won't buy an electric vehicle at my age, 67, unless it is forced on me by market conditions or the government. Have a 2020 Equinox, 2017 Camaro RS v6, and 2002 Impala 3.8 all bought new and my 79 Corvette L48 I have owned since 87. If I need an ev if will be basic transportation model for daily driving etc. Hate to see Ice Camaro die, especially as Ford brings out new gen Ice Mustang. I think gm going ev so quickly is a real mistake. Most people not ready. JMO.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:13 PM   #378
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
In typically self-serving fashion, human ingenuity suddenly disappears when one is personally opposed to some new technology, EVs in this case. That is a variance with history where new technologies were developed with human inventiveness and smarts, often with government support, and despite political opposition by vested interests. Challenge me to name some, I've got a long list...

Those who think ICE vehicles are the future are on the wrong side of history. It's not a coincidence that those who think that way are generally anti-government, pro deregulation (business first always before environment), and pro fossil fuel.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote