Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
OnStar Insurance - anyone have it and used it?

I recently received an email regarding OnStar Insurance (not to be confused with OnStar Services). I did a quick preliminary price quote and it came in remarkably close to what I am currently paying with Progressive. I have had Progressive for over 10 years so there are quite a few discounts already priced in for me. The preliminary price quote was not using my VIN or my SSN so the preliminary is just that, and yet the price came in within $50 of Progressive. I have a clean driving record and with the exception of using my insurance to fix/fill a crack in the windshield I have not used it at all. When I did have to contact them regarding the windshield they were quick, concise and easy to deal with. All of my follow up with them via e-mail was direct and easy to use as well.

I am curious if anyone here is already using OnStar Insurance and can inform me of the quality of service you have received when using the company; ease of use, ease of process if you encountered an event that required you to contact them, etc.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #2
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Not sure I understand why you'd want to switch if your current insurance costs the same. Are you unhappy with it?
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance...
Old 05-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I remember a thread on another board that said I had to go into my OnStar account and ACTIVELY turn off a setting that "anonymously" shared your driving habits with auto insurance companies. I was a little irritated that OnStar was actively sharing my information. Since then, I've decided that I would prefer not to give my money to OnStar.

You said that you've been with Progressive for 10 years, I suggest you shop around. You might get a cheaper quote from other providers.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
KenMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Not sure I understand why you'd want to switch if your current insurance costs the same. Are you unhappy with it?
No, not unhappy with it at all. But every year I do go and look at options to see how the prices are stacking up. While in most cases you get discounts the longer you stay with a company sometimes they do raise their base prices and while you think you are getting discounts your actual price no longer compares well with other companies.

This was how I found Progressive in the first place, I've had my share of insurance companies and my only complaint with any of them is that eventually my costs no longer compare well with a competitor. It never hurts to look and see if I can save another hundred plus dollars for the same service... It also gives me leverage to go back to my existing company and show them the price a competitor has (much like car shopping and dealers).
Old 05-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
KenMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I remember a thread on another board that said I had to go into my OnStar account and ACTIVELY turn off a setting that "anonymously" shared your driving habits with auto insurance companies. I was a little irritated that OnStar was actively sharing my information. Since then, I've decided that I would prefer not to give my money to OnStar.

You said that you've been with Progressive for 10 years, I suggest you shop around. You might get a cheaper quote from other providers.
Yeah, I agree, I have gone down some rabbit holes with regards to tracking and information sharing. I don't volunteer myself with their items to track driving habits but at the same time every insurance company out there already has your information. When you shop around as often as I do, it never ceases to amaze me that someone at State Farm or AllState can pull up all my history on their system. The information databases out there are scary.

I have had Progressive lower my prices in the past when I found a competitor who offered a better deal. I do shop around roughly once a year or every 18 months or so.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
Yeah, I agree, I have gone down some rabbit holes with regards to tracking and information sharing. I don't volunteer myself with their items to track driving habits but at the same time every insurance company out there already has your information. When you shop around as often as I do, it never ceases to amaze me that someone at State Farm or AllState can pull up all my history on their system. The information databases out there are scary.

I have had Progressive lower my prices in the past when I found a competitor who offered a better deal. I do shop around roughly once a year or every 18 months or so.

Yeah, our privacy is pretty much non-existent. I still get 5-6 phone calls a week asking me about a property that I sold last year. I think it's kind of messed up that anyone can find out who owns what. Also, something I learned last year, you can actually ask Google Maps to blur out your house in their Street view. I used it before I listed my house as I had done some work on it after Google Maps took a picture of it. Another shady thing I learned is if you have an auto loan, a dealership can find out your payoff before they even get your consent. They use this to leverage a price against you for your trade-in. Really pretty annoying.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Find a good independent agency in your area and get a quote with Citizens/Hanover for their Platinum policy. Covers your cars and home. They also can provide an umbrella rider for extra coverage applying to all your policies. We carry an extra mill on top of cars & home, and also extends to our yacht policy which isn't even through Citizens.

Haven't had a claim with Citizens since we went to them several years ago, but friends have (on their home) several years ago and report they were great to deal with and covered everything. Our agent speaks very highly of the Platinum policy and in fact has it for his family's coverages. That speaks a lot when a professional agent uses a product for himself!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway SC630 View Post
15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance...
That is such a crock of shit lol

Last time I called those jackholes I got quoted $700/month just for my car. I promptly told them to go **** themselves while I pay $160/month now.

Coincidently, the moment the Gov. of MI forced insurance companies to dish out $400/car. My insurance went up $150/month. I promptly told them to go **** themselves too, then switched to AAA.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | Roto-Fab CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #10
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Ill never forget when Progressive politely found a way to tell me they didn't want me as a customer anymore:

When I was restationed to Nevada for the military, I of course began to move my insurance over from a Maryland policy. I was paying ~$2300/year on my truck (low deductible, and several other upgrades - the price was fair considering Maryland/DC drivers).

The agent, no shit, says: "Are you sitting down? It's 12....thousand...per year."

I literally laughed because I thought she was joking. Nope, they wanted $12000/year. After they went to the bare minimum coverage? It was ONLY $10000/year.

Right, so USAA got me $2000/year, and I said so long and thanks for the fish.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
That is such a crock of shit lol

Last time I called those jackholes I got quoted $700/month just for my car. I promptly told them to go **** themselves while I pay $160/month now.

Coincidently, the moment the Gov. of MI forced insurance companies to dish out $400/car. My insurance went up $150/month. I promptly told them to go **** themselves too, then switched to AAA.
Still too much! I'm in MI too. Royal Oak. We pay about ~$1400/car for a '16 CTS4, '17 XT5 AWD, and my SS Vert. Another $1400/yr for the home policy with $670k of dwelling coverage and $22k in named jewelry coverage. That's with the Citizens Platinum policy. Deducts are not high either, pretty standard coverages, and not bare-bones liabilities. Another $300/yr for $1M in umbrella liability through Citizens.

I wouldn't use GEICO if you GAVE it to me. Close friends had a propane explosion on their sailboat in '18 while at a dock. He ended up dying from his injuries. GEICO F-d with the widow for over a year getting the boat fixed so she could sell it, and it was never fully repaired. They cheaped-out on everything and the widow had to source the interior upholstery that needed replacement (used) herself, even though the company that originally made it was still in business and could have made new stuff to fit the exact boat. Shameful!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #12
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
I look at it this way, and some people will disagree. On Star is useless as it is to begin with. So that may also answer any question as to the On Star Insurance. I have owned multiple new GM products since On Star was introduced. The only reason I even hit the button at all in a new car is so that my salesman doesn't get dinged by GM on the survey. He said its a big thing with GM. Once the free trial is over, I never touch the button again.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #13
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
If you go with a no name company, you will be sorry when you have a claim. Most of them don't have there own adjusters and hire independents that really have no pressure on them to make you happy.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
KenMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
If you go with a no name company, you will be sorry when you have a claim. Most of them don't have there own adjusters and hire independents that really have no pressure on them to make you happy.
Well, in fairness to them Onstar Insurance is a subsidiary of GM. It is brand new though and only available in Michigan, Illinois and Arizona.

I was just curious since it is a new product if anyone here has tried it. It doesn't appear to be going well with the Camaro owners so far

This weekend I will go through and see what the costs will be for me. Maybe I can leverage it into reducing my existing policy.