Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 AM   #43
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
I keep trying to inform my parents on this, but they just don't get it. They keep trying to update the manufacturer "nav" and it keeps screwing them over in places, because it can't update in real-time like phones do.

Cars will never be updating like phones unless they are using the phone's cellular data for a phone-application like google maps, not some dumb proprietary "nav" software.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #44
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
There is a third option: an autonomous GPS like Garmin.

I have one with lifetime updates. That is the norm for these devices and I'm amazed that GM still finds customers who will pay $100 for nav updates on built-in units.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #45
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
There is a third option: an autonomous GPS like Garmin.

I have one with lifetime updates. That is the norm for these devices and I'm amazed that GM still finds customers who will pay $100 for nav updates on built-in units.
As a Garmin employee, I thank you. That said, I just updated the built-in on my ZL1 for the first time. And likely the only time. Don't think $100 is gonna break me when the car stickered for $65k.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #46
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
As a Garmin employee, I thank you. That said, I just updated the built-in on my ZL1 for the first time. And likely the only time. Don't think $100 is gonna break me when the car stickered for $65k.
Yeah, it's not so much the price, it's how it works. Google maps stays up to date with traffic and uses other people's experiences to put you on a better route around whatever issues pop up, in real-time. It stays on top of road construction and all sorts of other issues. In Phoenix a few weeks back the OEM subaru unit, just updated, wanted us to get off the highway and go on a frontage road for like 7 miles, because of "closed roads", except nothing was closed for miles and there was no reason to get off the highway. Tried it on google maps on the reverse direction and the stuff the car-nav was doing was just bizarre. Granted, much of the time it works, but when it fails it usually does so more often and to a much bigger extent, as it does not update in real time as things change. As long as I can get turn by turn piped into the audio system, I'm good. A map is even better. Having to plug in the phone is a minor inconvenience, but the absolute last thing I'll do is use the car's navigation. This is not a feature to pay for on a new car. Unfortunately it's usually bundled so they make their money on it no matter what. I think it's going to be offered for a long time because a lot of old people don't understand how redundant it is with phones. Eventually though, the car and phone will be the same thing and it will updated in real time.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #47
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Waze + Android Auto = Free up to date nav on the display with hazard/etc. notifications.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #48
19_2SS

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Cars will never be updating like phones unless they are using the phone's cellular data for a phone-application like google maps, not some dumb proprietary "nav" software.
My Camaro has had infotainment software updates a couple of times so, yes, cars will (and do) update like phones. On a Tesla, it's goes beyond that. aAn over the air update can change the behavior of the car.
19_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #49
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I updated my 2016 Nav map once, and likely will do it again in a year or to to keep current. They send out this offer every year at least so far.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #50
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Waze + Android Auto = Free up to date nav on the display with hazard/etc. notifications.
+1 for Waze but on Car Play. To hell with the built in stuff.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #51
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Owned mine for 18 months but never used its nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
I did a quick search here and didn't find anything regarding this.

"The new 2021 Chevrolet Navigation System Map Update is now available. Save $60 and receive free shipping" They mail you a USB with the update custom to your vin#

So I have used the built-in navigation several times, but to be honest, Waze is my go-to Nav. Any members here update yet and think it's worth it?

I do have a question regarding the Nav. A couple of times I've used it then changed my mind midway to my destination only to find out I can't turn it off. So how do you turn it off once it's set?
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #52
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
NOPE

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #53
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
With Car Play, and a Garmin with free lifetime maps... that $100 could be better used elsewhere for me.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #54
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I just finished a 400 miles trip, in the toolies, and thought about this topic.

The having the street names and lane/turn directions display in the HUD alone makes the factory Navi superior. It allows you to focus on what is in front of you and frees the main display for other things (music/SiriusXM).

The main dash display also gives more Navi details and maps …if you like.

I had it on my 16 but not on the 18. I’m glad to have it again on the 20 and think it’s worth the money

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote