Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm so glad to be living in a state with zero annual inspections for vehicles and a county without emissions testing. Of course with all of the "California refugees" that could change...
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #16
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I'm so glad to be living in a state with zero annual inspections for vehicles and a county without emissions testing. Of course with all of the "California refugees" that could change...
Even without the California refugees other states are implementing and following on the same track as California. With people pushing for cleaner air more states will feel pressured to do the same as California, Ill give it a few years for half of the US states to have adopted the same standard.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_maro View Post
Even without the California refugees other states are implementing and following on the same track as California. With people pushing for cleaner air more states will feel pressured to do the same as California, Ill give it a few years for half of the US states to have adopted the same standard.

Yes, this! Additionally, I think many here are not seeing the bigger picture.

Pollution is a huge problem. Come visit Los Angeles and you’ll realize that. Although it doesn’t appear to be a problem in other states, it is in fact everyone’s problem. Others may have clear blue skies in their state but that doesn’t mean smog is simply a localized problem that only effects certain geographic areas. The entire globe is clamping down on reckless emissions standards.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #18
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
Yes, this! Additionally, I think many here are not seeing the bigger picture.

Pollution is a huge problem. Come visit Los Angeles and you’ll realize that. Although it doesn’t appear to be a problem in other states, it is in fact everyone’s problem. Others may have clear blue skies in their state but that doesn’t mean smog is simply a localized problem that only effects certain geographic areas. The entire globe is clamping down on reckless emissions standards.
Yea… the whole globe… except India and China the two biggest polluters by far. We can do whatever we want here and all it’s ever gonna be is a drop in the bucket until the big polluters get there selves together, and guess what, that’s not going to happen.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_maro View Post
With the push for electric vehicles (which aren't actually that eco-friendly) I'm not sure how many places will push the emissions craziness of Comufornia.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #20
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
With the push for electric vehicles (which aren't actually that eco-friendly) I'm not sure how many places will push the emissions craziness of Comufornia.
I second this. The phasing out of the ICE will eventually have the same effect, with less pushback. It really doesnt take long for cars to be phased out and disappear. Most cars end up at the junk yard at some point. More and more cars on the road will be hybrid or full electric vehicles. OEM's will also, eventually phase out any ICE muscle cars. It will happen quicker than you think. I fully expect this camaro I own, to likely be the last muscle car I ever own.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #21
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Electric cars right now are as clean as the source of energy that is used. With increased demand and research in renewable energies there will be cleaner sources of energy. If you've been keeping up with EV market you'd see that china plays a major role in that department. They are a major contributor to the world sales of EVs as they currently own about 45%ish of all EVs. India plans on becoming carbon neutral by 2030, and China has made a pledge to become carbon neutral by 2060. They are making attempts to fix the damage they are making right now.

Like in mathematics there is a famous theorem called the Archimedean Property, which is easily explained as one can empty a bathtub with a spoon. Where I am going with this is that no matter how small an effort is, with enough of this little efforts a big change can be done.

I know it seems ironic that a guy who drives an American V8 is rooting for global pollution change
Old 07-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #22
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
As I read this and the postings, I have a few questions to those in California.
1. Do all vehicles get smog tested?
2. Is your registration/tags dependent on pass/fail of smog check?
3. Do only state certified places conduct smog check?
4. If the answer to all above is yes, how is this law going to do anything for smog? Just by thinking about it, those that are bypassing the system(illegally) right now will just continue to do so after.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #23
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blinder View Post
4. If the answer to all above is yes, how is this law going to do anything for smog? Just by thinking about it, those that are bypassing the system(illegally) right now will just continue to do so after.
1. All vehicles older than 8 years have to do smog testing every other year, exception are 1975 and older.
2. Registration is only issued on a passing smog check
3. Only STAR smog test center can do these tests, in other words certified smog test centers.
4. Depending on the shop and leniency of the owner he could say f it on the visual inspection and if the car passes the other tests well then he will say your car passed. But, now that ECU testing is done even if the owner says you "pass" visual inspection and you have a tuned ECU you will fail the remaining test. Hence, the reason of panic for Californians.

Had a friend pass smog with a cammed turbo Camaro because of the leniency of the shop owner.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #24
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
“China has made a pledge to become carbon neutral by 2060.” And I’ll be eating Unicorn bacon under the cigarette trees by the whiskey rivers in the Big Rock Candy Mountains then, too.

China wants you dead. Period.

Hey, let’s talk catch cans!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #25
SS 310H55A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blinder View Post

The smog check machines are connected to the BAR. The smog check machine plugs into your OBD port, sends data to the BAR, and then a pass or fail is sent back to the smog check machine. If you’re running modified software, the BAR will detect that when the smog check machine sends your data to the BAR. If you’re running modified software, in most cases, you’ll be required to visit a state referee for a more vigorous inspection.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #26
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Yea… the whole globe… except India and China the two biggest polluters by far. We can do whatever we want here and all it’s ever gonna be is a drop in the bucket until the big polluters get there selves together, and guess what, that’s not going to happen.
This doesn't mean that we can't improve ourselves as well.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #27
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
What a bunch of nonsense. We are checking IDs at the border and the voting booth here.

If I was in a state that required inspection, I would do an LS swap on a 60s muscle car and keep racing.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #28
SS 310H55A

California Smog Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
What a bunch of nonsense. We are checking IDs at the border and the voting booth here.

If I was in a state that required inspection, I would do an LS swap on a 60s muscle car and keep racing.

I was heavy into the fox bodies awhile back. Smog checks were still easy and street legal events were always going on. California smog checks started getting ridiculous and I ditched the foxes for a ‘65 Mustang so that I can do whatever I want. Old cars drive like ass though. My ‘65 turned into a 10 year journey of while I’m at it side projects.

I picked up my SS because my classic was a never ending project and just wasn’t satisfying my urge to go fast. It’s fully operational now, but no rear seat belts so my kids can’t go in it, exhaust is loud because basically paper thin sheet metal and no insulation, chasing down small issues that kill the enjoyabikity to drive it. These issues I can somewhat fix, but one project at a time. It gets attention and I love it but old cars are very different than the enjoyability you get from a modern muscle car.