Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
daktah

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss 1le
overheated! what fluids need changing?

the other day my serpentine belt spaghetti'd on the freeway and i ended up overheating to the point of hitting limp mode and venting coolant before i could pull off. i only drove it 20-30 seconds in limp mode before I was able to stop so hopefully I didn't damage anything. The engine not locking up and no James Bond smoke screen from the tailpipe is a good sign I think. i proceeded to hobble it home running it until it started dinging then i would let the fans cool it and then drive a little further. it set the change oil soon message, even though the gauge never hit the tick between 210 and 320 (so if that middle tick is ~265, it was like ~240?) though im sure all of the oil was in contact with an overheated section of the engine for some moment of time since it was about 20-25 minutes from when the car first overheated to when i got home. i didnt pay as much attention to the mtf gauge but i dont think it went above that middle tick either, so probably ~220 max but im pretty sure the heat exchanger for it is water cooled, so it would be in contact with the overheated coolant.
do i need to change either of these oils? i have rotella gas truck 5w30 in the engine and redline d4 in the tranny, both have about 1000 miles since i did them at the same time.
Attached Images

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners

Last edited by daktah; 09-14-2020 at 12:49 PM.
daktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Sorry to hear. At a minimum, i would change the fluids(coolant, engine oil and possibly even the transmission fluid(cheap insurance)), check the spark plugs and compression only because you said "dinging" and check the belt path and pulleys to see if you find anything that could of lead to the belt being chewed up. I have shredded an AC belt before and found the cause to have been belt contact between the two belts. Good luck
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
daktah

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss 1le
by dinging i meant the cluster telling me the engine was overheating, nothing mechanical. i put a belt on it today and fired it up and it sounded and ran fine with no smoke or other worrying sideshows.
ill do the engine oil for sure, coolant i was reluctant but then i realized the car is over 5 years old and the book says to do a flush n fill so i guess ill take care of that too (especially what with having dexkill). tranny idk i dont think its going to get scorched as badly as engine oil since the only contact is with the water in the radiator rather than hot metal parts so it should be ok i think. plus i dont wanna jack up the car again any time soon, its kind of a pain.

i dont know why the belt shredded like that, its weird. if it jumped off or got chewed up on one side it would be more obvious but just splitting into multiple little v belts is just weird. pulleys all look fine and the tensioner seems reasonable. maybe it was just old and me winding it out constantly caused it to disintegrate. i did notice it developed a very subtle little squeak in one place on the belt the day before, nothing crazy just a little "skee" about once a 1/2 second or so at idle not full on squeaking or squealing like from a factory original belt on a 10 year old car. either way i have a new gates belt on it so i doubt this will happen again.

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners
daktah is offline   Reply With Quote