Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'm all for more inputs in general, but strongly against intervention. Love the blind spot monitoring or the rear cross traffic alert, for example, but having either of these automatically steer or brake would be a dealbreaker for me.

This middle ground between the driver fully controlling the car and the car driving itself completely autonomously is the worst, very error prone both on the human and (at the moment) the computer side.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I had the FCA system in a Malibu for two years. Really liked it. If the car brakes for you, you are way too close to the ass end of the car in front. You get a warning if it thinks you're going to hit something but doesn't brake until almost impact.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'm all for more inputs in general, but strongly against intervention. Love the blind spot monitoring or the rear cross traffic alert, for example, but having either of these automatically steer or brake would be a dealbreaker for me.

This middle ground between the driver fully controlling the car and the car driving itself completely autonomously is the worst, very error prone both on the human and (at the moment) the computer side.
I agree in that autonomous controls are 100% unwanted. What really irritates me with those things is that either you have no way to turn them off in any fashion, or you can't change the default to be off. Auto-braking and steering are examples of the insurance industry lobbying for features that owners don't want.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #18
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
I believe you are referring to the blind spot detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
My Lane Keeping alerts fire frequently even with no other cars around. Often, if I'm at a stop light, they will randomly flash and I've even had guardrails trigger them. I'd much prefer a slightly wider view mirror and get rid of those things all together.
I believe that lane keeping alerts face vertically from bottom of side view mirrors to pavement and give you an alert when you cross a dotted white or solid yellow line without first activating your turn signal signal on that side of the car.

The blind spot monitor will "fire" when there is anything in the blindspot. This includes barriers/gm walls/guard rails etc in curves/ramps and also stop light posts when you are stopped next to one at a red light. Not really an error in that something is in you blindspot but not really needed either and sometimes a distraction.

As a former 1ss owner who did not have it and went to a 2ss with it I like the feature but as you say it is not perfect.

I do not have FCA or lane keeping alerts so can't comment.

Cheers,

Jeff
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
My 1SS has all of it, for FCA, I have this big piece of glass that I can see through. For blind spot I have these two reflective thingies on the sides of my door. For lane keep, I have this big round thing I hold on to, the car goes where I turn it. I even have collision intervention, I have this short, wide pedal, when I push it, the car stops...It's all really amazing!!
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #20
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Just a note on the FCA for the Camaro - it's only a warning, it is not active. It will not apply your brakes, and the blind spot monitoring does not keep you in your lane.

My FCA went off on me. It just flashes a bright red outline of a car in your HUD and on the DIC, and mutes the stereo and you get a warning beep. That's it. I wasn't in danger of wrecking either, I had the distance set very far and had plenty of distance to the car in front of me.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Just a note on the FCA for the Camaro - it's only a warning, it is not active. It will not apply your brakes, and the blind spot monitoring does not keep you in your lane.

My FCA went off on me. It just flashes a bright red outline of a car in your HUD and on the DIC, and mutes the stereo and you get a warning beep. That's it. I wasn't in danger of wrecking either, I had the distance set very far and had plenty of distance to the car in front of me.
Oh, good. So it only creates an unnecessary distraction. That's a relief. lol
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote