Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #1
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Heatsoak solution;: Fuel rails wrapped

Hi guys,

Just went thru an unpleasant episode of intense heatsoak with my sheetmetal intake; the car is feeling a LOT slower when hot summer day.

The car wasn't performing anywhere close to the number it made, but on a cold night, the car felt super fast, well at least as fast as a 600++ hp car should.

Heat soak was definitely an issue, and it was since my last cam only setup; on a cold day it would trap 123mph and on a hot day 117mph was barely achievable. Well an issue since I installed a sheetmetal intake.

Now I am H/C solid roller and the car made big power NA. But again heatsoak was still there with the sheet metal intake.

After reading some and thinking about it, I dont believe its the air coming in "getting warmed up" that is the problem, because when you think about it, the air travel fast and cannot be heated much by the time it gets to the cyl heads.

So I look for another factor; hot fuel. The fuel rails where like boiling burning hot on a hot day. The car was hard to start too after running to operating temp. Signs of hot fuel I learned.

One morning I say I gotta make this right and try something; ordered some cheap gold reflective tape and I had some spark plug wires heat sleeves laying around.

I removed my fuel rails and did use the sleeves and wrapped gold tape around it. I wrapped my fuel rails with headers wrap. Went for a test drive and for now, I do not feel like the car is losing 100hp when hot. No kidding the car really felt 100hp slower when hot. That was depressing.

The gold tape wasn't even hot to the touch!! I was impressed with it!! I am gonna wrap the fuel rails with gold tape, on top of the headers wrap.

The amount of heat from the heads to intake is pretty intense, and it conducts heat right there to the fuel rails. Ina perfect world, a carbon fiber spacer would be tits and I gotta fabricate polymer angled fuel rails mounts.

*I had Pat G look at my tune and nothing was wrong when hot. It was something else.

I have some heat extractor on the order too.

Polymer intake are a great thing for heat dissipation...stock fuel rails design too. Big fuel rails hold heat like stupid...

Here's a pic
Attached Images

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.

Last edited by WHAMMO; 08-22-2020 at 07:50 AM.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Heat in these engine bays are like a cremation furnace..lol. I wrapped my entire fuel rails and also the fuel line. I took the stock fuel supply line out and put in 8an PTFE from the tank elbow, up the trans tunnel and to the back firewall then used a tee fitting to supply to each rail. I slide the entire new 8an fuel line into a larger size fire sleeve. I used 10an sleeve so it was a easy slide in ( line into sleeve) and a bit loose not tight on the line. Works great and was a cheap mod but nice improvement.

One thing you should give a try, is remove the rubber seal that runs along the back plastic above the fire wall that goes from drivers side to passenger side. Takes 2 seconds to pull off and makes a big difference for letting more heat out the engine bay. It will create about a 1/4" air gap across the entire back wall allowing tons of heat to get pushed out. I noticed a huge difference with less heat soak on everything from fuel rails to the brake reservoir etc etc, because the heat and air is being pushed out instead of being trapped.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Ok good, I'll try that, free and easy, why not. I know its a low pressure area not too much wont come out, but any improvement is welcome here!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote