Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Common reactions you encounter from people when driving your Z28 in public?

What are some common reactions you encounter from people when driving your Z28 in public?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
NastyNate'sZ28

Drives: Chevy Camaro Z28
Nice ZL1 ;(
NastyNate'sZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
When driving, usually pictures or the occasional sneak-peak video (i.e. driving with their phone raised trying to look inconspicuous).

When parked, a lot of ooo's and aaa's about the color/wing/wheels/sound.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
“Never seen one of those in person before”

“Whats engine?” Re: ls7 “whats it run?” Re: depends on the track. “???” Re: *points to road course layout stickers* “oooooh, not a drag car”

“Jesus christ those brake rotors are big”

I live in a very ‘old school’ area. Road courses take explanation to some of these folks.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Shoupaloop

Drives: 2015 Z28
Lots of comments at gas stations. Especially with the orange matte wrap. Also, when picking up pizza or something, I get the occasional compliment/comment. When I park and walk in to work, I get stopped a bunch too. It has a tendency to make me late. LOL
Shoupaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Generally - none - I go to a big cars and coffee often in San Clemente CA and most times the car does not even get a second look.

One exception in the last 6 months was I pulled into a shopping parking lot and drove by some stores and an Italian restaurant to get to available parking. When I got out there were two guys making a bee line for me. They came up and one turned to the other and he said "yep you were right it is a Z/28" - then told me they were in the store and "heard" me drive by "but did not see me". His buddy insisted it was a Z/28, his dream car.

So I spent 10 minutes with them let him sit in it, look under the hood, in the trunk etc. He said one day he would buy one, he was the owner of a the Italian place in the center.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Generally - none - I go to a big cars and coffee often in San Clemente CA and most times the car does not even get a second look.

One exception in the last 6 months was I pulled into a shopping parking lot and drove by some stores and an Italian restaurant to get to available parking. When I got out there were two guys making a bee line for me. They came up and one turned to the other and he said "yep you were right it is a Z/28" - then told me they were in the store and "heard" me drive by "but did not see me". His buddy insisted it was a Z/28, his dream car.

So I spent 10 minutes with them let him sit in it, look under the hood, in the trunk etc. He said one day he would buy one, he was the owner of a the Italian place in the center.
Ditto = None.

Northern NJ is full of expensive cars and generally the drivers won't even look at a Chevy. Like SuperCup, "very" occasionally someone will know what it is and surprisingly, (or perhaps not) it's usually a GT3 owner who has either driven one or has been passed by one on track.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Dallas has its share of high end performance cars and my Z still pulls plenty of attention. The most interesting thing is that its such a wide variety of people. Mine is modified so that increases the attention, but it got plenty when stock. Mostly waves, thumbs up, etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:08 AM   #9
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
In Brooklyn, NY. Car gets a lot of attention. Have a lot of high end cars in my area and this thing still gets attention. People say they never see something like that on the road. It does look more unique than most cars out there IMO.

I'm modded so it has the lopey idle sound and it looks like a stealth fighter on the road with the splitter and wing lol. BMW M3/M4 guys always notice it. Hellcat crowd always notices it. I've had people come up and take pics of it while driving around Manhattan. Regular non car people usually ask what it is and how much horsepower it has.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #10
RogerZ28

Drives: Camaro Z28 Mj.14 Black
Hi,

here in Switzerland there are just 5 Z28,i believe . 3 in Black and 2 in White.
We have around 2000 Camaros of the 5th and 6th Generations here,but only 5 Z28.

So its allways funny to see the reaction of the people on Car Meets,because allmost
nobody knows the 2014/15 Z28.

There are a lots of modifights camaros here,but even not a lot of Z28.

Cheers
Roger
RogerZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I would assume that it is the same as when my Dad's ZL1 was brand new. Unless the people looking at it were true car guys, the majority of people didn't even know what it was.

"Oh, it's just a Camaro.".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
99% of people walk right past it, have no idea.

I have gotten a few knowing reactions....

-I went to my local Chevy dealer to pick up some parts and the sales parasite in the parking lot walked up to me and said "You aren't planning on trading that in, are you?" with an awed voice. I said no and went inside. Came back out to see pretty much ALL of the sales people walking around it (this is a volume Corvette dealer).

-Was up in Marietta going to Viking Alchemist one day (was stopped at a red light) and a guy walking down the street started freaking out, giving me a thumbs up and taking pictures on his phone.

-Stopped at a grocery store once to let my wife run in briefly and some guys from an mechanic next door ran over and were asking me questions, taking pictures, asked me to start it up, etc.

-Went by my tint guy who was helping one of the car-club people with an ST engine swap and when I walked in, everyone else was walking out to look at the Camaro (the tint guy had a 2012 Z06) and one of the club guys had his like 6 year old with him and pointed at the car and said "You know how daddy's car is fast? Well this is a RACE car" in that way you explain something to a little kid.

But most people just ignore me, and that's the way I like it. I like SOME people to know, the ones who are actual enthusiasts.... but I never liked it when I had my 72 442 and every single gas stop, red light, parking lot, etc had people coming up to you wanting to talk about it, or their car, or whatever..... Or my brother had a 67 Mustang and couldn't take it ANYWHERE without people wanting to tell him about THEIR classic Mustang. He got pulled over for speeding once and the COP was telling stories about his old classic Mustang. Let my brother off with a warning which was nice.

I did get ONE bad reaction to my Z28.... was at a car show and saw a 68 Z/28 (possibly a clone, I don't know) and the guy preceded to lecture me on how to vote for his car. Laughed him off and walked away. 30 minutes later I was standing near my car answering a question someone had and that same dude butts in and starts talking about "You know in 5 years my car will be worth twice what it is now and you'rs MIGHT be worth half". I answered "If that's why you have your car, I am sorry for you." and walked away. Douche kinda ruined my mood for awhile.

Side story, the one thing that made me laugh about owning this car... was playing Forza Horizon 4 and I bought a Z/28 from the auction house and you can put "perks" on certain cars in the game.... one of the perks you could choose for the Z/28 was additional experience points for winning races with (paraphrasing) "Underpowered domestic vehicles"
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
-I went to my local Chevy dealer to pick up some parts and the sales parasite in the parking lot walked up to me and said "You aren't planning on trading that in, are you?" with an awed voice. I said no and went inside. Came back out to see pretty much ALL of the sales people walking around it (this is a volume Corvette dealer)
I kid you not Dog, my local Chevrolet dealer in zip code 07882 didn't and still doesn't, even know what a Gen5 Z/28 is. After attempting to align we both agreed that I should take the car elsewhere... sad.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #14
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
I kid you not Dog, my local Chevrolet dealer in zip code 07882 didn't and still doesn't, even know what a Gen5 Z/28 is. After attempting to align we both agreed that I should take the car elsewhere... sad.
That is quite disappointing for certain.

This dealership, Maxie Price Chevrolet, is a volume Corvette Dealer (had a C6.R in their showroom for awhile) and atleast some of the staff are enthusiasts.... that being said, I wouldn't trust them to check my wiper fluid (which they'd charge you $50 to do probably).
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote