Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #43
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z650HP View Post
Oh sweet man!
Please please post your likes/dislikes of the axle back.
Really interested in getting it, as long as its not stupid loud and has no drone.
Wow! Ok, so the AWE axle back sounds freakin amazing. Videos just don’t do it justice at all! Much deeper burble at idle, I’ve experienced zero drone around town (haven’t been on the freeway yet, will tomorrow), and almost stock volume inside the cabin just cruising. However, drop the hammer a bit...or all the way...and hell is unleashed! It’s glorious! Yes, it’s loud. Quite loud. But in an awesome way I think! Thankfully it can be tame if you want it to be. Tips fill up the cutouts perfectly and the black chrome finish looks fantastic.

Couldn’t be happier with purchase! Of course I’ve only driven it about 10 miles so far. More tomorrow and this weekend!
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #44
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Wow! Ok, so the AWE axle back sounds freakin amazing. Videos just don’t do it justice at all! Much deeper burble at idle, I’ve experienced zero drone around town (haven’t been on the freeway yet, will tomorrow), and almost stock volume inside the cabin just cruising. However, drop the hammer a bit...or all the way...and hell is unleashed! It’s glorious! Yes, it’s loud. Quite loud. But in an awesome way I think! Thankfully it can be tame if you want it to be. Tips fill up the cutouts perfectly and the black chrome finish looks fantastic.

Couldn’t be happier with purchase! Of course I’ve only driven it about 10 miles so far. More tomorrow and this weekend!
Awesome man. Tips look fantastic! Thanks for your thoughts.
Install was probably a breeze I'm assuming?
When you say loud, how loud? If say the stock system is a 5 out of 10, where would you put this on a 1 -10 scale? Ten being the loudest.

Also curious about drone when you get on the highway. Please do update further if you would. Thanks
Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #45
MR2620

Drives: 2017 ZL1 - Hyper Blue
Quote:
Just so you know the non resonated cat back is louder then the touring axle back. Its the resonated cat back that is a touch quieter then there touring axle back. Just wanted to clarify that for you. That's per the chart on the previous page.

With that said I plan on doing the touring axle back for now. I don't want to be swapping the hole exhaust out and do not want headers.

I'm just looking for some more volume over stock, just hope its not too loud.
The non-resonated cat back is only louder than the axle back if you have the link pipes, which remove the cats. Otherwise the non-resonated cat back should be a touch quieter than the axle back according to their chart.

When I spoke with AWE last year, they indicated that the stock exhaust would be 1 on that chart. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it might help when deciding how much noise you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
MR2620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #46
Z650HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2620 View Post
The non-resonated cat back is only louder than the axle back if you have the link pipes, which remove the cats. Otherwise the non-resonated cat back should be a touch quieter than the axle back according to their chart.

When I spoke with AWE last year, they indicated that the stock exhaust would be 1 on that chart. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it might help when deciding how much noise you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks man I appreciate the input. Missed the bottom of the chart adding the link pipes. My bad, see it now.
Anyways I'm on the fence as I want to pull the trigger on the touring axle back cause I love the way it sounds but I'm still wondering if its going to be to loud for my liking.
Also not sure I'm willing to give up all the different exhaust modes. Then again I always run it in track now. So guess that wouldn't matter much.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #47
Z650HP

Why do so many go for the cat back over the axle back option?
Its pricier and more of a hassle to swap out then the axle back. Then on top of that you have to find a place to store thee annoyingly long stock system. At the very least you have to cut up the stock unit to put it somewhere if you don't have adequate space.
I'm sure with the cat back you free up more flow probably gaining a few extra hp but is that few ponies extra really worth it? It's nothing you'll ever notice.
Please someone school me here. Would love to know why people go for the added aggravation of install, worry about storage of stock and most of all the added 800 bucks ........
Thanks
Old 05-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #48
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Why do so many go for the cat back over the axle back option?
Its pricier and more of a hassle to swap out then the axle back. Then on top of that you have to find a place to store thee annoyingly long stock system. At the very least you have to cut up the stock unit to put it somewhere if you don't have adequate space.
I'm sure with the cat back you free up more flow probably gaining a few extra hp but is that few ponies extra really worth it? It's nothing you'll ever notice.
Please someone school me here. Would love to know why people go for the added aggravation of install, worry about storage of stock and most of all the added 800 bucks ........
Thanks

I believe lots of people go with the cat-back version mainly to get rid of the crimped section of the factory pipes. Also, it looks nicer underneath and probably is a better setup if you plan to do even more changes down the line (like removing cats, swapping headers, etc). Since I live in the communist state of California, I'm not doing anything but the exhaust. I want to keep my warranty and pass smog.

As to your question about the loudness on the scale of 1-10, I think it would best to place the stock at 1. I'd say my axle back is either a 4 or 5 and I'm sure the full blown AWE track version would be a 10.

Got to drive it a bit more today, and man it is good. I got it on the freeway and I actually think there is LESS drone in the cabin than the STOCK exhaust with the NPP fuse removed (so what I'm saying is there is ZERO drone at speed). I found it easier to talk to my wife going 70mph on the freeway than with the stock exhaust (and I have shitty hearing). I did a little full throttle run on the freeway from about 40-95 at lunch, holy hell it was glorious! Race car sounds!!
I guess the one downside is I'm going to have to be even more aware of cops now. They will definitely hear me coming if I'm on the go pedal.

P.S. The wife LOVES it.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #49
Z650HP

Quote:
I believe lots of people go with the cat-back version mainly to get rid of the crimped section of the factory pipes. Also, it looks nicer underneath and probably is a better setup if you plan to do even more changes down the line (like removing cats, swapping headers, etc). Since I live in the communist state of California, I'm not doing anything but the exhaust. I want to keep my warranty and pass smog.

As to your question about the loudness on the scale of 1-10, I think it would best to place the stock at 1. I'd say my axle back is either a 4 or 5 and I'm sure the full blown AWE track version would be a 10.

Got to drive it a bit more today, and man it is good. I got it on the freeway and I actually think there is LESS drone in the cabin than the STOCK exhaust with the NPP fuse removed (so what I'm saying is there is ZERO drone at speed). I found it easier to talk to my wife going 70mph on the freeway than with the stock exhaust (and I have shitty hearing). I did a little full throttle run on the freeway from about 40-95 at lunch, holy hell it was glorious! Race car sounds!!
I guess the one downside is I'm going to have to be even more aware of cops now. They will definitely hear me coming if I'm on the go pedal.

P.S. The wife LOVES it.
Man thanks for all the feedback and replies, very much appreciate it.
Think I'm just going to pull the trigger on it tonight. Plus I'm getting a military discount. Can't beat it for the value considering how much corsa and borla are. I mean if borla and corsa sounded better to me then I wouldn't care about the price, so its just nice that the axle back I prefer is hundreds cheaper. Win! That's what I pretty much thought about why people go with the cat back over the axle. Doesn't make sense for me.
But yeah if I don't get it I won't ever know and that I can't live with.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #50
scooter k

Drives: ex-wife's car
Quote:
Man thanks for all the feedback and replies, very much appreciate it.
Think I'm just going to pull the trigger on it tonight. Plus I'm getting a military discount. Can't beat it for the value considering how much corsa and borla are. I mean if borla and corsa sounded better to me then I wouldn't care about the price, so its just nice that the axle back I prefer is hundreds cheaper. Win! That's what I pretty much thought about why people go with the cat back over the axle. Doesn't make sense for me.
But yeah if I don't get it I won't ever know and that I can't live with.
The cat back looks nicer but it's been proven that the crimped section in the stock exhaust doesn't restrict the flow. So it'd be looks only when replacing it.
scooter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #51
Z650HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter k View Post
The cat back looks nicer but it's been proven that the crimped section in the stock exhaust doesn't restrict the flow. So it'd be looks only when replacing it.

Agreed and I could care less about how the undercarriage looks. Just as longs as there is no rust or rot, etc........
Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #52
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
This looks great.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #53
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

It looks fantastic! I need to hear this exhaust in person. Hoping I run into someone at a meet or show. Thanks for the pics and initial impressions.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #54
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Ok, ok, ok... I was about to order a Borla atak catback (because it retains the NPP), but I'll call my guy @ Vivid Racing tomorrow and place an order for the AWE Touring catback (non-resonated). Just when I thought I made my mind up between Flowmaster axleback and Borla catback, this comes along... Good timing though. The Borla is quite expensive, which is fine. Sometimes in life, you get what you pay for. I did call AWE today, and after speaking with them (and Borla the day before), plus doing a bit more research (like this thread), it's becoming more clear. I can essentially get something at the same quality level (I've owned AWE products on a few different German cars in the past), and might be able to sneak in a Roto-Fab CAI at nearly the same cost as a Borla alone. Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the extra nudge, guys!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote